2016 Round 1 - Qatar GP *** SPOILERS

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Tourn46

Re: 2016 Round 1 - Qatar GP *** SPOILERS

Post by Tourn46 »

I actually thought it was the least entertaining Qatar GP for a while.

The racing was close, but it wasn't entertaining... That said with the raft of changes for the year, it was perhaps as good as we could have expected so far.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Tom94 wrote:While on the subject of Crutchlow's electronic woes I wonder if the addition of a track position reset trigger located at the start/finish line would help.
That is exactly how they work. The ECU calculates the position of the bike constantly, and recalibrates its position four times a lap, every time it passes a timing loop. It is the sensor that was supposed to pick this up that caused the problem.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

VincentR

Post by VincentR »

Gustav O wrote:
VincentR wrote:Well its certainly heating up, I never really believed that Rossi and Jorge even slightly liked each other, now it seems the nastiness is coming out.
Funny thing though, when Rossi accidentally got in Jorge's way last year Misano, Rossi was apologetic and received a penalty point which directly contributed to him losing the title after leading all season.

Now Jorge gets in Rossi way-dawdling on the racing line, doesn't apologize and in fact argues the point disrespectfully (shades of the podium at Sepang 2015) then throws barbs in the press conference and most of all doesn't receive a penalty point. I've now lost any respect I had left for Lorenzo and I don't believe Yamaha actually want him anymore-despite him being the rather unconvincing reigning world champion.

Hope for a good race. Hope that Lorenzo goes to Ducati and learns some humility. Although I think Rossi may be right, he doesn't have the balls.
:lol:

Why are you even trying to pretend that you are not biased. You hate Lorenzo because he beats your darling, over and over. Pathetic.

Speaking of pathetic, get over yourself mate.

Now why don't you add to the debate instead of adding nothing. Tell us all why you think Lorenzo was in the right and didn't need to apologize-and why he should not have received a penalty.

VincentR

Post by VincentR »

Kropotkin wrote:
Tom94 wrote:While on the subject of Crutchlow's electronic woes I wonder if the addition of a track position reset trigger located at the start/finish line would help.
That is exactly how they work. The ECU calculates the position of the bike constantly, and recalibrates its position four times a lap, every time it passes a timing loop. It is the sensor that was supposed to pick this up that caused the problem.

I think everyone, including some of the riders really expected the electronics and tyres to have a much greater effect at the end of the race. Unfortunately it looked very 800 like, which is not good. Michelin have done an amazing job, but we certainly didn't get the race we thought, unfortunately the preseason hype got us all fired up for some change, and we got-the same and possibly more dull. Yes it was 7 seconds quicker than last year, (which is incredible considering the electronics are suppose to be far more ancient and uncivilized-certainly doesn't look that way) but I don't think many of us would have complained to see the laptimes fall at the end and some passing and maybe a suzuki closer to the front.

Lets hope Qatar was an anomiliy

Tom94

Post by Tom94 »

Actually this system worked quite well and there were fewer siezures than before. Due to their disk valves the Aprilias were harder to set up than the reed valve Hondas and Yamahas and this gave the Aprilias a little bit more wiggle room. The time parameters were quite small but enough to help keep the piston cooled off in closed throttle situations after a heavy load. But yes, like any electronic thing can and will do, it would goof from time to time.

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

I thought it was two things,

1. Qatar. Dew, lights, dust. It's an anomaly of a race anyway.

2. All the new stuff. Testing, even doing race runs, isn't actually racing.

A bit of trepidation maybe ? Not holding back per-se, but a bit of pushing within known boundaries/abilities ?

I think we may see something different next time out.

hdot

Post by hdot »

VincentR wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:

I think everyone, including some of the riders really expected the electronics and tyres to have a much greater effect at the end of the race. Unfortunately it looked very 800 like, which is not good. Michelin have done an amazing job, but we certainly didn't get the race we thought, unfortunately the preseason hype got us all fired up for some change, and we got-the same and possibly more dull. Yes it was 7 seconds quicker than last year, (which is incredible considering the electronics are suppose to be far more ancient and uncivilized-certainly doesn't look that way) but I don't think many of us would have complained to see the laptimes fall at the end and some passing and maybe a suzuki closer to the front.

Lets hope Qatar was an anomiliy
I think your expectations are unreasonably high. Every race can't be PI 2015 or Catalunya 2009. Just because there wasn't a huge shake up or tons of passing and drama doesn't mean it was a bad race, or indicative of some downturn in the quality of the action. It's just one race man. I think the fact that so many people dropped their race times despite all the technical changes is a pretty big accomplishment actually. I was expecting slower lap times and more crashes. Ease up

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

VincentR wrote:
Gustav O wrote:
VincentR wrote:Well its certainly heating up, I never really believed that Rossi and Jorge even slightly liked each other, now it seems the nastiness is coming out.
Funny thing though, when Rossi accidentally got in Jorge's way last year Misano, Rossi was apologetic and received a penalty point which directly contributed to him losing the title after leading all season.

Now Jorge gets in Rossi way-dawdling on the racing line, doesn't apologize and in fact argues the point disrespectfully (shades of the podium at Sepang 2015) then throws barbs in the press conference and most of all doesn't receive a penalty point. I've now lost any respect I had left for Lorenzo and I don't believe Yamaha actually want him anymore-despite him being the rather unconvincing reigning world champion.

Hope for a good race. Hope that Lorenzo goes to Ducati and learns some humility. Although I think Rossi may be right, he doesn't have the balls.
:lol:

Why are you even trying to pretend that you are not biased. You hate Lorenzo because he beats your darling, over and over. Pathetic.

Speaking of pathetic, get over yourself mate.

Now why don't you add to the debate instead of adding nothing. Tell us all why you think Lorenzo was in the right and didn't need to apologize-and why he should not have received a penalty.
I suggest everyone calm down, or I shall have to start taking measures. Name calling is not intelligent debate.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

CLX

Post by CLX »

Fred Gassit wrote:I thought it was two things,

1. Qatar. Dew, lights, dust. It's an anomaly of a race anyway.

2. All the new stuff. Testing, even doing race runs, isn't actually racing.

A bit of trepidation maybe ? Not holding back per-se, but a bit of pushing within known boundaries/abilities ?

I think we may see something different next time out.
Perhaps it was trepidation.
I also thought there were too few moves between riders so close. Especially when everybody knows that allowing Lorenzo to become comfortable in the lead is a kiss of death.

Maybe they were too afraid to dive bomb on these new tyres and risk a DNF. But even so, pushing Lorenzo wide and back would have helped them all.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

We all saw what happened with Crazy Joe. Crashing out = zero points. Once the tires improve and riders adapt to them we will get back to the action.

Plus again every race can't be one for the ages. Not knowing what's gonna happen is why we all tune in and stay interested. I did start to get bored by the end but I was happy to see the season start in earnest and the race generally go without a hitch. I think Iannone could have beat Lorenzo though.

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

People always say Qatar is an anomaly and not representative of the season. It certainly isn't a representation of who will win the championship and it doesn't dictate the entire years quality of racing but that's because no track does. The usual suspects have always been at the front at Qatar with Ducati thrown in the last two seasons (whether they continue form this year is a separate discussion.)

It has actually had a pretty good run of exciting races regardless of night lights and dew. 2013 had the battle between Rossi and Marquez for second, 2014 had Marquez versus Rossi for the win until the second to last lap and last year had a battle the whole way through with Rossi coming through the field to win on the last lap. Last years race was one of the best of the year along with Assen and Phillip Island for overtaking.

I felt the need to stick up for Qatar because for all it's faults the track itself has always provided plenty of opportunity for us to be entertained.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Well written.
:)

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

smAshmoto wrote:
One could ask the exact same question of you. Glass houses hey...
I am biased and I admit it.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Gustav O wrote:
smAshmoto wrote:
VincentR wrote: Speaking of pathetic, get over yourself mate.

I am fine, mate. But I do apologize for calilng your post pathetic. Not necessary.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

smAshmoto wrote:
VincentR wrote: Speaking of pathetic, get over yourself mate.

I am fine, mate. But I do apologize for calling your post pathetic. Not necessary.
Kropotkin wrote: I suggest everyone calm down, or I shall have to start taking measures. Name calling is not intelligent debate.
I will. Not up to par on my end.

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

When I said Qatar is an anomaly, I didn't mean to imply it's not a good race or circuit Dale. I only meant anomoly for the reasons you have listed.

This year, I'd factor in that everyone might have been feeling out the new stuff to some degree as well.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

The main disappointment for me was seeing Crazy Joe crash out. I was really expecting him to challenge Lorenzo for the win. It was interesting to see Dovi defending successfully against Marquez, but disappointing to see Rossi only really hanging on, without being able to mount a serious challenge for the podium.

oldboyonrgv

Post by oldboyonrgv »

The same crazy Joe that has always crashed when under extreme pressure, it was a shame but riders DNA dictates the same as the bikes DNA dictates.

brigdonia

Post by brigdonia »

Fingernails wrote:The main disappointment for me was seeing Crazy Joe crash out. I was really expecting him to challenge Lorenzo for the win.
Yeah it was a shame to see him bin it, had he kept it upright I think the race would've been much more eventful. Although Lorenzo clearly had the better pace (he won) he didn't win by much, at least not comparative to his dominant wins last year. I think having to pass 2 Ducatis would've made it much tougher/more of a dog fight and i'm not sure Lorenzo had enough pace to pull clear of that kind of fight (Considering he didn't do his usual disappearing act or couldn't pull *that* far ahead of the trailing group for most of the race). Iannone clearly wasn't afraid of shoving it up the inside of anyone. Races aren't won in the opening laps, but they can certainly be lost aye... Still the opener was definitely intriguing. All too often we've seen Lorenzo bring a gun to knife fight and slaughter the opposition at least this year he *may* be forced to carry a katana instead.

It was also a shame to see Maverick struggle with pace, i've read elsewhere (interview on crash) he couldn't get much grip on the brakes into corners, could this be due to more Dunlop rubber being laid down? The track temperate was pretty similar to the rest of the weekend.
We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Interesting that watching the race I thought Marquez was see sawing back and forth and running an inconsitent pace, but as relativity has it, looking at the time sheets it was Marquez who was most consistent pace of anyone and the others that were hemining and hawing multiple tenths per lap up and down. Surprised that Lorenzo was the more erratic one and Marquez the steady hand here. Wonder what that says about leasons learned and who's most comfortable and who's risking more. Once again these two seem to be reversed from their stereotype forms. Intersting to see and keep an eye on.

Also good to see multiple viable options of tire componds for race distance posible. Gives bikes / riders choices to make best for them and variety for the viewer in how the race develops.

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

All this talk about Zarco, Rins, Kent, etc coming up to the premier class make me think that the rookie rule or some version of it ought to be reinstated as you have too many riders coming up and most of the time they're really unprepared. I point to Miller as an example of this.

That said, if Pedrosa's seat become vacant I really hope Honda take John Rae into consideration.