Agostini vs Rossi

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
smAshmoto
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:01 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by smAshmoto »

9 to equal it, 10 to beat it. Oh baby!

I know I'm just pissing in the wind here, but....

Remaining races, ones in bold I think Rossi has a serious chance of winning:

5 8 May - France, Le Mans
6 22 May - Italy, Mugello
7 5 June - Catalonia, Catalunya
8 26 June - Netherlands, Assen
9 17 July - Germany, Sachsenring
10 14 August - Austria, Red Bull Ring
11 21 August - Czech Republic, Brno
12 4 September - United Kingdom, Silverstone
13 11 September - San Marino, Misano
14 25 September - Aragon, Aragón
15 15 October - Japan, Motegi
16 23 October - Australia, Phillip Island
17 30 October - Malaysia, Sepang

18 13 November - Valencia, Ricardo Tormo

Not saying he will win all of those of course, just they're more likely the circuits we could see him win at. If he were to win all of the above (not very likely) then that would give us 8 races, leaving him 1 shy of equalling and 2 shy of beating that record.

So whilst I'm excited it still shows how long of a road this is to beat. Even if he were to win 8 more races this season, he still would have to win 2 in 2017 to beat the record.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

Fred Gassit
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:56 am

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Fred Gassit »

As long as there's pissing in the wind to be done, I'd throw in Sachsenring this year as well.

Those Hondas' aren't going to go so well there this year I think. To up the breeze some and risk more splash back, I'd wager Lorenzo might be in a bit of a mood by then as well......

PI and Sepang could be Duc territory though, and likely to diminish the things that are affecting the Hondas' performance enabling them ( or Marquez ;) ) to do what they/he did in Argentina and COTA..


Still..... Close ! Could be do-able !

User avatar
JanBros
Posts: 1887
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: The land of Francorchamps

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by JanBros »

And any wet race has Rossi on top for the win ;)
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

User avatar
Tourn46
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Tourn46 »

JanBros wrote:And any wet race has Rossi on top for the win ;)
Good shout actually... I hadn't really thought about that side of things when I was pondering the chances!

Nessuno
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:36 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Nessuno »

I'd love to see Rossi do a Joey and race competitively well into his 40s...

User avatar
CLX
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Bogotá

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by CLX »

I like the list, but I'd remove Motegi. Rossi's record there just isn't strong enough, for his competitive standards and as compared to other circuits. Lorenzo though seems stronger.

On the other hand, I'd definitely keep Sepang and Phillip Island. A circuit being Duc territory only means they'll fight for the podium, in all honesty. Qatar was Duc territory, Argentina was, Austin was...

Rossi's new found form on Michelin changes my expectation for this record falling. I used to think it was simply possible, now I think it's probable. Jesus, imagine the partying on the night he does it...

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

User avatar
Fingernails
Posts: 1546
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Fingernails »

I do think we need a few more races to see if Rossi's dominance is a flash in the pan, or the start of a trend. It could easily be either.

Doesn't Rossi have one less championship in the top league than Ago? EDIT: Yes, seven versus eight. That's something that Vale could equal him on.

LuvdmyoldXS750SE
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by LuvdmyoldXS750SE »

[quote="Cobbett"] "... you then also remember that Agostini has ten wins around the Isle of Man course... Imagine VR lining up between McGuinness and Anstey. I would swim there to see that."

- is that the best post, on any forum, anywhere on the internet, in the entire history of the world?

[Brief pause for thought.]

Yes, it is.

User avatar
SirSinCity
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by SirSinCity »

LuvdmyoldXS750SE wrote:
Cobbett wrote: "... you then also remember that Agostini has ten wins around the Isle of Man course... Imagine VR lining up between McGuinness and Anstey. I would swim there to see that."

- is that the best post, on any forum, anywhere on the internet, in the entire history of the world?

[Brief pause for thought.]

Yes, it is.
:lol: It is pretty good

User avatar
Squidpuppet
Posts: 3924
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm
Location: CdA, ID

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Squidpuppet »

SirSinCity wrote:
LuvdmyoldXS750SE wrote:
Cobbett wrote: "... you then also remember that Agostini has ten wins around the Isle of Man course... Imagine VR lining up between McGuinness and Anstey. I would swim there to see that."

- is that the best post, on any forum, anywhere on the internet, in the entire history of the world?

[Brief pause for thought.]

Yes, it is.
:lol: It is pretty good
Yes, and it deserves a Golf Clap

smAshmoto
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:01 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by smAshmoto »

CLX wrote: Rossi's new found form on Michelin changes my expectation for this record falling. I used to think it was simply possible, now I think it's probable. Jesus, imagine the partying on the night he does it...
I know I'll be taking a week off to celebrate. Might even fly to Italy for it.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

AJracing
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 am
Location: Calgary, AB - Canada

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by AJracing »

smAshmoto wrote:9 to equal it, 10 to beat it. Oh baby!

I know I'm just pissing in the wind here, but....

Remaining races, ones in bold I think Rossi has a serious chance of winning:

5 8 May - France, Le Mans
6 22 May - Italy, Mugello
7 5 June - Catalonia, Catalunya
8 26 June - Netherlands, Assen
9 17 July - Germany, Sachsenring
10 14 August - Austria, Red Bull Ring
11 21 August - Czech Republic, Brno
12 4 September - United Kingdom, Silverstone
13 11 September - San Marino, Misano
14 25 September - Aragon, Aragón
15 15 October - Japan, Motegi
16 23 October - Australia, Phillip Island
17 30 October - Malaysia, Sepang

18 13 November - Valencia, Ricardo Tormo

Not saying he will win all of those of course, just they're more likely the circuits we could see him win at. If he were to win all of the above (not very likely) then that would give us 8 races, leaving him 1 shy of equalling and 2 shy of beating that record.

So whilst I'm excited it still shows how long of a road this is to beat. Even if he were to win 8 more races this season, he still would have to win 2 in 2017 to beat the record.
On the money!!

smAshmoto
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:01 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by smAshmoto »

AJracing wrote:
smAshmoto wrote:9 to equal it, 10 to beat it. Oh baby!

I know I'm just pissing in the wind here, but....

Remaining races, ones in bold I think Rossi has a serious chance of winning:

5 8 May - France, Le Mans
6 22 May - Italy, Mugello
7 5 June - Catalonia, Catalunya
8 26 June - Netherlands, Assen
9 17 July - Germany, Sachsenring
10 14 August - Austria, Red Bull Ring
11 21 August - Czech Republic, Brno
12 4 September - United Kingdom, Silverstone
13 11 September - San Marino, Misano
14 25 September - Aragon, Aragón
15 15 October - Japan, Motegi
16 23 October - Australia, Phillip Island
17 30 October - Malaysia, Sepang

18 13 November - Valencia, Ricardo Tormo

Not saying he will win all of those of course, just they're more likely the circuits we could see him win at. If he were to win all of the above (not very likely) then that would give us 8 races, leaving him 1 shy of equalling and 2 shy of beating that record.

So whilst I'm excited it still shows how long of a road this is to beat. Even if he were to win 8 more races this season, he still would have to win 2 in 2017 to beat the record.
On the money!!
I'm impressing myself here!

He was definitely a contender at Mugello prior to the engine implosion too!
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

User avatar
Squidpuppet
Posts: 3924
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm
Location: CdA, ID

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Squidpuppet »

Squidpuppet wrote: April 26th: He won four races last year. If he can duplicate that for three seasons, he's got it. He'd need to win one out of every five from here on out. It's doable, with some luck. I'll be rooting for him.
In just six weeks his chances have improved a lot. With 47 races left, now he only needs to win one out of every 5.875 remaining.

I want to see it happen!!!!

User avatar
CLX
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Bogotá

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by CLX »

Seems like a mater of time now.

Hopefully it'll happen in Europe. Mugello 2017 would be perfect.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Dayle88
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Dayle88 »

I've decided to double down on my Rossi will win eight this year so minus one for Mugello and I think he'll win five more this year. That would leave three to win in 2017 before Mugello. I expect Lorenzo will win all three of the first races of next year by 20 seconds on the Ducati and then not get another podium all year so that's a tough ask :lol:

User avatar
Kropotkin
Site Admin
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Dieren, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Kropotkin »

Just want to point out that Giacomo Agostini insists that he has 123 Grand Prix wins, as he won an F750 race in the one year it was a World Championship class. So to go beyond any argument, even the most tenuous of debates, then Rossi will have to get 124 wins. Which I think he will do with ease.

Given that he has two and a half seasons left, or 47 races, perhaps we should start taking bets on his total # of wins by the end of the 2018 season*?

I reckon he will make 125 wins.


* (I am not calling it "before his retirement", because I am not convinced he will retire at the end of 2018, if he's still winning races...)
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

User avatar
CLX
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Bogotá

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by CLX »

Hum... Intense futurology and what-ifism, I like it.

Rossi will win at least three more this season. Say Assen, Brno and Misano. And might or not win Sachsenring, Phillip Island, and Sepang. So I'll go with 4.

Next year it'll be less difficult having Vinales instead of Lorenzo, but HRC should improve as well, even if by simple better understanding of tyres and electronics. So Rossi won't run away with it, but he'll still win enough and always be there.

I guess the Gods of racing will conspire to have 124 come at Misano.

Two big questions:
1 - When will he reach 100 premier class wins?
2 - David, what is Dorna's take on GA's record? Seing as they are the promoter, they should at least know when to schedule proper eventual celebrations and promotional work. This is a once in a lifetime only opportunity for them. Literally.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

User avatar
Kropotkin
Site Admin
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Dieren, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Kropotkin »

CLX wrote:Hum... Intense futurology and what-ifism, I like it.

Rossi will win at least three more this season. Say Assen, Brno and Misano. And might or not win Sachsenring, Phillip Island, and Sepang. So I'll go with 4.

Next year it'll be less difficult having Vinales instead of Lorenzo, but HRC should improve as well, even if by simple better understanding of tyres and electronics. So Rossi won't run away with it, but he'll still win enough and always be there.

I guess the Gods of racing will conspire to have 124 come at Misano.

Two big questions:
1 - When will he reach 100 premier class wins?
2 - David, what is Dorna's take on GA's record? Seing as they are the promoter, they should at least know when to schedule proper eventual celebrations and promotional work. This is a once in a lifetime only opportunity for them. Literally.
Dorna's official statistics say 122 wins. Agostini says 123 wins. I think Agostini won't start openly disagreeing with Dorna's numbers until Rossi wins 122 races ...
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

smAshmoto
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:01 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by smAshmoto »

Kropotkin wrote:
CLX wrote:Hum... Intense futurology and what-ifism, I like it.

Rossi will win at least three more this season. Say Assen, Brno and Misano. And might or not win Sachsenring, Phillip Island, and Sepang. So I'll go with 4.

Next year it'll be less difficult having Vinales instead of Lorenzo, but HRC should improve as well, even if by simple better understanding of tyres and electronics. So Rossi won't run away with it, but he'll still win enough and always be there.

I guess the Gods of racing will conspire to have 124 come at Misano.

Two big questions:
1 - When will he reach 100 premier class wins?
2 - David, what is Dorna's take on GA's record? Seing as they are the promoter, they should at least know when to schedule proper eventual celebrations and promotional work. This is a once in a lifetime only opportunity for them. Literally.
Dorna's official statistics say 122 wins. Agostini says 123 wins. I think Agostini won't start openly disagreeing with Dorna's numbers until Rossi wins 122 races ...
Well knowing Valentino , he'll make it 124 just to play it safe. :lol:

Valentino has 88 Premier Class wins, so if he keeps winning I'd say it will be possibly the season after he does Ago's record.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

AJracing
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 am
Location: Calgary, AB - Canada

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by AJracing »

Vr 46 episode 3 is out on YouTube. On the monster series. The ranch. Epic video.

Couldn't link it. Sorry guys.

User avatar
CLX
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Bogotá

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by CLX »

BUMP

I think it might be worth bringing this up again.

If Rossi keeps his new found Assen form and the weather help until the end of the season, he might get some 3 or 4 more wins and suddenly be right on Agostini's doorstep.

Brmo, Misano, Sepang, Phillip Island. Thos are 4 circuits in which I wouldn't bet against him on less crazy weekends.

Thoughts?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

User avatar
Mikesbytes
Posts: 2502
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 am

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Mikesbytes »

Rossi has 115 wins vs Ago's 122 wins overall.

The environment is quite different with Ago competing in multiple races at the same event where Rossi has accumulated his wins over twice as many years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... ng_winners

I'm not sure what the total is if its restricted to 500cc/MotoGP but I do know that Ago isn't happy when someone suggests that Rossi is the greatest rider of all time (GOAT)
My signature isn't particularly interesting

User avatar
Tourn46
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by Tourn46 »

Premier class only, it's 89 for Rossi, 68 for Agostini.

User avatar
SirSinCity
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Agostini vs Rossi

Post by SirSinCity »

Tourn46 wrote:Premier class only, it's 89 for Rossi, 68 for Agostini.
I wonder how long it will take for this to be realized then spoken of the same way riders are now 9-times, and 5-times world champion. Also, are Rossi's 125 and 250 wins counted like Ago's?

Post Reply