MotoGP 2015, Sepang

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
CLX

MotoGP 2015, Sepang

Post by CLX »

So, I haven't even finished processing the weekend at Phillip Island, but Sepang is already at hand.

I think this is Rossi's true greatest test of the season. If he beats Lorenzo, he can allow himself to manage his race at Valencia instead of being caught in knife fights with his teammate and/or the Hondas (possibly Ianonne as well).

Rossi's record at Sepang is outstanding and only once has Lorenzo beat him there while they have been teammates (2013). At the same time the HRCs have been very strong at Sepang for several years and were very strong in pre-season testing. And there's is always a chance Ianonne has a great race. So even though there might be a lot of guys in contention for the podium, I doubt Rossi wil be stuck behind anyone this time. He knows the track better than anyone and there are plenty of good overtaking spots where he can make moves and then break away.

My only question is, will exaustion play any part in it?
People noticed after Motegi that Rossi looked exausted. Sepang comes at the end of a tripple header and is always a servely demanding track. I don't think Rossi is old or out of shape, but a year long battle takes its toll eventually. Come to think of it, both Rossi and Lorenzo have been less than perfect recently having missed the podium twice after the summer break.

Or maybe I'm overanalyzing their results.

Anyhow, I think it'll be a good weekend for Rossi and I hope weather doesn't intefere.

What about you guys?
Last edited by CLX on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

CLX

Re: MotoGP 2015, Sepang

Post by CLX »

My bet after a normal dry weekend/race:

Marquez
Rossi
Pedrosa
Lorenzo.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

I have no freakin' idea. Educated guess has meant nothing most of the season & would expect same last two races.

Sepang? Of course this is a Rossi track but so was PI to be & it was his worst finish of the season barring the crazy situation of Misano. Every race since summer break has been cast as "make or break". I think Sepang might best fit the bill. IMO Rossi has to leave Sepang with at least as many points lead as he has now. If he's to take the title he needs enough points to win it from the 3rd step in Valencia. Jorge needs to come out of Sepang chipping away enough points that the Valencia race & title are at least in his own hands. While Jorge & Vale are multi champions I think the tension will be high where Marc, Dani, & maybe a Ducati will just be out for the day's glory. Won't predict but feel maybe Marc will take it in Sepang. I think we might also see another Yamaha off the podium. Who that is & who comes in between is a roll of the dice.

Cobbett

Post by Cobbett »

Yeah I've given up now. Everything one might say about Sepang applied, but didn't, to Phillip Island. Valencia's the VR bogey track but he was on pole last year. VR said before PI that he felt he had to beat JL in one of the remaining three and it still feels that way, if not strictly mathematically, because of the Hondas and now a Ducati getting between them.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Predictions anyone? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

CLX

Post by CLX »

AJracing wrote:Predictions anyone? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Not this time.
The best I could do was talk about expectations.
:P

-----

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

If Rossi has proven anything about Sepang it's that he is the one who has handled the ridiculously tough heat every year. He seemed fine after the Philip Island race. As David said, they all get ill at some point on the flyaways.

I hope Rossi will win and I think he is perfectly capable of doing it. Not counting a situation where Rossi wins the title this weekend I think an ideal scenario is Rossi gaining enough points that he can finish 4th or 5th in Valencia. Not because he isn't able to be fast enough there (see last year) but it creates a buffer for incidents in the race.

My prediction for Sunday is people will be getting woken up before 8am. Either by cheering or by me punching something :lol:

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

For some reason I had convinced myself that I could check out the times from FP1 and FP2 when I get into work in the morning... just a day early...

Is it wrong to be wishing my life away in anticipation of the next GP???

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Tourn46 wrote:For some reason I had convinced myself that I could check out the times from FP1 and FP2 when I get into work in the morning... just a day early...

Is it wrong to be wishing my life away in anticipation of the next GP???
Perfectly ok :D

cant wait any longerrr

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've been trying to predict races, and am getting nowhere. The Hondas, Yamahas, and Crazy Joe are likely to be in a five way fight.

Personally I've come around to hoping that Rossi will win, the (possibly) last hurrah and all that. But, IMHO all bets are off as to whether Lorenzo or Rossi will come out on top in each of the coming races. If one of them falls off - it will most likely be a win for the other. I much prefer it's decided on the track, as it was on Sunday.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I was going to work and do stuff... now I can only think of MotoGP.

-----

SK250

Post by SK250 »

new here, from Mexico. BIG MotoGP fan.

What do you think about Vale's comments during press conference on Marquez helping JLO this past race?

Cheers!

Cobbett

Post by Cobbett »

SK250 wrote:new here, from Mexico. BIG MotoGP fan.

What do you think about Vale's comments during press conference on Marquez helping JLO this past race?

Cheers!
Welcome. Comments on VR's comments are underway from p. 13 on this thread...

http://motomatters.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=300

CLX

Post by CLX »

SK250 wrote:new here, from Mexico. BIG MotoGP fan.

Cheers!

I think he's pissed off at Marquez and their friendship is done for as long as they race.
But Marquez should have let Lorenzo win if he wanted to help, not to mention it wouldn't take HRC too long to look at the data and realize Marquez had gifted Yamaha a win.

-----

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

The amused smirks from Jorge & Marc while Rossi was throwing his conspiracy theory out there had me thinking they thought he was off his rocker, stirring shite, or both.
I'm calling BS on Rossi. I think maybe the pressure is getting to HIM! Maybe he's playing mind games with himself?

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

I'm still thinking Rossi will do well enough at Sepang to have one hand on the title heading to Valencia, if the weather stays dry for the race. It's never been a Lorenzo track, and he still needs to get some points back before Valencia to have a realistic chance.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Grahluk wrote:The amused smirks from Jorge & Marc while Rossi was throwing his conspiracy theory out there had me thinking they thought he was off his rocker, stirring shite, or both.
I'm calling BS on Rossi. I think maybe the pressure is getting to HIM! Maybe he's playing mind games with himself?
What do you think about Ianonne agreeing that he thought Marc was playing with them?

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Curious end to FP2 for Rossi, up until the final exit he was faster than Jorge on the hard tyres, he switched to Medium as did everyone else at the front, did an out lap and the a flying lap he backed out of early in the lap, pitted and then went out without enough time to finish his out lap.

He's a second down in that session but didn't do any flying laps on the medium... All just seemed a bit odd. Needless to say, Ryder and Emmett continued to discuss that Rossi was a second off his team mate without picking up on any of this.

Cobbett

Post by Cobbett »

Tourn46 wrote:Curious end to FP2 for Rossi, up until the final exit he was faster than Jorge on the hard tyres, he switched to Medium as did everyone else at the front, did an out lap and the a flying lap he backed out of early in the lap, pitted and then went out without enough time to finish his out lap.

He's a second down in that session but didn't do any flying laps on the medium... All just seemed a bit odd. Needless to say, Ryder and Emmett continued to discuss that Rossi was a second off his team mate without picking up on any of this.
He's 0.7 off Lor on the day, since he did his fastest time in FP1. Not a whole lot less than a second, though (like Silverstone) those long Sepang 2-min laps stretch the times out a bit.

But you're right, they needed to address the fact that JL was M/M and VR H/H for most of the session and had to abort his attempted flyers.

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

His explanation was that when he switched to M/M he was getting a lot of chatter he wasn't during the rest of the session. Switched those tires over to other bike for a last lap to check on last out/in lap. Said he was happy w/ earlier pace but didn't get to finish his work for the flying lap on softer tires. Nothing for him to over worry at this point. That Jorge & the Hondas were well sorted at the front can't be comforting.

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

Tourn46 wrote:
Grahluk wrote:The amused smirks from Jorge & Marc while Rossi was throwing his conspiracy theory out there had me thinking they thought he was off his rocker, stirring shite, or both.
What do you think about Ianonne agreeing that he thought Marc was playing with them?
They were the ones in the race with Marc & they would be the best ones to see & feel Marc's potential in minute detail from corner to corner so I wouldn't call that into question. No doubt it was an odd race that Marc ran. That doesn't mean Rossi's conclusions are on point. I think it's some pretty elaborate contortions of motivation for Marc to play it like Rossi accused when a win is not assured & there's no way Marc could predict or control Iannone coming in 3rd over Rossi. At worst for Rossi in that scenario would be him backed into the clutches of Iannone while Lorenzo wins. Best case would be Marc wins & Rossi pulls the last clever move & stands 3rd on the podium next to Jorge in 2nd. A pretty selfless effort for Marc in the former & a risky complicated bit of work for a minor outcome in the latter. Team orders don't usually involve such selfless heroics as imagined of Marc. IMO Rossi saw something real & drew an improbable cause out of it.

ducati1098s

Post by ducati1098s »

I think Rossi knows more than any arm-chair expert or commentator. There is no way JL or MM was ever going to agree with him for obvious reasons. I saw on twitter Ben Spies agrees with VR. I dont know the truth but I do know that MM's race was improbable to watch.

Whatever the truth is VR has achieved what he set out to do: make sure that if MM was up to no good, he will not do it again. MM wants to be popular/not disliked and Honda has a racing image to upkeep too.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

Grahluk wrote:No doubt it was an odd race that Marc ran. That doesn't mean Rossi's conclusions are on point.
This has definitely been my opinion the whole time, as Marc running an odd race doesn't automatically mean he was trying to sabotage Rossi's race. I did think Marc did a couple slower than expected laps while I was watching the race live, so it was something that was immediately obvious to me. However, speaking as Rossi fan I'm not convinced Marc was doing anything to intentionally help Lorenzo.

To be fair to Rossi, if he was right and it happened again in Sepang, his championship hopes might be almost gone.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Rossi waiting for Marquez waiting for whatever in FP3.
LOL

-----

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

Yes, for FP3 they were all up to something, Rossi and Marquez were kind of stalking each other, and Lorenzo is doing the "rossi leg dangle" while braking for the corner.