2016 Round 1 - Qatar GP *** SPOILERS

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
CLX

2016 Round 1 - Qatar GP *** SPOILERS

Post by CLX »

Here we go again.

Tyres, electornics, HRC in the wilderness - or not, GP16, Maverick Vinales; I have no idea what to expect. The closest I dare to guess is that Lorenzo and Rossi should have strong weekends.

And if somehow the GP blows away last seasons' aftertaste, we'll all win. If not, David will have a lot of moderating to do.

---

Anyone dares to make predictions?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Re: 2016 Round 1 - Qatar GP *** SPOILERS

Post by hdot »

Everything is in the air. Only thing I can see is Lorenzo being strong. Literally everything else is up for grabs from any and everybody, except Aprilia and Jack Miller :mrgreen:

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

My podium prediction

1. Rossi
2. Redding
3. Dovizioso

Redding and Dovizioso don't get near the podium again for the rest of the year.

Cobbett

Post by Cobbett »

1. Lorenzo
2. Rossi
3. Marquez

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

Given how the pecking order looks fluid if the test are to believed, I'm expecting suprises. As for podium picks:

1. Maniac Joe
2. Rossi
3. Crutchlow

@CLX

I clearly agree with you on Honda's situation...

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

hdot wrote:Everything is in the air. Only thing I can see is Lorenzo being strong. Literally everything else is up for grabs from any and everybody, except Aprilia and Jack Miller :mrgreen:
Someone has been paying too much attention to the headline test results.

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

Don't know.

There will be a race, someone will win, someone will come second, someone will come third.

Someone/some people may fall off.

Hopefully there is no riding like an arse from anybody.

And I mean anybody.

Here's hoping there's a return of rivalry/hatred concealed by decorum and/or mutual respect.

Otherwise known as "class".

;)

CLX

Post by CLX »

Do you guys expect any rider to have great pace but fall off a cliff with a few laps to go?

When was the last time tyre management was crucial, 2006?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

CLX wrote:Do you guys expect any rider to have great pace but fall off a cliff with a few laps to go?

When was the last time tyre management was crucial, 2006?
There will be those cases but I think pushing too hard will be a problem for the front tire and not the rear. Also I think it will have the opposite affect meaning riders will hold back and save some for the end rather than push and fall off a cliff. So far the michelins have not had any massive drop off on the rears but I don't think most of the distance runs have been under the heat of day either.

As for last time tire management was a factor. Motegi last year stands out. Philip Island does too.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I thought of Motegi, but it was wet and damp and with different tyres and electronics. Too different.

Then I remembered how Hayden usually faded a little in the races in 2006. I remember it being tyre related, rather than fuel. Or was it both?

-----

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Hey guys,

anyone catch the press conference? anything interesting? mm vr rivalry questions?

I missed it....

eckeph

Post by eckeph »

The only interesting thing I noticed was that VR never once looked at MM when he was speaking... He seems very pissed off indeed!

CLX

Post by CLX »

"The Michelins will not tolerate the sort of early-lap pressure the Bridgestones did, thus tactics and riding styles will have to change." http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2016/Mar ... rnotes.htm

I like how that sounds.

-----

ducati1098s

Post by ducati1098s »

Wow, that press conference was a very interesting piece of tv by Dorna :D :D :D :D :D :D

For those who do not subscribe to Motogp, the Press Conference tv feed began 5 -10 mins before the actual PC started, out the back in the corridor where the riders congregate whilst waiting to file in. Rossi arrived first and then was joined by Andrea, Pirro(?) and various Ducati guys. There was lots of jokes, handshakes etc. There was absolutely no sign of Lorenzo. They were then joined by Vinales but there was no sign of Marquez. Then after a few mins the camera-man panned the other way, behind him down the corridor and there was Marquez stood on his own with his Pr guy. I thought he looked quite uncomfortable and it was obvious he was not going to join Rossi and the others. He was then joined by Pedrosa in the corridor, they waited together for a further few mins before all of the riders filed into the actual pc. Only at that point did Lorenzo suddenly appear. As they filed in Rossi shook Pedrosa's hand but there was no eye contact or handshake (or even any form of acknowledgment) between VR and MM. Lorenzo was introduced as the 2015 WC and did not smile or anything. In fact he looked downright unhappy.

I have never known Dorna film the riders outside of a PC before so they clearly knew it would yield some great footage and feed the new VR/MM grudge narrative which fired up so much interest at the end of last year.

That was my take on things anyway

kuosenone

Post by kuosenone »

1. Iannone
2. Lorenzo
3. Redding

smAshmoto

Post by smAshmoto »

There's something wrong with me guys.

I don't even care about the hype for the first race. :(

That's very unlike me, but this season I just can't feel enthused.

Hopefully the first race is good and bullshit free, that might reignite my fire. I hope.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

smAshmoto wrote:There's something wrong with me guys.

Hopefully the first race is good and bullshit free, that might reignite my fire. I hope.
Hang in there dude, once you see these guys hanging off their bikes and doing what they do best... All will be forgotten :)

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

Out of the top runners, Pedrosas' press release seemed the least full of fluff and spin. Liking his class and honest approach. 8-)

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Similar to last year, Rossi and Lorenzo are the best on this track, and a Ducati will be on the podium too.

My prediction:

1º Rossi (2º in 2013, 2º in 2014 and 1º in 2015)
2º Lorenzo (1º in 2013, 2014 fell when leading on the 2º lap, and 4º in 2015, inches of the Ducati of Ianonne, "because of the helmet problem")
3º Dovizioso (it was his strong track last year)

CLX

Post by CLX »

Lorenzo's overall retrospect at Qatar merit him to at least make it to podium, unless something freak occurs. 8 races, 2 wins, 4 more podiums, 3 poles.

I also think Rossi will keep his cards close to his chest all weekend long until the flag drops.

-----

SirSinCity

Post by SirSinCity »

smAshmoto wrote:There's something wrong with me guys.

In my opinion something is wrong with you if you're "navel watching" bringing sour feelings from the end of last season into the beginning of this season instead of excitement or even a little anger. Any shenanigans at this time would only make the entire title fight more interesting given the changes to tires and electronics. It's...about...to go...down. :D

hdot

Post by hdot »

Wolfman wrote:Similar to last year, Rossi and Lorenzo are the best on this track, and a Ducati will be on the podium too.

My prediction:

2º Lorenzo (1º in 2013, 2014 fell when leading on the 2º lap, and 4º in 2015, inches of the Ducati of Ianonne, "because of the helmet problem")
I am not sure I agree with this method of prediction. For starters the grid is much, much, much stronger now than it ever has been. There was no podium threat from Iannone or Pedrosa. Maverick was not topping the test time sheets. Etc. Plus new tires and electronics means everyone is coming into this race at different levels of development/readiness. I think the aliens will be at the front... Lorenzo and Rossi will probably podium.... but I could think of 3-4 people in that 4th spot. And even Rossi could get knocked off if Marquez has his way

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

hdot wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Similar to last year, Rossi and Lorenzo are the best on this track, and a Ducati will be on the podium too.

My prediction:

I am not sure I agree with this method of prediction. For starters the grid is much, much, much stronger now than it ever has been. There was no podium threat from Iannone or Pedrosa. Maverick was not topping the test time sheets. Etc. Plus new tires and electronics means everyone is coming into this race at different levels of development/readiness. I think the aliens will be at the front... Lorenzo and Rossi will probably podium.... but I could think of 3-4 people in that 4th spot. And even Rossi could get knocked off if Marquez has his way
I get what you are saying but there is no evidence the grid is any 'stronger' than before. Go back and look at practice times from last year and you'll see all kinds of close times and random people struggling or have a tenth or two over everyone else and by the race you have Rossi, Lorenzo. Marquez and Pedrosa being the only ones capable of running a pace at the front. I'm excluding the Ducati's because they faded even though they were strong at the start of last year.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Can't wait for those red lights to go out with everyone lined up! The tension is killing me.

Causa Sui

Post by Causa Sui »

Jorge brought into play only one tire today and the 7th lap of his 1st run was already fast enough to top the whole session. Not sure whether dominate is the right term but it was still damn impressive. VR, MV and Iannone were great too.