2016 Mugello Gran Premio d'Italia TIM

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Squidpuppet

2016 Mugello Gran Premio d'Italia TIM

Post by Squidpuppet »

I think Lorenzo is favored for this one. Good record and momentum.

andrebt

Re: 2016 Mugello Gran Premio d'Italia TIM

Post by andrebt »

Going by Qatar alone my money is on the TMJ as this track strongly favors the duc.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Rossi or Lorenzo for me. If rossi can go after the right tire from fp1 gets a front row he has a chance to win. Otherwise JL is almost a certainty.
Iannone to win. What are the odds on that

SirSinCity

Post by SirSinCity »

I'm thinking another Yamaha 1-2 Lorenzo Rossi. However if Rossi can get on the first or second row, he will be able to challenge Lorenzo before he gets too far away. Hopefully Michelin will have an improved front.

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

50-50 on Marquez being on the podium. Pedrosa wild card for podium.

The pressure on Ducati to do well will be high. Higher still for at least one of the riders. ;) They may all get lynched if they keep on with current race finish form, with the exception of Dovi. He's too nice a bloke, and no-one ever seems mad at him, except himself.

It will be unusual if both Yamahas' aren't on the podium. Tech 3, 4th and 6th/7th

Suzuki somewhere from 5th to 9th.

Crutchlow could surprise. 100:1 on that, $5 bet. ;)

smAshmoto

Post by smAshmoto »

Rossi
Lorenzo
Iannone

In that order.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

Rossi, Marquez, Lorenzo so that the championship is split by 3 points .

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Is no one going for the Ducati Podium predictions anymore? :D

Seems you gotta give me a shot here at least..

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

There is a ladder over the front door of Dovis' motorhome, and a black cat magnet. ;) :|

Iannone ? At the moment, that's like throwing playing cards in the air and trying to predict which ones will land face up.

Should go well, but the way their luck has been so far...... :?

smAshmoto

Post by smAshmoto »

kenup283 wrote:Is no one going for the Ducati Podium predictions anymore? :D

Seems you gotta give me a shot here at least..
smAshmoto wrote:Rossi
Lorenzo
Iannone

In that order.
But what is this? :D
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Dayle88 wrote:Rossi, Marquez, Lorenzo so that the championship is split by 3 points .
This scenario would be a winner.

tomdenouden

Post by tomdenouden »

Lorenzo / Dovi / Rossi, AI & MM will fight for 4, 6-10 PED, VIN, ESA, ESP, SMI/CRU/PET

hdot

Post by hdot »

Lorenzo is the favorite IMO. He's won here 4 of the last 5 times. Only time he lost was when Marquez was on his 2014 rampage.

Real fight will be for 2nd. This track is kind of a great equalizer. Honda doesn't have any hairpins to worry about, and most of the straights are pretty short. But they will get abused several times over on the front straight. I consider Yamaha and Suzuki to be similar with Yamaha obviously being superior. I would tip Yamaha to be the favorite.... but while I see Rossi being a podium contender he hasn't been as strong here since coming back to Yamaha. Ducs are another potential favorite.... they will murder everyone on the straight and they should be able to get through the corners OK. Plus Mugello is home. But can they finish?

I'm seeing Lorenzo riding off into the sunset, with Iannone, Marquez and Rossi scrapping for 2nd.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

hdot wrote:Ducs are another potential favorite.... they will murder everyone on the straight and they should be able to get through the corners OK. Plus Mugello is home. But can they finish?
My worry is that we are seeing the start of similarities to last year... Dovi said that they use the tyre too quickly, start well and fade in the races.

I believe we will see a Yamaha winner.

SirSinCity

Post by SirSinCity »

hdot wrote:Lorenzo is the favorite IMO. He's won here 4 of the last 5 times. Only time he lost was when Marquez was on his 2014 rampage.

Real fight will be for 2nd. This track is kind of a great equalizer. Honda doesn't have any hairpins to worry about, and most of the straights are pretty short. But they will get abused several times over on the front straight. I consider Yamaha and Suzuki to be similar with Yamaha obviously being superior. I would tip Yamaha to be the favorite.... but while I see Rossi being a podium contender he hasn't been as strong here since coming back to Yamaha. Ducs are another potential favorite.... they will murder everyone on the straight and they should be able to get through the corners OK. Plus Mugello is home. But can they finish?

I'm seeing Lorenzo riding off into the sunset, with Iannone, Marquez and Rossi scrapping for 2nd.
Excellent prediction, most likely will end up as you've stated. Unless the Ducs get great starts from 1st or 2nd row and are at the front cutting up Lorenzo for a few laps which would allow others to join in.

CLX

Post by CLX »

It's this week already? Nops, nevermind.

Rossi is my favourite. Old school tyres, new found qualifying form, perfectly motivated and healthy, loves to upstage Lorenzo and steal the spotlight and 2008 was a long time ago. And I think Michelin will be too afraid of Mugello's speed to bring softer tyres which favours riders who carry the most corner speed.

My prediction:

Rossi, Dovizioso (I'm taking a wild swing here), Lorenzo, Marquez, Vinales, Ianonne (I'm afraid the pressure will be too much for him to have a perfect weekend) and Pedrosa.

Edit: Either that or Marquez, Vinales, Lorenzo for a real shocker.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Sorry missed you smAshmoto. :oops:

I wonder though if we see Ducati reduce the wing size. Pushing that much air resistance will be detrimental at a certain point. Besides they can hardly get any bigger after what we saw last time out.

As for tires. Curious if Michelin continue to bring 3 tire choices. It makes Friday Practice and a good weather prediction important as the teams must choose their allocation after FP2 for the entire weekend.

Michelin bringing more choices does not increase the teams allotment. So they would need to be sure have at least a couple of each, which takes up half your rear allotment right there and nearly all your front allotment, and then decide on the balance for which ones you think would be best for the race to work on set up for.

hdot

Post by hdot »

SirSinCity wrote:
hdot wrote:Lorenzo is the favorite IMO. He's won here 4 of the last 5 times. Only time he lost was when Marquez was on his 2014 rampage.

Excellent prediction, most likely will end up as you've stated. Unless the Ducs get great starts from 1st or 2nd row and are at the front cutting up Lorenzo for a few laps which would allow others to join in.
Even if he gets in a scrap... if he can find his same pace he will be unstoppable. There's no amount of defensive riding that could stop him, based on history at least... last year he was as far as 8 seconds ahead of Iannone in 2nd by lap 16 of 23 :!: We will see though, anything can happen. But if there's anywhere I see Lorenzo making for a boring fight for 1st it's here. I race there online all the time and it's definitely suited for him. Turns 6-9 are incredible.

ieism

Post by ieism »

I sometimes miss RatsMC's prediction contest, this would have been such a great season for it. :D

I'm going with an all Italian podium.
1. AI
2. Rossi
3. Dovi
"I get it, you're favorite rider is better than mine. Just stop trying to convince me to join your fanclub ok?"

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

hdot wrote: Even if he gets in a scrap... if he can find his same pace he will be unstoppable. There's no amount of defensive riding that could stop him, based on history at least... last year he was as far as 8 seconds ahead of Iannone in 2nd by lap 16 of 23 :!: We will see though, anything can happen. But if there's anywhere I see Lorenzo making for a boring fight for 1st it's here. I race there online all the time and it's definitely suited for him. Turns 6-9 are incredible.
Totally agree, Lorenzo will win this one. Turns 6-9 I think are from Casanova to Arrabbiata 2, if I could design a race track that section might be in it!

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

I see Iannone winning this one (if the stars are alight), last year Rossi said he couldn´t get Ianonne, the Honda´s will be nowhere, Dovi and Petrucci for top 5, and if Rossi stays with Lorenzo after the 2º lap, i see Rossi win, if not, that´s almost impossible, Lorenzo is too strong in this one.

My Prediticion:

1º Rossi
2º Iannone
3º Lorenzo
4º Dovi
5º Petrucci

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

a fantastic duel between Rossi and Jlo here, one of them looking flustered in parc ferme

An Andrea to round out the podium

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Imagine the carnage if Rossi does win... That would be some festival at Mugello!

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Finally a Ducati win !

It has to happen eventually :)

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

Iannone.

Sounds like all the seat shifting has finished, so nothing to lose, no-one to impress. Pressure off. Just riding to win the race. ;)

Long front straight. :D ;)