KTM

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
andrebt

KTM

Post by andrebt »

anybody want to take a stab at predicting when we'll them testing their 2017 prototype on-track along-side the other manufacturers?

Anyhow I'm sure dave might know something, but i'm guessing we might see a track debut later this year at valencia.

smAshmoto

Re: KTM

Post by smAshmoto »

If they don't race in orange I'll be upset.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

danwilliams

Post by danwilliams »

The frame at the very least will have to be Orange, it just has to be.

Anyone got info on engine layout :?: will we see a triple :?:

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

Thought it was going to be a V4. Can't remember where I read that.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Grahluk wrote:Thought it was going to be a V4. Can't remember where I read that.
90 degree V4 I believe

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

Oval exhausts. Hmmm

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

I'd say that engine is 60-70 degrees.

No flywheel visible on this end of the crank.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Aaaand.... a quick Google reveals that the above image is their '05 990. :|

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

scoured and found this....its quite interesting..looks like the aim is a V4

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-new ... otogp-bike

danwilliams

Post by danwilliams »

Thankyou for the link & info. Engine ready by summer 2015, im guessing they mean the European summer :?: which is now, right :?: Trellis frame-v4, hmm.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

speeddog wrote:I'd say that engine is 60-70 degrees.

Sportrider ran this photo in the '14 article as have a few other websites. Misleading to say the least

danwilliams

Post by danwilliams »

Japhrodisiac wrote:
speeddog wrote:I'd say that engine is 60-70 degrees.

Sportrider ran this photo in the '14 article as have a few other websites. Misleading to say the least
Yes, i found that article as well. It was one of the reasons i asked the question about the engine layout/misleading.

Grahluk

KTM

Post by Grahluk »

That's probably the article I remembered. So the KTM is going to be a customer bike like the RCV Hayden, Laverty, & Miller are riding except with a trellis frame? Guess that ensures there will be something on the grid to make that RCV-lite look good.

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

Tom94

Post by Tom94 »

The bike looks to be incredibly narrow with not much thought given to getting the rider tucked in behind something. Hoffman is relatively tall compared to most of these guys, Kallio might do better. Nice to see it actually rolling around now.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

The bike sounds the part for sure, and we know KTM can build competitive horsepower in the smaller class. Spec electronics will help too, but it's going to take time. They will need a top shelf rider in 2017 too, but given their newness they will be lucky get someone on the fringes of greatness such as an A.Espargaro or Bradl etc.

The next round of contract shuffles will be very interesting going forward with a Suzuki back, a new Aprilia coming and now KTM

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Curious, they must be testing this bike with 2016 spec 17" Michelins? Does anyone know? No Bridgestone stickers seen and the tires look to have the lower sidewall of the larger circumference 17's

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Japhrodisiac wrote:The bike sounds the part for sure, and we know KTM can build competitive horsepower in the smaller class. Spec electronics will help too, but it's going to take time. They will need a top shelf rider in 2017 too, but given their newness they will be lucky get someone on the fringes of greatness such as an A.Espargaro or Bradl etc.

The next round of contract shuffles will be very interesting going forward with a Suzuki back, a new Aprilia coming and now KTM
Well, they have Zarco for 2017 don't they? Or at least that is the plan with him being an Ayo rider isn't it? He's probably got more pedigree than A Espargaro, so would think they are happy with him.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Japhrodisiac wrote:Curious, they must be testing this bike with 2016 spec 17" Michelins? Does anyone know? No Bridgestone stickers seen and the tires look to have the lower sidewall of the larger circumference 17's
Yes, they are testing with the 2016 tires, which means Michelins on 17" wheels.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

No reason to test or Develop with Bridgestones. Figure they're diving straight into the french doughnuts & start comparing where they stand when the others switch over. Is KTM going to test with the other bikes at Valencia this year & through next season?

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Tourn46 wrote:
Japhrodisiac wrote:The bike sounds the part for sure, and we know KTM can build competitive horsepower in the smaller class. Spec electronics will help too, but it's going to take time. They will need a top shelf rider in 2017 too, but given their newness they will be lucky get someone on the fringes of greatness such as an A.Espargaro or Bradl etc.

Well, they have Zarco for 2017 don't they? Or at least that is the plan with him being an Ayo rider isn't it? He's probably got more pedigree than A Espargaro, so would think they are happy with him.
Zarco is a good rider but an unknown on MotoGp machinery and he has no experience with that level of electronics, development etc, and they will want someone in addition that has that experience preferably on multiple bikes.

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

Japhrodisiac wrote:
Tourn46 wrote:

Zarco is a good rider but an unknown on MotoGp machinery and he has no experience with that level of electronics, development etc, and they will want someone in addition that has that experience preferably on multiple bikes.
Dovi or Cal to KTM in 2017? Fat check & factory seat for riders long on experience but short on recent results?

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

IIRC, no factory team with KTM, just customer bikes.

Grahluk

KTM

Post by Grahluk »

speeddog wrote:IIRC, no factory team with KTM, just customer bikes.
That sucks. Hard to develop a bike without top talent. All due respect to Kallio & Hoff but neither have much recent or extensive MotoGP experience. I think Aprilia has a fantastic pair of test riders in Bradl & Bautista. Current fairly fast guys with experience on different machines.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Grahluk wrote:
speeddog wrote:IIRC, no factory team with KTM, just customer bikes.
That sucks. Hard to develop a bike without top talent. All due respect to Kallio & Hoff but neither have much recent or extensive MotoGP experience. I think Aprilia has a fantastic pair of test riders in Bradl & Bautista. Current fairly fast guys with experience on different machines.
With no factory team and no results history, as a team owner what choice do you make, customer Honda (dumbed down current factory bike), customer Ducati (1-2yr old factory bike) or KTM total unknown. IMo they need a year with a factory squad to sort the thing out before trying to sell it, but what do I know?

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

Can't speak on who could be a more desirable test rider(though it would be nice if Spies came back as a test rider) but one can only hope that KTM decide to test alongside the other factories in the post/pre-season as to measure their level.