Honda announce Pedrosa replacement.

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Andy

Honda announce Pedrosa replacement.

Post by Andy »

Repsol Honda have announced a replacement for Dani Pedrosa effective immediately in a press release today at 4:00pm.
Here is the statement made by Livio Suppo via the MotoGP Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

What are your thoughts on said rider?

kenup283

Re: Honda announce Pedrosa replacement.

Post by kenup283 »

You sure it's not gonna be Casey Stoner. It would be a good day to sart a rumor.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Got me, hook line and sinker! :D

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

On a more serious note, what about putting Hayden on the bike? It seems that things might be up in the air over at Aspar too, Nicky would be a great fill in for part of the season imo.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Japhrodisiac wrote:On a more serious note, what about putting Hayden on the bike? It seems that things might be up in the air over at Aspar too, Nicky would be a great fill in for part of the season imo.
Can't see it happening... It's not like they valued him even when he was World Champion. Also, with his wrist and things, plus years of rubbish equipment, you have to question if he still has the ability to put the Repsol bike up at the front.

In regards to personality, good for the US, etc I would like to see him on it until Dani is (hopefully) back.

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

Agreed, if Pedrosa is replaced I can not see it being on of the current Motogp riders or superbike riders. They all have their schedules and sponsors to look after. I think Krop put in another post that it is likely to be Aoyama or another test rider.

Damn shame for Dani

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

That sounds most likely, although Aoyama lost his speed after that crash at Silverstone so I can't imagine him bothering the scorers.

I did think VD Mark, but Ten Kate have waited for so long to have a quality Dutch rider, I can't see them happily handing him over. Although, I think he probably has the potential to make a go of it if they did.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:That sounds most likely, although Aoyama lost his speed after that crash at Silverstone so I can't imagine him bothering the scorers.
It may be my dodgy memory, but wasn't Aoyama actually showing some decent speed at the end of last season on the shoddy production Honda?

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Aoyama has been confirmed to replace Dani for the next 2 races while he recovers from an operation.

It was decided that he HAD to have another one despite being advised not to in the winter... apparently some special technique will be used this time around.

Sorry for the vague post... :)

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

My brief spell of indulgent wallowment in wishful thinking is viciously cut short once more. Best of luck to Aoyama!

Is there a restriction on how much a test rider can operate? Could Aoyama have been swatting up by way of contingency?

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Very interesting article on the front page about the reasons why it's Aoyama taking the ride, and not the likes of Cal.
Tourn46 wrote:
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:That sounds most likely, although Aoyama lost his speed after that crash at Silverstone so I can't imagine him bothering the scorers.
It may be my dodgy memory, but wasn't Aoyama actually showing some decent speed at the end of last season on the shoddy production Honda?
Very true actually, think he had the beating of the other production bikes on several occasions.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Stoner has tweeted to say sorry, he is not going to be racing at COTA and that it would have been an honour to ride in place of Dani... #NotMeantToBe

Does this suggest he wanted to?
Last edited by Tourn46 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

Saw that, peculiar tweet, what gives?

He's teasing us.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

frankrizzo wrote:Saw that, peculiar tweet, what gives?

He's teasing us.
My assumption is that it should be read along the lines of 'While it would be an honour to cover Dani in COTA, I'm not going to be racing"... the thing that causes the confusion is the hashtag '#NotMeantToBe'.

I'm sure that if he see's the confused responses, he will put the record straight.

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

Stoner..
Sorry to everyone but I am not racing @circuitamericas next weekend, it would have been an honour to ride for @26_DaniPedrosa #NotMeantToBe
Considering his categorical denials that he would even consider coming back for a second, this is confusing. Apologizing to fans for not going racing and implying a desire that it had played out differently. Strange tweet indeed. Maybe he's had a couple of beers, maybe I need a coupe of beers.

But man if you wanna talk about "The Show" - wouldn't that be something to get the ratings up, if it weren't for the paywall.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Yes, the Stoner tweet is odd, as is the story on GPOne.com, quoting Suppo. Suppo makes some vague statements, but GPOne are assuming that this means Stoner wanted to race, while it is not that clear.
http://www.gpone.com/en/2015040316431/C ... toner.html
I honestly believe Stoner is done with MotoGP. But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Kropotkin wrote:Yes, the Stoner tweet is odd, as is the story on GPOne.com, quoting Suppo. Suppo makes some vague statements, but GPOne are assuming that this means Stoner wanted to race, while it is not that clear.
I honestly believe Stoner is done with MotoGP. But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Certainly adds a bit more to the intrigue... my assumption was that it was just a poorly phrased tweet (which is very easily done when you only have 140 characters to use!).

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

I've always taken Stoner's stance that he doesn't want to be contracted to race the series because of all the excess BS that he sees around that, but he still loves to ride and to race. I think if given the chance for a one off or wildcard he would do it

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Kropotkin wrote:Yes, the Stoner tweet is odd, as is the story on GPOne.com, quoting Suppo. Suppo makes some vague statements, but GPOne are assuming that this means Stoner wanted to race, while it is not that clear.
The problem is, this would go against absolutely everything we have heard from Stoner, from the people around him, from the journalists that know him, since the day he retired.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

Tourn46 wrote:Stoner has tweeted to say sorry, he is not going to be racing at COTA and that it would have been an honour to ride in place of Dani... #NotMeantToBe

Does this suggest he wanted to?
Hmmm. For a guy who HATES the spotlight, he seems to voluntarily participate in the social media show at all the right times.

I guess it's like when he said he wanted to go back to the hard work of farming when he retired, and then bought a modern glass house and yacht in Yuppy Marina.

:lol:

I liked watching him race, and wish he'd come back, but he constantly contradicts himself.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Japhrodisiac wrote:I've always taken Stoner's stance that he doesn't want to be contracted to race the series because of all the excess BS that he sees around that, but he still loves to ride and to race. I think if given the chance for a one off or wildcard he would do it
I see it the same way. I just don't think Honda wanted to stir that pot.

I'm actually surprised they're even going across the pond at all, incld a country where their title sponsor is not all that welcome.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
The problem is, this would go against absolutely everything we have heard from Stoner, from the people around him, from the journalists that know him, since the day he retired.
Read my post above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

The only thing that he is better at than rear wheel steering is putting his foot in his mouth. I like the guy, but......
"NO! I will not got to Japan. No matter what. No matter what the experts and the government say. No way. Nothing can change my mind. I've made my decision and it's final!!!!!!!!! I will NOT change my mind!!!
I will be racing at Motegi
:lol:

The list is LONG!!!!!

He'll be back some day. I've always believed that and still do.

He got teary eyed when he announced retirement. Why? He didn't really want to, that's why.
After a long talk with family, friends, my wife,we they decided that I have achieved enough and it's time to quit.( So I am temporarily complying with their requests in order to appease them)
Racing is a disease like alcoholism or drug addiction. It's also a love affair with a mistress. It makes no sense. There is no logical reason to do it. It's actually quite stupid to participate. Oh, but that high.....oh my! It's in his blood. Once an addict - always an addict. VR46 I'm looking at you. I applaud all who remain clean and sober from drugs and booze. Big time. But I sense a weakness in Stoner. I believe he will lose the battle, succumb to the cravings and return to the pipe. Evidence you want? What was the first thing(s) he did after retirement, and still does? He participates in multiple other forms of getting high in an effort to ease the withdrawal symptoms of his drug of choice. A 260 HP/157kg drug is hard to replace.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

I think maybe we are looking too far into it... It is an exceptional circumstance, little commitment other than 2 weeks... Maybe he just thought why not?

Honda maybe wanted something a bit more continuous and able to commit more time IF needed... Aoyama.

smAshmoto

Post by smAshmoto »

To throw some fuel on this hypothetical fire we have going here...

I seem to recall Suppo being unhappy with Stoner's testing times at Motegi during the off season. Does Suppo maybe think CS cant bring the thunder anymore?

Something along the lines of "Casey's times we're not comparitive enough for what we were after in a testing capacity"

I could be wrong, I've had a few naughty waters, but for some reason this springs up in my mind.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

So how did a Pedrosa thread become all about Stoner? I thought only Rossi threads did that.