MotoGP 2015, Misano

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
CLX

MotoGP 2015, Misano

Post by CLX »

Lorenzo
Marquez
Rossi.

To keep the championship as tense as possible.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Tourn46

Re: MotoGP 2015, Misano

Post by Tourn46 »

Rossi
Marquez
Dani

One can hope :P

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Rossi
Iannone
Dovi

one can hope even more!
I am losing my mind waiting for this race to start.

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

Tourn46 wrote:Rossi
Marquez
Dani

One can hope :P
my crystal ball agrees

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

I don't care so long as it's battle royale between the yamahas. set the scene for the close of season.

motor

Post by motor »

Marquez
Rossi
Lorenzo
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

frankrizzo wrote:I don't care so long as it's battle royale between the yamahas. set the scene for the close of season.
Yes please. Don't care if #'s 93 & 26 are in front or behind the title contenders. O think a race that's a straight fight between the two would be nice. Problem is, when the situation favors one on the M1 it doesn't so much the other.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

Interesting tidbits.

Of the last 350-points on offer in Italy, 315 have gone to Lorenzo!

Seven of Lorenzo’s last nine races on Italian soil have ended in triumph.

In his entire MotoGP career, he has never finished ANY Italian race lower than 2nd place.

I got those from a puff piece over at MotoGP.com where they are painting Jorge as public enemy number one for the Rossi fans this weekend.

Squidpuppet

M1 Winglets

Post by Squidpuppet »

I see the M1 is featuring winglets at Misano.

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

CLX wrote:Lorenzo
Marquez
Rossi.

To keep the championship as tense as possible.

Agreed!

Dayle88

Re: M1 Winglets

Post by Dayle88 »

Squidpuppet wrote:I see the M1 is featuring winglets at Misano.
I really hope some genius doesn't get wings working on a motorcycle to the point they become F1 level dependant. Hopefully it is impossible because of what a motorcycle is.

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

Dayle88 wrote:
I really hope some genius doesn't get wings working on a motorcycle to the point they become F1 level dependant. Hopefully it is impossible because of what a motorcycle is.
I also agree with this. Is it me or do the just look daft? I don't know enough about aerodynamics but surely the ever changing angles of the motorbike would render wings mostly ineffective?

SirSinCity

Post by SirSinCity »

Emoo wrote:
Dayle88 wrote:
I also agree with this. Is it me or do the just look daft? I don't know enough about aerodynamics but surely the ever changing angles of the motorbike would render wings mostly ineffective?
As long as air is flowing over the wing at adequate velocity, it will produce down/up force regardless of the horizontal/vertical orientation.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

SirSinCity wrote:
As long as air is flowing over the wing at adequate velocity, it will produce down/up force regardless of the horizontal/vertical orientation.
But is that a good thing when leaned over? When leaned over, "down" is no longer down. Now the bike is being pushed sideways towards the outside of the corner. Instead of pressing the bike true vertical down onto the asphalt, it's pushing the bike (and tires) into a drift or slide.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Squidpuppet wrote:
SirSinCity wrote:
But is that a good thing when leaned over? When leaned over, "down" is no longer down. Now the bike is being pushed sideways towards the outside of the corner.
This. This is what I thought when I first saw the Ducati with them. I really don't understand the benefit.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

The benefit it seems may be on the straight. Also on long fast corners if the front is being pushed down. This might help with traction control in some areas - save fuel. I dunno - Just a thought, no proof.
Is the difference big? No. Is it a tenth or 2 for some riders? Maybe.
Perhaps Dylan Gray can do a post race special on the potential benefits of "winglets".

SirSinCity

Post by SirSinCity »

Squidpuppet wrote:
SirSinCity wrote:
But is that a good thing when leaned over? When leaned over, "down" is no longer down. Now the bike is being pushed sideways towards the outside of the corner. Instead of pressing the bike true vertical down onto the asphalt, it's pushing the bike (and tires) into a drift or slide.
Although the force is no longer 90 degrees it is still being pushed into the tires and the road surface which equals more traction. It would/will only be an issue if the wing surface is large enough to generate overwhelming force. When they grab the brakes a lot of traction is generated from down force but most of it is lost once the breaks are released. This helps maintain some of that force and apply it throughout the turn. It seems to me this is an effect of the edge-no-edge-treatment thing regarding tires. Remember that is has been reported on this as well as other sites that Motogp Bridgestone's are so good that even a retired pro on production superbike couldn't break them loose trail braking mid corner with full pressure. Get used to them because, like Redbull, the wings are here to stay in my opinion. Look for more teams to do the same next year especially since it has got to be easier and cheaper than developing a something like a seamless box and they actually work as has been proven by Ducati and now confirmed by JL99.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

SirSinCity wrote: now confirmed by JL99.
Link?

SirSinCity

Post by SirSinCity »

Squidpuppet wrote:
SirSinCity wrote: now confirmed by JL99.
Link?
https://motomatters.com/results/2015/09 ... zo_se.html

Didn't he just set a new track record?

VincentR

Post by VincentR »

One of the only times we've seen both front and rear hard options actually working at a circuit this season to produce great pace-albeit only from Rossi and Marc, however I'm not too sure the medium is going to work across race distance which is why these guys have already spent significant time on the hard options. One would have to say advantage Marc and Rossi at this point despite Jorge's one off lap with the winglets-I'm not too sure the front is going to last at this circuit with that added downforce-harder option possibly.

CLX

Post by CLX »

There must be some magic in the winglets.
They don't even come close to 300 km/h at Misano...

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Placebo.

Used at a circuit where speeds are lower, not used at Silverstone or places where the speeds are higher. Seems odd, don't ya think ? Didn't seem to help the new Duc vs the old one...... and you may argue that the speeds and lean angles were lower due to the weather. I'll accept lean angles, but speed ? Wet Silverstone speeds are likely to be in the ball park of dry Misano speeds....

Are Honda using them ?

Front page would seem to indicate the same. Lorenzo is liking the tyres he's using, is my (and seems to be the consensus on the front page) take.

I also think, for one circuit, one race this year, that Rossi may be foxing a bit. FP and Qual everywhere else, no....that would be the speed at which he will operate.

Misano ? I'm not buying it....... something up his sleeve me-thinks...... game on.

Edge of the seat stuff tomorrow night. Great stuff. 8-)
2:02.443

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Come to think of it - maybe Lorenzo is playing mind games by adding the winglets...messing with rossi - look i got 3 tenths in 10 minutes from my change - why dont you try it tomorrow and waste some time? kind of devious but it could work
And Rossi MIGHT be sandbagging.... we shall see when he starts from 8th position and wins the race.. -

Rossi almost ALWAYS delivers on Sunday - so we shall see what the Master has in store.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

I think it's funny (if that's what Jorge is doing) when people try to play mind games with Rossi......... you get the feeling it's doing more to cause themselves grief than the effect it has on him.

Case in point (and not to discount on speed he is more than a genuine threat), Marquez being upset and throwing out veiled threats ( "I know what I have to do next time....") after Assen....Is Rossi worried, or has that move payed the exact (maybe even more) dividends he planned ?

;) :lol:

Excuse the language here, but if Rossi is absolute master of one thing....it's fucking with the minds of the competition. ;)

Three tenths :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......... Lorenzo's usually further in front of Rossi than that pre-race.

Those winglets must be amazing ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2:02.443

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

AJracing wrote:Come to think of it - maybe Lorenzo is playing mind games by adding the winglets...messing with rossi - look i got 3 tenths in 10 minutes from my change - why dont you try it tomorrow and waste some time? kind of devious but it could work
And Rossi MIGHT be sandbagging.... we shall see when he starts from 8th position and wins the race.. -

Rossi almost ALWAYS delivers on Sunday - so we shall see what the Master has in store.
I doubt Rossi is sandbagging, it serves no real purpose... It's more likely that he is using the Free Practice sessions to find his race set up as usual. However good it looks, Jorge won't be running 1:32.1 in the race.

Looking at the race race pace, Marc and Jorge looked pretty similar in FP3, Rossi a couple of tenths off.

I didn't look at Dani... But he has looked good on race pace so far too.