MotoGP on UK TV

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
lilyvani

MotoGP on UK TV

Post by lilyvani »

Is it just me being a grumpy old man but I can't help feeling we're being stiffed for 2015. BT, in their infinite wisdom, have stopped broadcasting BT Sport over-the-air which means you either have to chromecast it from a device, or shell out for fibre broadband. The only reason I took out my broadband+phone+tv package with BT was to still be able to watch MotoGP despite the fact that I get all the channels I need via freesat (and it's almost criminal that BT want extra for HD) and my broadband+phone would be £15 - £20 a month cheaper through many other providers.

To watch MotoGP on my TV in HD in 2015, via BT, mean I'd have to pay another £240 or so a year extra for fibre-optic (+HD premium charge), which seems extortionate when I don't particularly even need superfast broadband. Chromecasting is, in my opinion, a second rate solution. Why would you shift FROM OTT broadcasting to chromecast from an app? I can understand going in the other direction, but not this.

And then Dorna are completing the circle with a 200 euro videopass! I appreciate that we're in an age of paying-for-watching but this seems steep to me, and I'm still not sure whether to stump up. That should worry Dorna, that a die-hard with a 'never-missed-a-race-in-20-odd-years' record should be thinking that this is the year to let go and settle for the F1 yawn-fest.

What do others think? Does anyone know of any satellite channels broadcasting cheaper or free, preferably with an English commentary? Or has Dorna's attempt to kill the viewing figures become truly international?

Dayle88

Re: MotoGP on UK TV

Post by Dayle88 »

I still have BT Sport on SKY?

Ditch the other stuff and go for that? That would work out much cheaper.

L34

Post by L34 »

It would be cheaper to buy a subscription directly from the Motogp website, 99.95 Euros per year.

lilyvani

Post by lilyvani »

The 2015 price is 199 euros, though I think I get it for something like 170 as an existing subscriber (I decided to test it out over the winter season). That's expensive enough to make me pause for thought.

L34

Post by L34 »

lilyvani wrote:The 2015 price is 199 euros, though I think I get it for something like 170 as an existing subscriber (I decided to test it out over the winter season). That's expensive enough to make me pause for thought.
199. euros?

https://secure.motogp.com/en/Subscribe? ... 15_Sepang1

AntG

Post by AntG »

lilyvani wrote:The 2015 price is 199 euros, though I think I get it for something like 170 as an existing subscriber (I decided to test it out over the winter season). That's expensive enough to make me pause for thought.
Isn't that for the multi-screen option?

I go for the standard which was 99 euros last year.

Edit - just gone to renew and i can't find a standard subscription. They best be offering it because I ain't paying 200 euros for it, I'm not made of money.

lilyvani

Post by lilyvani »

Same here, can't see any standard subscription, so it's 199 even though I'm not particularly interested in multi-screen. I feel a full-on, Victor Meldrew moment coming on. I think Dorna are seeing just how far they can push it, by just under-cutting BT. Maybe the maths stack up, that the lost audience is compensated for by those that remain, but pay more. Can't help feeling that this is a doomed direction of travel though. What happens next year? 300 euros? 400 euros the year after? A UK audience counted in thousands rather than 10's or 100's of thousands? Back to this year though, in case anyone from Dorna is taking an interest, I'm still sitting on the fence. And if any BT Sport managers are reading, no chance.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

AntG wrote:
Isn't that for the multi-screen option?

I go for the standard which was 99 euros last year.

Edit - just gone to renew and i can't find a standard subscription. They best be offering it because I ain't paying 200 euros for it, I'm not made of money.
I couldn't see the standard subscription either... But I have BT Broadband so I get BT Sport anyway.

AntG

Post by AntG »

Myself I can't justify getting BT Sport just for MotoGP because that's all it will be for and I believe ITV have got the highlights again so it looks like that's how I'm going to be watching MotoGP next year. Still can't moan too much as Eurosport still have British/World Superbikes, NW200, UGP, Southern 100, Armoy and Scarborough. :D

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

AntG

Post by AntG »

Kropotkin wrote:99 Euro video pass link

https://secure.motogp.com/en/user/regis ... ass/582329
As soon as I click the 'proceed to payment' box it takes me to the multi-screen option.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

AntG wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:99 Euro video pass link

https://secure.motogp.com/en/user/regis ... ass/582329
As soon as I click the 'proceed to payment' box it takes me to the multi-screen option.
Not that I am buying it, but I had a look and I get the same thing happen mate.

lilyvani

Post by lilyvani »

It also appears that it's E199 whichever country you come from, that there is no standard pass this year. For those are still inclined to shell out, it's worth watching the conversion rate - the euro is steadily sinking against the pound.

I've done the maths here, and worked out that to simply get what I was getting free-to-air from the beeb (MpotoGP in HD, on a tv), but through BT, I would have to pay £400 a year more than if I just let MotoGP go and got broadband (for free) elsewhere. That simply isn't worthwhile. Or £150 for the VP and fart around with a computer hooked up to a TV.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Apparently, the standard pass only appears to people who had a standard pass last year. Mine auto-renewed at the end of last year. I'll try to make some enquiries.
--

lilyvani

Post by lilyvani »

For what its worth I've written to Dorna, (commercial@dorna.com; mkt@dorna.com) as follows. I don't suppose it will have any effect but if anyone wants to copy, improve, whatever, maybe if enough people shout they'll sit up and listen.

Dear Dorna

I'm writing to you as an ordinary British MotoGP fan because I am concerned that your broadcasting arrangements for the UK are going to kill all interest in, and support for, the MotoGP series.

You have a 5 year deal with BT which gives them sole broadcasting rights for the UK. Last year the UK viewing figures for the final race at Valencia dropped from 1.2m in 2013, to 151k on BT Sport. You will know why, but please allow me to take you through the economics from a fan's perspective. Last year, in order to access MotoGP via BT Sport, I had to take broadband, phone & tv through BT. All in all, it cost me around £100 extra, purely to watch MotoGP. I have no interest in football and every other channel or programme I wanted to watch was freely available via freeview or freesat.

For 2015 I can no longer receive BT Sport unless I upgrade to fibre-optic broadband. Ultimately, to match the standard I previously enjoyed free-of-charge with the BBC - televised, in high definition - I would have to pay around £400 a year more than I would pay by sourcing broadband from elsewhere and foregoing MotoGP.

The alternative is a videopass. Last year this was 99 euros for a standard pass. This year there is no standard pass option, only a 199 euro multi-screen pass. So for 2015 the season pricing is around £150.

Both options force me to pay for functions I neither want nor need. I don't need superfast broadband, and I don't need multi-screen viewing. I simply want to watch the races from whatever camera angle the director thinks appropriate.

The point though is that even a £150 annual charge is a lot to pay just to watch 18 races, especially when I will have to either sit at a computer or wire the computer up to my tv. And a £400 surcharge is completely untenable for me. If I, as someone with a reasonably good income, am questioning the value of using family budget to pay these charges, what is it like for those on low incomes? How much of that 151k audience will be lost this year? Can you sustain MotoGP if less than 100k people actively follow the sport? Will any major network be interested in bidding next time, for a sport that has such a small audience share? What price will BT offer?

I think there is a serious risk here of causing the downfall of MotoGP, with attention, in this country at least, turning to better value programming.

regards

AntG

Post by AntG »

Kropotkin wrote:Apparently, the standard pass only appears to people who had a standard pass last year. Mine auto-renewed at the end of last year. I'll try to make some enquiries.
Yeah my problem is that my card expired before renewal so they need my new card details so it's like I'm a new customer again.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead »

My work PC goes through a German proxy.

At work it is 99/139 Euros.
At home it is 199 Euros.
Treasure Island indeed.

In 2014 I found it much easier to not watch MotoGP than I thought it would be pre-season, because in this modern world there is no shortage of entertainment. Cable doesn't come to my street and I am not allowed a satellite dish, and I'm sure as hell not watching crouched over a laptop with the square root of zero support if it doesn't work today (not an uncommon problem with IPTV). I watched a couple of highlight packages early doors on ITV, but when you know the result and the Moto3 highlights last 20 seconds what is the point?

The unintended side effect that I did not forsee before the 2014 season was that when I attended races in person (Silverstone + 3 others) the Moto3 and Moto2 races were pretty meaningless as I no longer know who is who.

Bitter? Me?

Edit: my mates 8 year had started to watch MotoGP on the BBC with his dad, but now he likes Touring Cars as that is what his dad watches now the bikes are behind obstacles. Still the bottom line looks good this year doesn't it?

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

I don't know enough to make an educated guess on the numbers, but there must be a tipping point where free-to-air and the advertising income that comes from commanding a large audience, makes more sense than a tiny audience of subscribers. I guess Dorna don't have to care about that because they've got their asses covered by their 5 year deal with BT.

Wanna see another civil war in Spain? Try putting MotoGP behind a pay wall there.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead »

frankrizzo wrote:Try putting MotoGP behind a pay wall there.
That's happening already (I learnt that Pirata is Spanish for pirate). I will try and find a link.

Edit for linky: https://motomatters.com/news/2014/02/06 ... _in_s.html

frankrizzo

Post by frankrizzo »

Wow thanks, it doesn't sound very promising. I was in Spain in November and watched the Valencia race live on Telecinco, so assumed it was all free/live. The more Dorna make it a niche sport, seemingly with every move, the smaller it'll get.

wedge

Post by wedge »

Also going through a German proxy here, and getting a range of subscription offers. Standard is €99. Selection seems to work after proceeding to payment to.

I've got BT BB myself, so I'm getting BT Sport with that.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

frankrizzo wrote:Wow thanks, it doesn't sound very promising. I was in Spain in November and watched the Valencia race live on Telecinco, so assumed it was all free/live. The more Dorna make it a niche sport, seemingly with every move, the smaller it'll get.
Telecinco shows all Spanish races live, the rest same day delay.
--

AntG

Post by AntG »

So, I've had a reply from MotoGP.com about the video pass and they say the standard subscription is no longer available in the UK unless you had the 2014 standard pass. I'm just hoping I'm able to change my card details as there doesn't seem to be a way to update it on my profile on there.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

AntG wrote:So, I've had a reply from MotoGP.com about the video pass and they say the standard subscription is no longer available in the UK unless you had the 2014 standard pass. I'm just hoping I'm able to change my card details as there doesn't seem to be a way to update it on my profile on there.
WOW, that is truly shitty. I suppose it has something to do with the TV deal, pressure on Dorna.....F'cking politics. I feel bad for you guys.

What is the least expensive package available?

AntG

Post by AntG »

Squidpuppet wrote:
AntG wrote:So, I've had a reply from MotoGP.com about the video pass and they say the standard subscription is no longer available in the UK unless you had the 2014 standard pass. I'm just hoping I'm able to change my card details as there doesn't seem to be a way to update it on my profile on there.
WOW, that is truly shitty. I suppose it has something to do with the TV deal, pressure on Dorna.....F'cking politics. I feel bad for you guys.

What is the least expensive package available?
That's exactly what I thought, fortunately they have allowed me to change my card number and have been able to purchase the standard option.