MOTM rnd 4 2012 LeMans **Spoilers**

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
WayneG

Re: MOTM rnd 4 2012 LeMans **Spoilers**

Post by WayneG »

From memory it was the first downshift which deactivated the launch control. Apparently JL didn't downshift after the practice start at LS just rolled around the corner.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

The Launch control switches mode after the first gear changes, ie start - coming in to the first corner means changing gears both up and down. At LS Lorenzo just did the start in first, slowed donw and entered the corner and when he got back o the gas he was flipped over as teh bike though he was doing a start.

Cappra

Post by Cappra »

The Lord and Master of Le Mans.....

Others did a sterling job, others entertained, others showed promise, but there was only one master. As another wag said here 'he was so fast even the cameras couldn't keep up with him' :) .

Grahluk

MOTM rnd 4 2012 LeMans **Spoilers**

Post by Grahluk »

Cappra wrote:The Lord and Master of Le Mans.....

Others did a sterling job, others entertained, others showed promise, but there was only one master. As another wag said here 'he was so fast even the cameras couldn't keep up with him' :) .
yeah, I almost checked Twitter about halfway through the race to see if JL had tweeted something from the front to tell us how his race was going. He always holds up that sign on the grid that reads "If you can't follow me on the track, follow me on Twitter". I tried Jorge, I tried.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

With all the discussions about Jerez 2011 involving Stoner and Rossi, that was also a wet race Lorenzo won by a good margin. The Yamaha is a very capable bike in the wet I'd say, pretty much every wet race we've had recently there have been Yamaha riders near the front.

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

dave_m wrote:With all the discussions about Jerez 2011 involving Stoner and Rossi, that was also a wet race Lorenzo won by a good margin. The Yamaha is a very capable bike in the wet I'd say, pretty much every wet race we've had recently there have been Yamaha riders near the front.
I think maybe the credit should go to Jorge as he's been pretty much towards the front in every wet race lately, so it makes the Yamaha look good. He really has nailed wet weather riding and if you took him out of it there hasn't really been any single manufacturer that seems to stand out. Dovi was fast in the wet on a Honda, Rossi has been quick in the wet for Yamaha and Ducati and Casey has always gone well in the wet.
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

dave_m wrote:With all the discussions about Jerez 2011 involving Stoner and Rossi, that was also a wet race Lorenzo won by a good margin. The Yamaha is a very capable bike in the wet I'd say, pretty much every wet race we've had recently there have been Yamaha riders near the front.
He still beat the closest Yamaha by almost a minute, yeah Dovi and Cal crashed but Jorge didn´t and he was faster all the time.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

Cam D wrote:
I think maybe the credit should go to Jorge as he's been pretty much towards the front in every wet race lately, so it makes the Yamaha look good. He really has nailed wet weather riding and if you took him out of it there hasn't really been any single manufacturer that seems to stand out. Dovi was fast in the wet on a Honda, Rossi has been quick in the wet for Yamaha and Ducati and Casey has always gone well in the wet.
I wasn't trying to take anything away from Jorge, just pointing out how he also won Jerez by a lot, and other Yamaha riders had done well in the rain. Last year Edwards had a podium at Silverstone and would have had one at Jerez before his fuel pump problem on the last lap, and Spies finished second at Valencia last year. It just seemed to me the rain gave the other Yamaha riders a little more of a chance, but the fast riders (Stoner, Rossi, etc) will be up there regardless. My theory may not hold much water this year, if Dovi and Crutchlow keep racing each other and crashing in the wet.

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

dave_m wrote:
Cam D wrote:
I wasn't trying to take anything away from Jorge, just pointing out how he also won Jerez by a lot, and other Yamaha riders had done well in the rain. Last year Edwards had a podium at Silverstone and would have had one at Jerez before his fuel pump problem on the last lap, and Spies finished second at Valencia last year. It just seemed to me the rain gave the other Yamaha riders a little more of a chance, but the fast riders (Stoner, Rossi, etc) will be up there regardless. My theory may not hold much water this year, if Dovi and Crutchlow keep racing each other and crashing in the wet.
No problems Dave, I didn't take it that way and I forgot about CEII's efforts last year. With the current crop of riders if I had to choose a winner for a wet race it would be Jorge every time, with Casey not a long way behind. Dani has gone well in the wet previously but not sure where he's at these days.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Cam D wrote:if I had to choose a winner for a wet race it would be Jorge every time,
Silverstone 2011 anyone? :)
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

hahahaha .... yeah well.... I got nothin' :D

Rusty Bucket USA

Post by Rusty Bucket USA »

I think the point about the wet is how much more it is about the rider than the bike. There doesn't seem to be any question that Jorge brings back a bike with more tread on the wet tires than anyone else, and he often wins, to boot.
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.

Gar

Post by Gar »

The only thing wet weather riding proves is who rides the best in the wet.
Support the Young Riders Fund
http://youngridersfund.org/

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes I think the 4-stroke Yam (and actually the old 2-stroke for that matter, especially the 250) always seems to have gone well in the wet. Perhaps something to do with usability, and nice power delivery. If you take Stoner out of the equation (who was the 1st Honda by some margin) it definitely seems like the Yam has got the edge in those conditions in any case.
yeah, I almost checked Twitter about halfway through the race to see if JL had tweeted something from the front to tell us how his race was going. He always holds up that sign on the grid that reads "If you can't follow me on the track, follow me on Twitter". I tried Jorge, I tried.
If this was the old Motogpnews website, he would have written that comment about Jorge having enough time to stop, and write 2 essays about Lord of the Rings; One to discuss the homosexual overtones concerning the hobbits, and the other about why they didn't just ride the giant eagle to the volcano :D

CLX

Post by CLX »

Le Mans is probabl JLo's strongsest circuit. Rossi rode great as well, but it was podium or bust with the bonus of beating Stoner for once since who knows when. Having slim to none championship hopes allows that. I give JLo my MOTM.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.