Mugello this weekend.

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Zaphod

Mugello this weekend.

Post by Zaphod »

Anyone betting against Rossi ? :?:

:lol: :lol: ;) 8-)

Should be a mental race. Lots for every rider to win, lose or consolidate out of this one.

Good circuit as well.
2:02.443

robbieguy85

Re: Mugello this weekend.

Post by robbieguy85 »

Ha! It'd be hard to bet against Rossi in his current form at Mugello, that's for sure! My "guess" is that Lorenzo is likely to be the main contender to put a spanner in the works for a special Italian weekend.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Marc somehow recover here, he's always went well here in MotoGP (in his rookie year he "was" going well until he crashed out), likewise last year, he'd done well too. If however, the Honda is as problematic as it looks, surely it'll get found out here? Lots of elevation changes and a mixture of long/medium/short corners with fast directional changes, it's not a track you'd want to ride on something you're not happy on?

As for Ducati, they've just had a test, their times looked respectable, but who knows what'll happen once in race trim? I'd bet Dovi/Iannone would love a Podium here. The question is, while the GP15 is sure to be a missile down the straight, will the x 10th's it gains there be enough to offset what it might loose to the Yamahas around the rest of the track? The straight comes up once, the corners at Mugello are persistent and punishing.

Either way... Bets on, it'll be hard to bet against Rossi/Lorenzo, but I couldn't guess the order?

Moto2 I'm not so sure, this is the least I've watched Moto2 in years, I generally watch the first 2-3 laps, then move towards the end. Moto3 however has been quite good at times, and that might be interesting again, though on that front, it's hard to bet against Kent at the moment!

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

I know this is going to sound very fanboyish, even by my own standards, but I don't know if I've ever wanted Rossi to win a race more than this one... He's in the form of his life at 36 years old, leading the championship, to win at Mugello again would be truly brilliant, I can't even imagine what the reaction at the track would be.

Realistically it's going to be hard for him, wins aren't a certainty at the moment for any of the top 3 with Jorge, Marc and Vale sharing 4 wins each from the last 12 races, it couldn't be closer.

Either way, this is one of the most anticipated races for quite a while and I hope it doesn't disappoint... we want all out war until the last lap (with Rossi sneaking it ;) ).

robbieguy85

Post by robbieguy85 »

Either way, this is one of the most anticipated races for quite a while and I hope it doesn't disappoint... we want all out war until the last lap (with Rossi sneaking it ;) ).
That's kind of what I'm hoping for as well. I'd agree, potentially one of the most anticipated races to win, and that's what always makes me nervous. I'm trying not to think that too much and very much doing a "look over there, nothing to see here..... yet" kind of thing!

coyote

Post by coyote »

I think Rossi is really going to be up for this one. If he qualifies well, I think he'll win. If he qualifies like he has the last 2 years, Lorenzo will win.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Tourn46 wrote:I know this is going to sound very fanboyish,

Not really....

It's like Lorenzo at Jerez, Marquez at COTA or Stoner at Phillip Island. If there's going to be one circuit where form and logic are reinforced, turned around or gone out the window altogether.....

;)

Grahluk

Mugello this weekend.

Post by Grahluk »

This is a track Lorenzo has taken ownership of in recent years. If he wasn't on form this would be the one to find his mojo. Of course he IS on form so it's going to be very hard to look past him. I agree with Coyote. If Rossi doesn't get his weekend on from Friday to get on the front row & sort out his race pace then he might be toast. I think Lorenzo is going to be off like a cannon.

I'm not as convinced yet that Honda is lost. I am convinced that it's probably been a very intense & busy 2 weeks at HRC. I would not be surprised if we see an "Empire Strikes Back" weekend. If not then yes, maybe their bike issues are more problematic.

I think Ducati could also be dangerous this weekend. They've had the benefit of a recent test here so they'll have a head start on setup. Dovi's become less satisfied to just get on the podium. Ducati want their one race win this year & I think they'll be out for scalps at Mugello. I expect a very hard fight from the boys in red.

I expect Redding will crash again trying too hard. He's this year's Bradley Smith.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Question - Is Mugello a track where they are likely to opt for harder tyres?

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Tourn46 wrote:Question - Is Mugello a track where they are likely to opt for harder tyres?
Hard tires are a bit of a red herring. Yamaha and Honda have medium and hard, but only the medium is asymmetric. Which probably means that the right hand side of the tire is the same for both tires, only the left is harder. Temperatures are only forecast to be in the low 20s, so the medium will probably be the race tire to go with.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

coyote

Post by coyote »

Kropotkin wrote:
Tourn46 wrote:Question - Is Mugello a track where they are likely to opt for harder tyres?
Hard tires are a bit of a red herring. Yamaha and Honda have medium and hard, but only the medium is asymmetric. Which probably means that the right hand side of the tire is the same for both tires, only the left is harder. Temperatures are only forecast to be in the low 20s, so the medium will probably be the race tire to go with.
Advantage Lorenzo. I'd bet he will be leading after lap 1 after which we'll see 3-4 sub-48s (based on last years pace) from him. Hopefully Rossi won't be 4th 3 seconds back at that point.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

coyote wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:
Advantage Lorenzo. I'd bet he will be leading after lap 1 after which we'll see 3-4 sub-48s (based on last years pace) from him. Hopefully Rossi won't be 4th 3 seconds back at that point.
I was thinking Ducati's... Soft qualifying rubber and then the same race rubber as the factory bikes.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Zaphod wrote:Anyone betting against Rossi ? :?:

:lol: :lol: ;) 8-)

Should be a mental race. Lots for every rider to win, lose or consolidate out of this one.

Good circuit as well.
Maybe.
What are Lorenzo's odds for the win? I guess they should be better before he dominates FP1 or 2.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Predictions :D lol.
Start:
Front row
1. Dovi
2. Marquez
3. Lorenzo
Second row
4. Iannone
5. Not sure about this spot. Smith?
6. Rossi

---
Race: Lorenzo leads for a lap or two while Rossi tries to catch him. Dovi, Marquez and Iannone are top 5 close; Iannone is close to Lorenzo for the first 6 laps then drops off. Rossi passes Iannone in lap 7. If by the point Lorenzo is caught and trades top spot a few times with the others, Rossi will be in the mix to win this one. If not, Then I predict Lorenzo will win with a 2nd for Dovi and 3rd for Marquez.
If Rossi is in the mix for the top from the beginning, THEN he wins with Lorenzo 4th, Dovi 2nd, Marquez 3rd.

I'm leaning towards a :
1. Rossi
2. Lorenzo
3. Dovi
with chances of a podium for Marquez, Iannone ONLY if they can hold it together the whole race.

Clearly I can't make up my mind.

My mind has been racing since the final lap ended in LeMans to see this race. Can't WAIT!

CLX

Post by CLX »

The second row is good enouh for Rossi, as long as he gets a good start and nails his braking to the first corner.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

I wonder if the swing arm test honda was conducting had anything to with possibly ensuring honda dominance at mugello.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

I think it was to try and get a Honda onto the podium. 8-)

If a swingarm magicaly fixes the Hondas handling woes, I'll be amazed. If Marquez skull drags it onto the podium, it will have little to do with the bike being better.

If Dovi manages to win on the Duc at Mugello, the Italians will go nuts.

If Rossi wins, and Ducati get one or more of the remaining podium spots, Italy will be drunk for a month...........at least.

I really hope this one lives up to its promise !!

CLX

Post by CLX »

My heart wants Marquez to win, but it would also enjoy the sheer madness of a Rossi win. But my mind screams 'based on current form and most recent historic at Mugello, expect Loreno to win'.

-----

danwilliams

Post by danwilliams »

My thoughts, i think Mugello will be entertaining for these reasons.

Rossi, a win on home soil whilst leading the championship sounds like a great headline. But as others have said he needs to be at least starting no lower than 6th(second row). Having said that, no way in the world would i not rate him as a top 3 finisher at Mugello.

Lorenzo, we have all seen his last 2 races. Very clever wins from our former world champ :arrow: confidence & momentum.

Marquez, needs a win. He knows it, HRC knows it & we know it. I think Marc will be hard to beat.

The Ducati's, a win at this race would probably be like Zaphod said :arrow: Italy will be drunk for a month. Im going with Iannone, i believe he is the one that may take the Duc to the top of the podium.

Cal Crutchlow, im expecting an upset(podium).

What about Dani :?:

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Dani = 4th to 6th at best.

Iannone. I would love that more than a Rossi win, but I just glanced at a headline......something about the dislocation of the shoulder also involving a fracture ?

Having said that, his ride at Jerez leads one to consider the possibilty of pain, discomfort and anything else going right out the window into irrelevance land when it comes to a home GP on a bike that is.....ummm...."co-operating"....

I would hazzard a guess that a Rossi, Dovi and Iannone podium is going to mean free booze throughout the nation of Italy for a long time.

:lol:

After this one, I'm waiting like a nutter for Assen !!

danwilliams

Post by danwilliams »

If my circumstances were different i would have seriously considered flying to Italy for this race. Its on my bucket list, and it's looking like this could be a memorable race.

Iannone's shoulder, i did not give that one thought when i wrote my previous post :arrow: it's a fracture on the tip of his funny bone(weird one) :?: 3/4 weeks might be enough to be fully fit, i guess only the man himself knows. I was surprised he was able to fight with Marc at Le Mans. At the end of the race they showed him pull up in his pit and he just sat on the bike with head down, must have been in quite a lot of pain.

freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

This race has the potential to be a good one..
My heart wants to see Rossi and Dovi battle it out to the end..
With Rossi taking the victory..
My mind says that if the rain stays away? Lorenzo will be the guy to beat..
Thinking that Jorge will want to check out once again, and Rossi, Marc, and Dovi will be in a heated battle for second..
Should be damn good, and I hope that it lives up to my expectations..

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Dani kept coming to mind; sadly though he hasn't been at his best and lady luck always seems to shy away from him. I really do hope that he can come back and take a win or two some point this season and get some good results. Would hate to see him go. Anyway. If he makes top 6, that would be a great result to come back from surgery and LeMans.

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

freighttrain wrote:My heart wants to see Rossi and Dovi battle it out to the end..
...for second place. I reckon Jorge will have the hammer down again. He's still racing from behind and Mugello is an opportunity to claw back some more. In fact I think Dovi could be a major pain in the ass for Rossi here, scuppering Vale's chase and aiding Lorenzo's escape.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Lorenzo for the win, with MM pulling some crazy moves to stay ahead but failing. Rossi 2nd/3rd due to Q position and unable to catch scalded cat Lorenzo off the start

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

If Rossi can pull a front row start, I won't be able to sleep till the race starts...
Iannone winning would be really something - A birth sort of in MotoGP for him. That would be epic.