Qatar GP 2015 *Spoilers*

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
kenup283

Re: Qatar GP 2015 *Spoilers*

Post by kenup283 »

Japhrodisiac wrote:
kenup283 wrote:
Japhrodisiac wrote: That Ducati didn't have to draft to pass the Yamaha, it just pulled and pulled, the 2 extra lites doing its work. How soon will Ducati lose it's advantages?
To answer your question that now makes three dry podiums, so next round Ducati must run only 22 Liters
I thought the count started each season anew but they are cumulative?
Yes.

"should any rider or combination of riders entered by the same Manufacturer, participating under these conditions, achieve a race win or accumulate 2 second places or 3 podium places in dry conditions during the 2014 and/or 2015 seasons, then for all riders of that Manufacturer the fuel tank capacity will be reduced to 22 litres maximum."

That said indications have been they don't need anymore than that. Depending on what size tank was made for the bike they may not change anything.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Absolutely cracking first meeting, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Moto3 as mental as ever, Moto2 was probably the weakest of the three although still eventful, and the MotoGp was an absolute cracker. Great to see we now have a new challenger enter the ring, regardless of the reasons for it! And a coming of age of Iannone, who looks like he might finally fulfil the potential he has shown earlier in his career.

Incredible how the form can completely turn around from what you have seen with practice and QP, especially with regards to Yamaha and Honda. When was the last time you didn't have a Repsol on the Podium, in a dry race and when they didn't crash?

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

As I said, the sooner Ducati gets rid of all the advantages, the better. 22 litres is still 2l more than Honda and Yamaha, but as David wrote they were only using 22 anyway, to rely on 24 at this point with a potential 20% slash in fuel allowance would have been mental, Ducati is probably running between 20-22 now with the ability to cut to 20 at any time.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

This sounds bad, sorry to hear this...

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Also, Lorenzo's helmet started coming apart on the inside, he couldn't see properly last 7 laps or so

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Hope this link works... It is a picture of Jorge's helmet, which did indeed break during the race obstructing his vision... Not the first time that brand has encountered troubles in MotoGP.

Jorge Helmet

Edit: Or look at the above post, lol.

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

A great season opener.

Moto3 has incredible bikes and incredible races. Not much to say.

I've never liked the Moto2 bikes but it's redeeming quality was the racing. In that respect it has got weaker as time has gone by with talent moving on and a general lack of excitement. Rins looks like he will shake it up sooner rather than later much like Vinales last year. I said on Saturday that how Lowes handles the pressure will define his season. He crashed before his final qualifying run and early in the race, the two high points of pressure. Hopefully I'm wrong and it gives him the final push to try and contend regularly like he should of this weekend.

Great MotoGP race. I was sceptical of Ducati's race pace. I was wrong, that thing is a weapon. Dovi's hard work is paying off and Iannone knows its time to show who he really is.

After Rossi pushed Marquez for the whole of the race in Valencia last year I thought he had a shot this year for the title. He hadn't really done anything significant there since 2003 so it made me think something more was coming. Looking at practice and qualifying I thought the order had been shaken up too much for last year to matter and then he does that. He is an unbelievable human being and has to be a contender for one of the greatest racers/sportsmen/icons of all time. 123 is looking a little less ridiculous again.

ehtikhet

Post by ehtikhet »

I am going to use this moment to coin a phrase:

Moto3eizure

Noun: A fit or uncontrollable series of shakes, shudders and spasmodic muscular contractions. in particular, coarse and ungodly linguistic outbursts triggered by a horde of teenagers armed with tiny race bikes and displaying little to no regard for life or limb whilst in rapturous pursuit of glory.

What a cracking day!
So many narratives sharpened and so many questions posed concerning the future of the season. The plot thickens...

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

Japhrodisiac wrote:This sounds bad, sorry to hear this...
I read that, as if there wasn't enough huge news from last night. Seriously bad news for Dani, certainly sounds ominous. What does he do? It sounds like a precursor to early retirement, or at least a sabbatical to try and get it sorted, poor guy.

Premature and cruel in equal measure as it is, this cartoon is floating around twitter already :shock: I didn't come up with it but I thought I'd share it anyway seeing as the question will now be asked sooner or later...

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Didn't stoner suffer the same at Qatar in 2012, mentioned problems in past and not having any real solutions, we dismissed it (largely) and he soon after announced retirement...

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

kenup283 wrote:Didn't stoner suffer the same at Qatar in 2012, mentioned problems in past and not having any real solutions, we dismissed it (largely) and he soon after announced retirement...
The Honda is an animal... perhaps it really enhances the problems too?

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Dani being so small, it must be a very physical thing to ride that beast, using a lot of arm strength all the time. Hope this isn't a career ender for him, he's such a good rider and when things are just right...

deckard

Post by deckard »

Marquez took out Bautista's front brake and sensors; the second time in a year that he has dismantled another rider's bike with his overly aggressive passing. He deserves a penalty.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Honestly, I do not see Cal as a guy who can jump on the Repsol bike and challenge the Yamahas and Ducatis every single race. Actually, there doesn't seem to be anyone who can immediately fill Pedrosa's shoes. I love Stoner, but not even I want him back anymore. He already said it before, MotoGP is no place to be unless you're 100% committed or more.

Moto3 was great. But the Quartararo hype is slightly annoying.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Not having a live feed, I've only just seen the race. Completely gob-smacked about how poorly the Hondas did. It never really looked

As everyone has said, the Ducatis have done extremely well, and look to be on equal footing with the other factory teams. I was watching the laps ticking down and waiting for the Ducatis to start heading backwards. Didn't happen of course.

Man of the race: Rossi. Calm, intelligent, race. One race does not a season make, but surely Rossi is a candidate for the championship this year.

Considering who will replace Pedrosa:

I can't see Stoner coming back into MotoGP right now. He's be relatively out of practice, and would have difficulty matching Marquez IMHO. It wouldn't be good for his reputation and I doubt he'd appreciate that. On the other hand, if Stoner thought he could match Marquez, that would really amaze everyone and boost his reputation considerably. Who else? Stefan Bradl is off racing in Yamaha-land. Jack Miller - possible, but he hasn't really shown that he can really handle a MotoGP machine.

Crutchlow is an option. Is he the only real option?

Is there no way they can bring Rabat in? After winning Moto2 last year, he deserves a chance at MotoGP. Maybe Rabat could take over Crutchlow's ride.

Why are there so few Hondas in the field?

EDIT: Moto3 and Moto2 comments in here too? I only saw a few seconds of each race on the highlights. First five or so positions were all Hondas? Then a Husquavana badged KTM? It looks clear who is winning the technical battle so far. Kent may be in a good place, but it'll take more races before a clear favourite emerges.

Moto2: The field seems to have a good range of experienced riders. That doesn't seem to stop too many of them knocking each other off, however.

I had hopes that Nakagami might be back. 14th, after 7 riders DNF'd. Disappointing.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

As David has mentioned, if Dani is to miss races it is probable that Hiroshi Aoyama will take his place. He's contracted to Honda as a test rider and being a fill in won't mess up his testing duties, rules wise. He has experience with current machinery and tires and with MM there Honda needs someone to fill the grid and not look terrible more than winning.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Japhrodisiac wrote:As David has mentioned, if Dani is to miss races it is probable that Hiroshi Aoyama will take his place. He's contracted to Honda as a test rider and being a fill in won't mess up his testing duties, rules wise. He has experience with current machinery and tires and with MM there Honda needs someone to fill the grid and not look terrible more than winning.
I'd agree that Honda doesn't need a winner on the bike. But Aoyama may not be the best choice if Honda needs someone to take points away from Marquez's opponents. We've had two years where Marquez has steamrollered the opposition and needed absolutely no help at all. On the basis of this single race, Marquez might need more help this year.

I'm not saying that I think Aoyama won't get the ride. I'm just saying that Aoyama might not be fast enough at this stage of his career give Marquez the support that he may actually need. It's not 2009 any more.

EDIT: Both MotoGP and Formula 1 won by rider/driver from teams who probably wouldn't have been many people's choices for the win a week ago.

EDIT: BTW: I'm pleased to see the career Ducati riders Dovizioso and Iannone getting rewards for sticking at it.

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

I do feel sorry for DP, I hope he finds a fix but it doesn't sound good to me. Miller really is a non starter to get on the factory bike, he doesn't know enough yet to make use of it. I can't see Rabat or anyone else jumping class or series either, Disneyland stuff, it has to be someone familiar with he current tyres. Moving beyond the impossible to the possible, yes Cal is a possibility and yes he is far more likely to be helpful to MM than Hiro, I don't think Hiro still has the speed to worry the other factory bikes, and it would look silly if Cal and more importantly Smith on a satellite Yam or even the odd GP14 were beating him regularly. I just can't see HRC finding that such a mouthwatering prospect. As far as Casey is concerned, helping out for a few races seems to me to be a lot different to coming back full time. He's dialed in to the current bike and fully fit. You can be sure of one thing, that he's been asked. If he does indeed say no, Honda's choices are pretty limited.

Powervalve

Post by Powervalve »

Only saw the race highlights tonight but I think I'll have to go live for the rest of the season, that was a proper motoGP race! Can't remember the last time I shouted so much, brilliant racing.
Maybe MM might have to work for his third one....

Gutted for Dani tho.
When the flag drops the bullshit stops - mostly

andrebt

Post by andrebt »

Fingernails wrote:
Japhrodisiac wrote:As David has mentioned, if Dani is to miss races it is probable that Hiroshi Aoyama will take his place. He's contracted to Honda as a test rider and being a fill in won't mess up his testing duties, rules wise. He has experience with current machinery and tires and with MM there Honda needs someone to fill the grid and not look terrible more than winning.
I'd agree that Honda doesn't need a winner on the bike. But Aoyama may not be the best choice if Honda needs someone to take points away from Marquez's opponents. We've had two years where Marquez has steamrollered the opposition and needed absolutely no help at all. On the basis of this single race, Marquez might need more help this year.

I'm not saying that I think Aoyama won't get the ride. I'm just saying that Aoyama might not be fast enough at this stage of his career give Marquez the support that he may actually need. It's not 2009 any more.

Nakagami?....I'm quite sure Idemitsu/taddy wouldn't have a problem with it..
Fingernails wrote:EDIT: Both MotoGP and Formula 1 won by rider/driver from teams who probably wouldn't have been many people's choices for the win a week ago.

EDIT: BTW: I'm pleased to see the career Ducati riders Dovizioso and Iannone getting rewards for sticking at it.
you should Montoya to the list....after the st. pete gp I was somewhat shocked at his win given the fact he wasn't even that favored to win it.

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

Wouldn't any potential replacement from within the current grid depend on sponsorship? I wouldn't be happy if I paid for my logo to be on a certain rider to then have them jump onto a Repsol labelled bike.

ehtikhet

Post by ehtikhet »

I seem to remember from Rossi's Broken leg sabbatical that a ride doesn't need to be filled for three race meetings until the team have to send someone out on the bike.

Dani's bike will be going nowhere for a while yet and If he opts for surgery and a recuperation period they'll send Aoyama out if they absolutely have to...

Oooooorrrrrrrrrrr

Van Der Mark?
He's impressed HRC with his WSS win and also a great showing at Phillip island WSBK, he's won them the 8-hr, he's very young and very fast, he won't be fighting for a championship this year so why not? Best to get out of WSBK while the getting's good if he's so inclined, regardless of the fact that taking on Dani's ride in the highest profile team in the sport's history is potentially the most toxic of poisoned chalices. I think you'd want to be damn close to Crutchlow on your guest rides if you wanted to use it on your CV in the HRC job application.

Dani could well retire mid season which would be totally rubbish. I like him alot and he's a really important part of the show. His ability lends considerable gravitas to the championship regardless of what the history books will show and will be considerably poorer for his absence. He's shit hot fast and beating him requires incredible ability and preparation. On his day, he is unbeatable.
I seem to remember him losing all sensation in his arm after a trapped nerve complication from one of his many collarbone injuries, It could well be that the damage is too complicated and many fold for him to ever get back the strength and sensation required, like poor old Spies.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

deckard wrote:Marquez took out Bautista's front brake and sensors; the second time in a year that he has dismantled another rider's bike with his overly aggressive passing. He deserves a penalty.

Last time the manufacturer of the motorcycle was punished for making a safety critical system exposed to damage.

25 points in Mfgrs championship were taken away as a forfeiture of the race win point haul against the Mfgr.

Marquez scissor hands was absolved with a meanininess single point slap on the wrist against his license but got to keep his 25 points in the riders championship.

The question here is what penalty will be given to Aprilla for making safety critical components in Marquez reach.

lennyzrx

Post by lennyzrx »

nice clean hard racing up front ;)

JL needs a proper lid. those things are junk ;) Should'a took a hint from Spies. LOL
Sad about Dani. He has had a great run. I'm sure these boy's never post a weak point till they can't hide it anymore. Still if need be he can retire better than 99% of us.

It's looking to be a good season ahead in the top class.

Actually pretty good in World Superbike also. good stuff.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Why are MM's starts so poor?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.