2012 Round 5 Catalunya Race Topic **Spoilers**

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Cam D

Re: 2012 Round 5 Catalunya Race Topic **Spoilers**

Post by Cam D »

Did dani say Jorge's original pass was dodgy and nearly ran him off the track? It didn't seem like that at the time, I though it was a pretty good pass.
Stoners ride was piss poor? That's pretty harsh! Poor bloke isn't even allowed to make a mistake anymore?
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Ben will have sufficient levels of Red Mist now to push him forward for the next part of the season. I really think he was in for a podium today, and it would be interesting to see the lap times comparo between he and the leaders after he returned to the track, finishing in 11th, only 2.8 sec back from Nicky. A nice Barbera-esque pass on Barbera too.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Cam D wrote:Did dani say Jorge's original pass was dodgy and nearly ran him off the track? It didn't seem like that at the time, I though it was a pretty good pass.
Stoners ride was piss poor? That's pretty harsh! Poor bloke isn't even allowed to make a mistake anymore?
I just rewatched the pass in question, and it was clean. Tight but clean. It was so early on in the race too, that it in no way affected the outcome. Get over it Pedo

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

Japhrodisiac wrote:Ben will have sufficient levels of Red Mist now to push him forward for the next part of the season. I really think he was in for a podium today, and it would be interesting to see the lap times comparo between he and the leaders after he returned to the track, finishing in 11th, only 2.8 sec back from Nicky. A nice Barbera-esque pass on Barbera too.
10th - he was doing high 43's and then low 44's. Pretty much the same as the guys at the front (Jorge was all 43's from lap 8). Ben was quite a bit faster than Rossi, Bautista, Bradl and Hayden. He was 1 - 1.5sec a lap quicker than Hayden. Stoners laps from 1/2 race were all between 43.7 to 44.3 so he was pretty consistent.
Last edited by Cam D on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

~
IMO - it was a good race. How much difference, if any, is between the factory and Satellite Yamahas. It can't be much

Ben, pure disbelief, I almost shut down the computer.,, and he showed great speed,, a bit too impatient.

Strange how Dani was able to ride the hard tires better than anyone else -- major black mark for the Honda group, making the group tire decision.

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

tz250w

Post by tz250w »

Good day of racing. Really gutted for Pol at his home round but it was an incident.

Not really sure what Dani was talking about, but to me they've all gotten a little too "gentleman like" about their own passing rules (hypocritical at times...). No big deal, it looked like it was the Yamaha and soft tire that worked today.

Ben, well... at least there was some hope. Not the best move to pull in front of the Yamaha brass... Nice recovery though.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Cam D wrote:
Japhrodisiac wrote:Ben will have sufficient levels of Red Mist now to push him forward for the next part of the season. I really think he was in for a podium today, and it would be interesting to see the lap times comparo between he and the leaders after he returned to the track, finishing in 11th, only 2.8 sec back from Nicky. A nice Barbera-esque pass on Barbera too.
10th - he was doing high 43's and then low 44's. Same as the guys at the front. Quite a bit faster than Rossi, Bautista, Bradl and Hayden.
Oops - 10th and 2.4 sec down on Nicky. Typing too fast!!
I think that when we see Ben consistently back in the fold, he will be ahead of the Tech3 boys on a regular basis

Rossifumi

Post by Rossifumi »

Japhrodisiac wrote:
Cam D wrote:Did dani say Jorge's original pass was dodgy and nearly ran him off the track? It didn't seem like that at the time, I though it was a pretty good pass.
I just rewatched the pass in question, and it was clean. Tight but clean. It was so early on in the race too, that it in no way affected the outcome. Get over it Pedo
Pedrosa said it was a hard pass and put him off line so he lost some time. He didn't make a big deal out of it and didn't say it affected the outcome of the race - he made a point of saying he did his best but Lorenzo was faster on the day.

coyote

Post by coyote »

Marquez-Pol incident a racing incident with Espargaro beign more to blame. He was ahead and in the inside taking the normal line and Pol was pushing his bike to a nonexistant gap. Seems like thee other guys except Iannone really aren't that good in wheel-to-wheel racing and feel unsure of what to do.

In MotoGP Lorenzo did the same move to Dani that Marquez did to Luthi in Qatar, with the difference being Dani has more skill to make the corner somewhat. The reaction is advising Dani to suck it up. Hilarious.

Hopefully Honda is a beast next year, Marquez gets a factory bike and he and Dani dominate the season by flag-to-flag races. Just the disgust of so many haters would be great to see.

PS. I think it's safe to say Lorenzo is the best rider out there currently. Stoner looked poor to say the least.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Apparently they have given Marquez a one minute penalty for that incident and that puts him in 24th and rabat on the podium.
Bad decision imo. If teh race directions is pressured to make decicions because your peers didn´t make them it is just as bad as not making any decisions at all....

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow.. some really, how shall I say, 'emotive' comments regarding the racing! :D

First of all, GREAT to see Spies running near the front, even though it was over too soon. I'm sure there was a world-wide groan when he went down (or, a large groan then a smaller one exactly one hour later from everyone in the UK watching on Eurosport :D ). But, he has shown he has pace to run at the front which will boost his confidence. And, he rode like a man possessed to finish 10th in the end.

Lorenzo is like a machine at the moment. When he got sucked into turn 1 behind Dani on turn 1 and went wide, rather than getting his knickers in a twist he just put his head down and pulled back 0.1 a lap until Dani made a mistake. Think the Yamaha definitely looked like the bike to beat around here.
Concerning Stoner and the Hondas, well of course they would have run the softer tyre if they could? My guess is that it made the chatter intolerable, so even with the colder temps it wasn't an option.

I think re. Dani he was just disappointed. I kind of wanted him to win as it was his home race, and I think he is due one - but, I don't think anyone was going to beat Lorenzo though today.

coyote

Post by coyote »

Gustav O wrote:Apparently they have given Marquez a one minute penalty for that incident and that puts him in 24th and rabat on the podium.
Bad decision imo. If teh race directions is pressured to make decicions because your peers didn´t make them it is just as bad as not making any decisions at all....
Pretty much a travesty and ruins the legitimacy of Moto2 championship this year.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Gustav O wrote:Apparently they have given Marquez a one minute penalty for that incident and that puts him in 24th and rabat on the podium.
I have to say I'm shocked. Is this because of the previous crashes Marquez was involved in, and because he was involved with local boy Pol?

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote: I have to say I'm shocked. Is this because of the previous crashes Marquez was involved in, and because he was involved with local boy Pol?
I have not read the official statement, just tweets from insiders, but I guess this is a bit of a "two time offender" penalty.
I think it is wrong though as it was a race incident imo.

Rossi when asked about it.

Marc Martín ‏@marcmartintw
ROS on MAQ-ESP crash: "from my view marquez is not guilty. Pol had no space to be in there"

coyote

Post by coyote »

Gustav O wrote:
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote: I have to say I'm shocked. Is this because of the previous crashes Marquez was involved in, and because he was involved with local boy Pol?
I have not read the official statement, just tweets from insiders, but I guess this is a bit of a "two time offender" penalty.
I think it is wrong though as it was a race incident imo.

Rossi when asked about it.

Marc Martín ‏@marcmartintw
ROS on MAQ-ESP crash: "from my view marquez is not guilty. Pol had no space to be in there"
But it is certain he will get the pen? Rossi's quote says it really, sanitization of this sport is moving along nicely.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

According to sources like Motomatters twitter, Marc Martin, Ian Wheeler etc it is confirmed.

Edit: we might have to wait a bit..

Matthew Birt ‏@birtymotogp
Marquez's team has appealed the penalty. No decision on appeal as yet

More on the topic.
Casey Stoner ‏@Official_CS27
Can't believe they gave Marc Marquez a 1min penalty!! Another reason why this championship needs some sorting out! I've seen much worse.

Matthew Birt ‏@birtymotogp
Opinion divided on Marquez/Espargaro crash in Moto2. Rossi and Lorenzo say unlike Qatar,this was not his fault

coyote

Post by coyote »

BTW, what's up with a 1-minute-penalty? I don't think I've ever seen someone get a time penalty that big? Isn't it usually 20-25 seconds or am I mixing it up with F1?

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

coyote wrote:BTW, what's up with a 1-minute-penalty? I don't think I've ever seen someone get a time penalty that big? Isn't it usually 20-25 seconds or am I mixing it up with F1?
I think they just grab a number that makes the rider fall as far down in the standing as they want him to.
Zarco last year got a 20 second penalty for the incident with Terol so he just fell off the podium. Today they wanted to make sure Marquez didn´t get any points.
At PI lasyt year Marquez got a one minute penalty in QP for the crash with Wilairot so he ended up last on the grid.
Last edited by Gustav O on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

As Julian Ryder has twitted marquez received a 1 minute penalty at PI and a 1 minute penalty tonight. Are the two incidents really comparable?
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

coyote

Post by coyote »

Gustav O wrote:
coyote wrote:BTW, what's up with a 1-minute-penalty? I don't think I've ever seen someone get a time penalty that big? Isn't it usually 20-25 seconds or am I mixing it up with F1?
I think they just grab a number that makes teh rider fall as far down in the standing as tehy want him to.
Zarco last year got a 20 second penalty for the incident with terol so he just fell off the podium. Toay they wanted to make sure Marquez didn´t get any points.
At PI lasyt year Marquez got a one minute penalty in QP for teh crash with Wilairot so he ended up last on the grid.
Sounds good.

coyote

Post by coyote »

Adding to the point that we've already seen Espargaro all over teh place in the last 2 laps of Estoril, making many "doomed" moves which forces Marquez to avoid him. I take it he was doing no wrong then and it was just great racing? Now that Marquez shuts the door and Espargaro decides to ride through him it's Marquez fault?

ieism

Post by ieism »

I had to watch it again to make sure we're all talking about the same incident with Marquez here. I was furious when he cut off Luthi, but this didn't look intentional to me. He wobbled and nearly lost it, than got back to the apex a little too sudden while Pol was already there. Bad decision, yes. Worth a penalty, probably not.

But it's not the first reckless move i've seen by him, so I'm not too upset about it to be honest. It's more of a "watch what you're doing kid" penalty. ;)
"I get it, you're favorite rider is better than mine. Just stop trying to convince me to join your fanclub ok?"

CLX

Post by CLX »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:(...) My guess is that it made the chatter intolerable, so even with the colder temps it wasn't an option. (...)
My guess as well.

Marquez was penalized for Qatar and other moves now, IMO.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

What a mess they created there.

MotoGP™ ‏@MotoGP
After Marquez team placed an appeal after his penalty from race direction, the decision was eventually overturned.

So now he is still second in the race if that is correct...

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Gustav O wrote:What a mess they created there.

MotoGP™ ‏@MotoGP
After Marquez team placed an appeal after his penalty from race direction, the decision was eventually overturned.

So now he is still second in the race if that is correct...

Good grief..............
2:02.443