Honda announce Pedrosa replacement.

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Tourn46

Re: Honda announce Pedrosa replacement.

Post by Tourn46 »

Grahluk wrote:So how did a Pedrosa thread become all about Stoner? I thought only Rossi threads did that.
This is relevant for once!

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Anyway, back to Dani... Good news to hear his surgery appears to have been a success =)

AntG

Post by AntG »

Tourn46 wrote:
Grahluk wrote:So how did a Pedrosa thread become all about Stoner? I thought only Rossi threads did that.
This is relevant for once!
Indeed it is, in my opinion Casey has been away far too long now, I'm guessing you need a bit more than a few tests to stay sharp at that level especially now the bar has raised since he last raced.

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Tourn46 wrote:I think maybe we are looking too far into it...
agree.
my guess is Aoyama has a testing contract that states he is also the replacement rider should any of the HRC-contracted riders not be able to race.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

According to David's twitter feed, Livio has confirmed that they did speak with Casey and the decision was made that they'd not enough time to prepare properly. The plot thickens.

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

The way I read CS27's tweet (& the one before it to DP26 about arm pump) was more a gesture of loyalty to help out Dani & HRC in a tough spot rather than a burning desire to be back on the GP grid.
Sure, I'd love to see him race again but only if he were motivated, fit, & ready for it. No point in him lining up to be eaten by Marquez, Lorenzo, Rossi, & a couple Ducati's. He's one of the most talented ever but talent alone won't win races against those who beat him as often as he beat them but who have been in the fight for the last 2 years. The game's moved on. Not beyond him or his capabilities to adapt but it's not 2012 any more.

jihem

Post by jihem »

What I don't quite get about Stoner stance towards the GP world, and especially the PR circus he hates so much, is that with the profile he has he could easily sign an HRC deal saying he just rides, wins (if possible) but doesn't have to go on weekdays to sign Repsol caps in shops or do meet and greets with the press. He's very valuable marketing wise whether he does the smile in front of the camera or not. He's a "Mike Tyson Returns Shock !" all by himself: publicity is guaranteed, whether he talks or not.

The tweet is also very bizarre, like someone on the side of the pool testing the water really. I guess if he enjoys himself, and wins, the Suzuka 8 Hours, he'll be popping The Question to Luvio. The HRC doesn't have another great champ' just ready yet to get into Pedrosa seat next year (if he comes back strong but I don't see that happening).

No surprise the Pedrosa thread has cornered into a Stoner thread, Dani is appreciated, liked, but his charisma is nill to nothing and everybody loves a warrior/champ/bad guy, Stoner is like Rossi, loved of hated he's larger than life and appeals to all. People can't stop talking about it.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

smAshmoto wrote:To throw some fuel on this hypothetical fire we have going here...

I seem to recall Suppo being unhappy with Stoner's testing times at Motegi during the off season. Does Suppo maybe think CS cant bring the thunder anymore?

Something along the lines of "Casey's times we're not comparitive enough for what we were after in a testing capacity"

I could be wrong, I've had a few naughty waters, but for some reason this springs up in my mind.
I think it was the "Times" they were not happy with, not so much Casey's times. Meaning the bike wasn't where they had hoped it would be.

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

Given the now long standing relationship with HRC and the mutual respect shared between Casey and Honda's top brass, I can't believe that neither party hadn't seriously considered him stepping in for Dani. Think of the proverbial elephant in the room, only this one is painted in Aussie colors with a 27 on it's forehead. What fascinates me, and hopefully David can shed some light on it when he's on the ground and back online, is what the dynamic of that discussion may have been. Was the decision to defer due to short notice taken by Casey, or imposed by HRC? Or was it a consensus based on practicalities and does that in itself leave the door open for a possible later appearance, at Jerez maybe, if Dani has not recovered sufficiently. The very fact that we all now know a return for #27 is no longer an impossibility is big enough news for me. What a start to the season indeed.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Aoyama it is. I don't think there's much point in making predictions about how this will go. We'll see soon enough.

danwilliams

Post by danwilliams »

CS27 is returning to racing motorcycles- Suzuka. This was announced close to the start of the Motogp season with Qatar and The Pedrosa arm pump & post implications not yet fully known.
I would think Stoner "was" focused on Suzuka, shortly after the cat was thrown amongst the pidgeons. If he does well in the 8 hr, then Frankrizzo you may be right if Dani does not return. Later in the season, who knows. After July !

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Latest tweet from CS !!
Bummer I'm not racing, no prep was needed as I wasn't planning on winning, just replacing a good friend and having some fun in Texas!:)

— Casey Stoner (@Official_CS27) April 9, 2015
So as Krop has said in the article, now when rather than if? What are the odds of Dani being fit to race after Argentina?

I want Dani to return from injury soon, but I don't think there is anyone here that doesn't relish the thought of 27 vs. 93.. maybe Honda will pull a 3rd Repsol out of storage? :)

motomania

Post by motomania »

Honda should be embarrassed to have a factory bike back so far in the finishing order. 11th from 18 finishers. Hayden and Miller weren't that far back from Aoyama and they are on bikes that are far from being anywhere near the front or competitve. Pretty sad when even the Suzuki can beat him with a rookie rider on a bike that's brand new back in MotoGP.
"I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the required equipment." - Me

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

motomania wrote:Honda should be embarrassed to have a factory bike back so far in the finishing order. 11th from 18 finishers. Hayden and Miller weren't that far back from Aoyama and they are on bikes that are far from being anywhere near the front or competitve. Pretty sad when even the Suzuki can beat him with a rookie rider on a bike that's brand new back in MotoGP.
You never know what Aoyama might have under those fairings though, he may be a test mule for a few races now they don't have Bautista to do the dirty work?

Grahluk

Honda announce Pedrosa replacement.

Post by Grahluk »

The way I see it which may or may not be something like how HRC sees it is that they are essentially running a 1 rider team for the championship & getting free race weekend testing on the other side of the garage till they know what's up with Dani. Wouldn't be surprised if Aoyoma's setup reflects some HRC development agenda instead of setting it up purely for Hiroshi's race results. Then again sometimes there may be nothing more to it than filling a seat & have a bike circulating. When Kallio filled in for Stoner on the Ducati nobody was expecting him to fill Casey 's shoes while he was out ill.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

Regardless of the final results, I think Honda made the right decision to have Aoyoma replace Pedrosa for these two rounds. He's their official test rider and a former racer who has experience at both tracks, so a couple race weekends can only benefit Honda. It's also a nice bonus for Aoyoma and having a Japanese rider on the grid isn't a bad thing for MotoGP.

Now if Pedrosa can't come back after the surgery, that's a completely different situation.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Tourn46 wrote:
motomania wrote:Honda should be embarrassed to have a factory bike back so far in the finishing order. 11th from 18 finishers. Hayden and Miller weren't that far back from Aoyama and they are on bikes that are far from being anywhere near the front or competitve. Pretty sad when even the Suzuki can beat him with a rookie rider on a bike that's brand new back in MotoGP.
You never know what Aoyama might have under those fairings though, he may be a test mule for a few races now they don't have Bautista to do the dirty work?
Yeah I think they probably just told him to bring the bike home in a solid position, not set the world (or the bike) on fire. 11th place was a big step up from his qualifying position, I wouldn't be surprised if he were top 10 this weekend.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

The only embasment for Honda is having their bike running the open software loosing out to Ducatis version which was based on a bike that can't turn. Not a good sign for the future.

Other than that Aoyama faced a difficult weekend and succeeded in not putting a dent in Pedrosas engine allocation.

I actually think Honda took the high ground here on Dani's behalf. Had they put CS and if he did well, then the media storm and fans woukd not want to see him get back off it. Kinda crummy get well soon message.

Essentially it needs to be a wild card for CS to come back. Otherwise expect a regular test rider with instructions not to crash.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

kenup283 wrote:The only embasment for Honda is having their bike running the open software loosing out to Ducatis version which was based on a bike that can't turn. Not a good sign for the future.

Other than that Aoyama faced a difficult weekend and succeeded in not putting a dent in Pedrosas engine allocation.

I actually think Honda took the high ground here on Dani's behalf. Had they put CS and if he did well, then the media storm and fans woukd not want to see him get back off it. Kinda crummy get well soon message.

Essentially it needs to be a wild card for CS to come back. Otherwise expect a regular test rider with instructions not to crash.
I actually think Honda were just being honest... They didn't want to tarnish anything with hastily put in place effort that would benefit nobody.

The simplest option was to put Aoyama in, no pressure, get the bike home safely, keeps all contracts ticking over (in regards to replacements, sponsorship, etc), he is the official test rider.

The more I have thought about it, the more I think Honda actually did the most straightforward thing for everyone concerned, I'm not convinced there was any protection of Marquez or Dani (or any of the other wacky theories I have read on the Internet).

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

However, do you think it is posdile to assure that any rider will be fighting for the podium on a given weekend. It is certainly not possible to do so based on testing times. That's why they line up.

So while sincere as it sounds the number of times I saw podium mentioned in that response sounded more like Honda have more unrealistic expectations than the fans.... and if you'd belive it then we'd never see him race again.

I'd have preferred they just left it at we didn't have enough time.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

kenup283 wrote:However, do you think it is posdile to assure that any rider will be fighting for the podium on a given weekend. It is certainly not possible to do so based on testing times. That's why they line up.

So while sincere as it sounds the number of times I saw podium mentioned in that response sounded more like Honda have more unrealistic expectations than the fans.... and if you'd belive it then we'd never see him race again.

I'd have preferred they just left it at we didn't have enough time.
I think that probably they were just hounded by journalists to give an explanation.

Obviously none of us have the answer, but I think maybe the rumours, theories, etc have maybe simply clouded something that is as simple as it was really short notice and didn't feel they could offer Casey the opportunity they felt he deserves.

It is just my take on it... I'm probably wrong though, lol!

AntG

Post by AntG »

It would have been interesting to see how Casey approached a race weekend with an entirely different crew behind him.

motomania

Post by motomania »

One thing that I think is being forgotten in this discussion is the manufacturers championship. With Ducati now also battling for podiums and wins, it's not a given that Honda will have 2 bikes on the podium or even in the top 5-6. While having the world championship is important, having that manufacturers title also means a lot to them. Food for thought.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

motomania wrote:One thing that I think is being forgotten in this discussion is the manufacturers championship. With Ducati now also battling for podiums and wins, it's not a given that Honda will have 2 bikes on the podium or even in the top 5-6. While having the world championship is important, having that manufacturers title also means a lot to them. Food for thought.

Just a point of clarification here that only the top rider of each manufacture scores points in the mfgr championship.

So it matters not for the points they score if they have two well placed bikes but only where the top one finishes.

The only way the second bike helps is by scoring ahead of another mfgrs best rider and taking points away from them.

So far this year it's been the same top riders from each mfgr so currently the mfgr championship is a direct reflection of the riders championship. Honda would need someone who can beat yahmahas and Ducatis best riders.

motomania

Post by motomania »

kenup283 wrote:So far this year it's been the same top riders from each mfgr so currently the mfgr championship is a direct reflection of the riders championship. Honda would need someone who can beat yahmahas and Ducatis best riders.
And thus another reason where I think Casey would have been a much better choice than Aoyama. There's not much chance of him taking points away from many back in the top 15 or so. While I'm not wishing Dani bad luck, I have a feeling that injuries and physical ailments have taken their toll and he'll be done this year. Whether that happens in the near future or the end of the year, remains to be seen.

Wait, why is my crystal ball getting suddenly foggy . . . . . .? :o