Mathew Birt/MCN. Rossi interview.

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Gustav O

Mathew Birt/MCN. Rossi interview.

Post by Gustav O »

Some interesting stuff, like that he would have rather stopped riding than continuing at Ducati...

Squidpuppet

Re: Mathew Birt/MCN. Rossi interview.

Post by Squidpuppet »

Thanks for posting. Well, we have a better picture of what Ducati's mindset was. Yikes. Good interview.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

The interviews are definitely worth watching. The part that stood out to me was: Rossi saying he would have retired before continuing with Ducati I'm actually coming around to the idea that hiring Rossi was a good thing for Ducati, even if he was the wrong rider for the bike. I guess it's possible that Pedrosa or Lorenzo could have forced the factory to fnally make the necessary changes, but there's no way of knowing for sure. Even with the last two years I'm hopeful things will turn around for the current Ducati riders at some point in the next season or two.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

dave_m wrote: I'm actually coming around to the idea that hiring Rossi was a good thing for Ducati, even if he was the wrong rider for the bike.
Expand please.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

Squidpuppet wrote:
dave_m wrote: I'm actually coming around to the idea that hiring Rossi was a good thing for Ducati, even if he was the wrong rider for the bike.
Expand please.
It's easy to say Rossi was the wrong rider because he was older and his style didn't work with the bike, but I think it may have convinced Ducati to start making serious changes. I've long thought he was the wrong rider because he wasn't signing in 2010 on the hopes that he could challenge for race wins in 2014, but I'm swayed by this comment from David Emmett:
When Rossi got on the bike, Ducati could no longer blame the rider. This was a bike that only a very special, and a very particular kind of rider can ride. That much reckoned a failure, as you are relying on something as mercurial as a remarkable talent to ride it. Such a talent comes along rarely, and when it does come along, then you have to be able to persuade such a rider to sign for you. Rossi's failure on the Ducati made them understand that it was the bike which was flawed.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

dave_m wrote:It's easy to say Rossi was the wrong rider because he was older and his style didn't work with the bike, but I think it may have convinced Ducati to start making serious changes. I've long thought he was the wrong rider because he wasn't signing in 2010 on the hopes that he could challenge for race wins in 2014, but I'm swayed by this comment from David Emmett:
]
Ah, OK, Gotcha. "Good" as in, a wake up call.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

dave_m wrote:
Squidpuppet wrote:
Expand please.
It's easy to say Rossi was the wrong rider because he was older and his style didn't work with the bike, but I think it may have convinced Ducati to start making serious changes. I've long thought he was the wrong rider because he wasn't signing in 2010 on the hopes that he could challenge for race wins in 2014, but I'm swayed by this comment from David Emmett:
When Rossi got on the bike, Ducati could no longer blame the rider. This was a bike that only a very special, and a very particular kind of rider can ride. That much reckoned a failure, as you are relying on something as mercurial as a remarkable talent to ride it. Such a talent comes along rarely, and when it does come along, then you have to be able to persuade such a rider to sign for you. Rossi's failure on the Ducati made them understand that it was the bike which was flawed.
Thanks for posting that, just spotted a typo! Can fix it now... :D
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Not hard to see why he's so popular. Good, honest answers. A fun bloke, who enjoys what he does. Not even the mundane, inane parts of his life in motogp get him down.

wish I could say the same about myself. Cool bloke.

Again, not a Rossi "fan", he's just someone who can ride a bike very well, and conducts himself quite well.

Thanks for that Gustav, great way to pass time in Aukland airport. :D
2:02.443

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Zaphod wrote:

Thanks for that Gustav, great way to pass time in Aukland airport. :D
Happy I could help out with the airport funk. :D

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Interesting to hear any little snippet of info with regards to the Ducati inner think tank. Nicky looked really pissed after Qatar, and Andrea put on a brave face when he said that was their best realistic result.

Fair play to hear straight from his own lips that the riders are better now than when he was winning multiple championships. A lot of humility has come with the last 2 seasons. Good on him, I hope he has a great year.

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

Japhrodisiac wrote:Interesting to hear any little snippet of info with regards to the Ducati inner think tank. Nicky looked really pissed after Qatar, and Andrea put on a brave face when he said that was their best realistic result.

Fair play to hear straight from his own lips that the riders are better now than when he was winning multiple championships. A lot of humility has come with the last 2 seasons. Good on him, I hope he has a great year.
Is that a backhanded compliment? He said basically what Casey said about newer riders coming along with the benefit of the sport advancing. In Casey's words "riders will come along and do things we couldn't have imagined" Humility yes on Rossi's part but not a discount of any generation of riders.

I agree about Nicky. Man, I'm tires of seeing him mouth optimism with a scowl. I'd rather him flip over to WSBK for a revived Ducati factory effort. Would be nice to see him smile, have fun, and win a couple races.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Grahluk wrote: Is that a backhanded compliment? He said basically what Casey said about newer riders coming along with the benefit of the sport advancing. In Casey's words "riders will come along and do things we couldn't have imagined" Humility yes on Rossi's part but not a discount of any generation of riders.
I didn't interperate it as Stating something new, more that ,"everybody expects him to have 1/2 a second over the opposition..." but it's not like this since Dani, Lorenzo and Casey came along. I got the impression he meant that knew he had his work cut out for him since Lorenzo threw a leg over the Yamaha (which roughly corresponds with the other two arriving at the same time.........you could nit-pick that statement, but if you get what I mean , then....), it was only popular/media oppinion that "thought" otherwise.......

Grahluk wrote: I agree about Nicky. Man, I'm tires of seeing him mouth optimism with a scowl. I'd rather him flip over to WSBK for a revived Ducati factory effort. Would be nice to see him smile, have fun, and win a couple races.
+1, Rossi is bang on......."If Audi change the thought process in the team, then they can win.........if not, then never"

Bail Nicky, go and have some fun.

..........although, you'd be kicking yourself if you left, and the next season the bloody thing came good !!!!
2:02.443