2012 Round 5 Catalunya Race Topic **Spoilers**

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Squidpuppet

Re: 2012 Round 5 Catalunya Race Topic **Spoilers**

Post by Squidpuppet »

WayneG wrote:Great photo!
http://instagr.am/p/LVrqyKQIAk/

I was watching the super slow mo of Stoner through that corner, not only was he getting his elbow down he had to tuck it into his body to get more lean angle. The guy is a freak of nature.
You see him going through that right hander fully crossed up in slo mo? Bradl was doing a milder version too. :D

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

Gustav O wrote:
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:Well, I guess they were both similar moves. Undoubtedly Nakagami's move ended up worse! But, the organisers made a statement when they decided not to punish Marquez with the Luthi incident, so it would be unfair to punish Nakagami now.
Fair point. I was mostly stirring the pot as there was so much outrage against Marquez..
I think Nakagamis was impatient and sloppy. I think Marquez's move was calculated and deliberate. :D

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Gustav O wrote:
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:Well, I guess they were both similar moves. Undoubtedly Nakagami's move ended up worse! But, the organisers made a statement when they decided not to punish Marquez with the Luthi incident, so it would be unfair to punish Nakagami now.
Fair point. I was mostly stirring the pot as there was so much outrage against Marquez..

8-) :D

I didn't see the latest incident.

My own irrelevent opinion, I don't like Marquez. I don't/didn't like Biaggi. I do/did like Capirex.

All three have run people off track, in different ways, granted......but none the less, they have deliberatley run (open to endless debate, depending on view point) someone off the track.

Who ever does it, it should be one of the harshest penalties you can recieve.

They gave Simo a ride through, and a spanking, for what was (unless you want an everlasting, view point dependent, debate) a racing incident with Pedrosa. (lets face it, there's been worse "racing incidents")

They let Biaggi slide on a blatent move to stick Rossi out into the dirt.

They nailed Capirex for a similar move.

Where is the consistancy ?
2:02.443

Gar

Post by Gar »

Gustav O wrote:
Gar wrote:

What was to be gained? It wasn't a race, it was qualifying.
I don´t think Nakagamis move was planned but I don´t think Marquez move was worse. Nakagamis was even more reckless than Marquezs, imo.
No argument there, stuffing a rider and then standing on the brakes in practice is an act of thoughtless stupidity.
Support the Young Riders Fund
http://youngridersfund.org/

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

Squidpuppet wrote:
WayneG wrote:Great photo!
http://instagr.am/p/LVrqyKQIAk/

I was watching the super slow mo of Stoner through that corner, not only was he getting his elbow down he had to tuck it into his body to get more lean angle. The guy is a freak of nature.
You see him going through that right hander fully crossed up in slo mo? Bradl was doing a milder version too. :D
Loving the more gratuitous use of the super slow mo. That turn 10/11 is a dream for dramatic cornering. Stoner & Bradl crossed up were pretty nice. What about that video of Pol Espargaro through there during QP? His elbow plate was throwing sparks. :shock:

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Grahluk wrote:Stoner & Bradl crossed up were pretty nice.
Bradl's riding is very nice to watch, he's really taken to the class extremely well. If he can get on a competitive bike, I don't think Marquez is going to have things anywhere near as much as the standout graduate from moto2 as I, and I think most people, had pencilled in as a given. LCR haven't had a first-year rider with as much potential since '06 in the premier class, and that's not discounting the good things that de Puniet did once he got onto BS tyres, which of course was not his first year with LCR.
Road rash is nature's way of telling you you should have widened your entry

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

Bradl fastest (so far) in warm up with a 2 min lap time? Rain?
Last edited by Cam D on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

sege

Post by sege »

Cam D wrote:Bradl fastest in warm up with a 2 min lap time? Rain?
Wet..isch. Getting wetter. Red flag for a few minutes while trying to get Ellisons bike away. Riders falling everywhere all the time. Now out again, Pedrosa well after half a lap, Lorenzo almost one lap later. Seems to be extremely slippery.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Looks like the rain will stay away now, they are saying it might come in later today or tomorrow.

Really great 125 race!
I was cringing every time Rossi came past with that exhaust waving about, hope he is OK as he had quite a large burned patch on the ass of his leathers towards the end of the race!
Perfect ride by Vinales who rode away while the rest of them duffed each other up.
And, I think Cortese will be happy with 2nd, they said they were lancing stuff from his hand before the race.. :|

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Moto 2.

Lap one, turn 3.what the hell is it with Marquez !!?? wanker move hanging Agerter out on the ripple strip.

It can surely no longer be a slip up, or a judgement call.

Smiling assasin.

Edit.

What a master class from Marquez !

Good to see Luthi and Iannone exchange respect in Parc.
Last edited by Zaphod on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick

Post by rick »

Sheet, Marquez taking out Espargo ?

Why do people keep making excuses ?

He continues to chop across at the end of the straight after making a pass, and then after the lose chops down on Espargo.

That was bloody nasty.

[edit] Hmm, Daryl Beattie is saying racing incident.
Am I letting my dislike of Marquez colour my interpretation of the incident ?
Last edited by rick on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the older I get, the faster I was....

akeizm

Post by akeizm »

Commententators were saying that a few riders in the moto2 field aren't happy with the moves Marques pulls. They just need to do what Iannone did, marc runs across infront of you, you just dive up the inside.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

It has been reported, and seems quite obvious from the parc display from Iannone and Luthi that he has no respect from other riders.

Poor Pol....... they can say Marquez was "in front" all they want.

It is also obvious that whoever is behind or along side him is just expected to deal with whatever he does.

Guy makes my blood boil.

Awesome display of close, hard riding from Iannone and Luthi. Well done to both !

In regard to Marquez, all I can think of is how much sh!t Sic copped for the pedrosa incident.......and yet......

Smiling assasin.

You're right Akeizm. Well done by Iannone. Try your crap mate, I'll shove it up you the other way.

With decorum and style.
Last edited by Zaphod on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CLX

Post by CLX »

What did he do this time?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

turned in on Pol when pol was 9.8/10ths past him after Marquez made a mistake. Ruined a brilliant save by needlessly turning in on another rider and smashing him off his bike.

The overhead shot shows it for what it is.

Rossifumi

Post by Rossifumi »

Zaphod wrote:turned in on Pol when pol was 9.8/10ths past him after Marquez made a mistake. Ruined a brilliant save by needlessly turning in on another rider and smashing him off his bike.

would add that Marquez had run wide and Espargaro was coming through on the racing line. Marquez, going relatively slowly, turned back on to the apex, knocking off Espargaro who was already there.

SP_won

Post by SP_won »

Another sleazebag move by Marquez. Pity for Espargaro. The golden boy needs a slap.

rick

Post by rick »

Rossifumi wrote:
Zaphod wrote:turned in on Pol when pol was 9.8/10ths past him after Marquez made a mistake. Ruined a brilliant save by needlessly turning in on another rider and smashing him off his bike.

would add that Marquez had run wide and Espargaro was coming through on the racing line. Marquez, going relatively slowly, turned back on to the apex, knocking off Espargaro who was already there.
The speed they were carrying at the time was what made the prang so nasty.

I'm really surprised Daryl Beattie said it was Espargo's fault for putting his bike there ?

Isn't he supposed to go for the gap when it's there ?
the older I get, the faster I was....

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

To be honest, I'm really, really surprised at the attitude towards Marquez on Pol, or rather Pol on Marquez! It was a racing incident, nothing more, with both riders trying to occupy the same piece of track. This was the opinion of the guys on Eurosport, and the people I was watching the race with - like Neil Spalding said, would they have been having the discussion if it was a rider other than Marquez?

Were none of you guys watching 250s when Simoncelli/Bautista/Barbera were deliberately knocking each other off the track? Now that was something to complain about. :D
My honest opinion - Esparago was down on pace this weekend compared to the 3 in front of him. He was riding his socks off just to stay with them, and only closed in when the front 3 started overtaking each other. When Marquez lost the front, Pol is a racer, saw a gap and went for it. That narrow line around the corner was not wide enough for both of them and unfortunately it was Pol who went down (could easily have been both of them).

I will be very, very surprised if race direction punish Marquez for it. Especially in light of the previous Marquez-Luthi incident, which IMO was much worse because it looked pre-meditated, rather than 2 riders just going mental for the same piece of road.

Glad Pol is OK in any case, initially it looked like he had head-planted into the ground but it was perhaps more shock that left him lying in the sand trap.

Anyway not to detract from the other guys in 1st and 2nd - Iannonne for one of the best rides I have ever seen from him, riding quickly but without looking like a maniac and like he was 1mm from crashing every other corner. I kind of thought he deserved to win after leading so much of the race! Luthi also, that pass under Marquez was surely one of the best of the season in any class. Both of those guys have to be happy that they had the pace to run with Marquez looking forward to the rest of the year.

Rossifumi

Post by Rossifumi »

I'd agree that this looked less premeditated than Qatar and more stupid or careless, but it's still happening too often from one rider. Simoncelli eventually got sanctioned last year - I think it's getting to that point for Marquez

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:To be honest, I'm really, really surprised at the attitude towards Marquez on Pol, or rather Pol on Marquez! It was a racing incident, nothing more, with both riders trying to occupy the same piece of track. This was the opinion of the guys on Eurosport, and the people I was watching the race with - like Neil Spalding said, would they have been having the discussion if it was a rider other than Marquez?

Were none of you guys watching 250s when Simoncelli/Bautista/Barbera were deliberately knocking each other off the track? Now that was something to complain about. :D
My honest opinion - Esparago was down on pace this weekend compared to the 3 in front of him. He was riding his socks off just to stay with them, and only closed in when the front 3 started overtaking each other. When Marquez lost the front, Pol is a racer, saw a gap and went for it. That narrow line around the corner was not wide enough for both of them and unfortunately it was Pol who went down (could easily have been both of them).

I will be very, very surprised if race direction punish Marquez for it. Especially in light of the previous Marquez-Luthi incident, which IMO was much worse because it looked pre-meditated, rather than 2 riders just going mental for the same piece of road.

Glad Pol is OK in any case, initially it looked like he had head-planted into the ground but it was perhaps more shock that left him lying in the sand trap.

Anyway not to detract from the other guys in 1st and 2nd - Iannonne for one of the best rides I have ever seen from him, riding quickly but without looking like a maniac and like he was 1mm from crashing every other corner. I kind of thought he deserved to win after leading so much of the race! Luthi also, that pass under Marquez was surely one of the best of the season in any class. Both of those guys have to be happy that they had the pace to run with Marquez looking forward to the rest of the year.
Dunno Ninj, it looked pretty dodgy from just about every angle they played it. "Would they have been having the discussion if it was a rider other than Marquez?", I guess he has been involved in so many incidents now that people are starting to see a pattern. Personally, I reckon after he ran wide off the racing line he should have expected Pol to go up the inside, he's been doing this long enough now. He just doesnt seem to give a rats about anyone else on the track.

edit: Dani was in a similar position during the MotoGP race and he looked to see where the following rider was when coming back on line.
Last edited by Cam D on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote: - like Neil Spalding said, would they have been having the discussion if it was a rider other than Marquez?
I for one would.
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:Were none of you guys watching 250s when Simoncelli/Bautista/Barbera were deliberately knocking each other off the track? Now that was something to complain about. :D

And what sort of reputation did those three carry with them ?

So because they did it, it makes it right ?

Hell, why don't they just start sticking elbows out coming onto the straight and run the other guy into the dirt ?

Biaggi and Capirex did it, so it's ok now.

Puzzled......wrong for Sic to have a go around the outside at the same speed as Pedrosa , but OK for Marquez to cut back in on a rider who hadn't lost any momentum, when he had lost bucket loads. He had pit boards.....he knew where everyone was in relation to him.

If he didn't....what's he doing racing at that level ?

And judging by his reception from other unaffected riders, it's not just sideline pundits who have an opinion on his riding "style"...........or lack there-of.

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

WOOHOO Ben! Great start... c'mon boy!

edit:.... bugger.

edit 2: Amazing ride by Jorge, I really enjoy watching him do his job. Nice effort from Dovi to stay ahead of Casey. A real shame for Ben,but he was having a go.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

The incident with Marquez and Pol was a pure race incident imo, race direction seems to agree as well.

Really impressive race by Jorge today. Just an astounding ride.
Great to see Dovi on the podium and good to see Rossi gettinig closer in the dry as well.

feel really sorry for Ben as well because he was on it today and would have been on the podium or very close. Great to see that he is back to speed though.
What´s Stoners excuse today then? ;)

drayon

Post by drayon »

Wow, Stoner WTF??? Running the hard tyre on an overcast day with a track temperature much cooler than all the practice sessions. Lap times were all over the place until the last lap then does a faster one than Lorenzo's last lap. Why he waited until the last lap to finish 10 seconds behind and still not beat Dovi, man, that was piss poor!!!

Well done to Lorenzo for again making everyone look like amateurs.