Silly season 2013

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Zaphod

Re: Silly season 2013

Post by Zaphod »

I meant from HRC's position of looking at riders to fill a soon to be vacant seat, not from the position of what was motivating Rossi.
2:02.443

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

So is Bradley Smith really guaranteed a spot on the Tech3 Yamaha MotoGP team next year? I'm just a little surprised based on the standings...do they just think it's time for him? Bring a lot of sponsors? I'm just asking, because those two seats would seem to have a lot of competition for them.

Sloth27

Post by Sloth27 »

dave_m wrote:So is Bradley Smith really guaranteed a spot on the Tech3 Yamaha MotoGP team next year? I'm just a little surprised based on the standings...do they just think it's time for him? Bring a lot of sponsors? I'm just asking, because those two seats would seem to have a lot of competition for them.
There must be clauses in that contract because I can't understand why you would bother to sign someone like Smith a year in advance without knowing how he'll perform throughout this year. It's not like they had to prevent him from going elsewhere because there's not that many good seats.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

The guys on Eurosport were hypothesizing that it's one of the reasons he has stayed on the Tech3 bike, something that is having almost zero development, this year. Tech3 have essentially told him, "look we know it's not as good as the other chassis' out there, but just hang about for another year and we will give you a GP ride".

I think his performance in the wet shows where his riding is at, and highlights the problems that bike is having in the dry. He made a questionable decision of trying to catch Kallio through the final corners of Le Mans, even though the latter was quite far ahead (at least, that is what I take happened - the conditions were still atrocious!) but otherwise I think he rode well.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:The guys on Eurosport were hypothesizing that it's one of the reasons he has stayed on the Tech3 bike, something that is having almost zero development, this year. Tech3 have essentially told him, "look we know it's not as good as the other chassis' out there, but just hang about for another year and we will give
you a GP ride".
Hasn´t he had several different chassis to test at the start of this season? I am pretty sure he mentioned that as one reason he was a bit behind - he had been testing so much new stuff.

Apparently the move to MotoGP in 2013 is pretty much set in stone but at that point Tech 3 where considering making their own CRT bike as well.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport ... ley-smith/

Gar

Post by Gar »

The last comment from Poncheral was that a CRT bike was on hold. I think Smith is set in stone, as much as it can be in a cutthroat business, and I think Smith is looking less than his talent based on his bike.

I'm relatively new here and few know me, so I should make on point for the future: I am often wrong.
Support the Young Riders Fund
http://youngridersfund.org/

Tormo4ever

Post by Tormo4ever »

Surely the tech3 doesn t look like the best bike out there, but Bradley hasn t exactly set the world on fire. Very committed and fast , yea, but beaten by Simón in 125cc on the same bike for the championship, and not really cutting it in m2. I really can t see him being competitive as a tech 3 yamaha hould be in mgp. Herve, though, must know better.

Redding is one rider i think could be interesting in mgp. Guy s too big for m2 and seems to me he keeps moaning about it instead of trying to lose some weight. Doesn t look to me as ripped as he should. His weight may be of less importance on a motogp but races will be much more physycally demanding.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:The guys on Eurosport were hypothesizing that it's one of the reasons he has stayed on the Tech3 bike, something that is having almost zero development, this year. Tech3 have essentially told him, "look we know it's not as good as the other chassis' out there, but just hang about for another year and we will give you a GP ride".

I think his performance in the wet shows where his riding is at, and highlights the problems that bike is having in the dry. He made a questionable decision of trying to catch Kallio through the final corners of Le Mans, even though the latter was quite far ahead (at least, that is what I take happened - the conditions were still atrocious!) but otherwise I think he rode well.
And his contract for MotoGP with Tech3 is for TWO years. Sight unseen. :shock: Maybe he brings a bunch of cash/sponsorship dough with him. Dunno.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

Squidpuppet wrote:And his contract for MotoGP with Tech3 is for TWO years. Sight unseen. :shock: Maybe he brings a bunch of cash/sponsorship dough with him. Dunno.
I'm sure they have their reasons, it would make a lot more sense to me if Tech3 was expanding and fielding additional CRT bikes, but if not...I guess we'll see next year.

Dennis Noyes also thinks HRC are going after Lorenzo for next year. I wonder if they'll sign Pedrosa before they know for sure from Lorenzo?

Gar

Post by Gar »

Tormo4ever wrote:Very committed and fast , yea, but beaten by Simón in 125cc on the same bike for the championship, and not really cutting it in m2.
It is my understanding that in 125 Simon and Smith had the same stickers on the bike but not the same engine.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

dave_m wrote:Dennis Noyes also thinks HRC are going after Lorenzo for next year. I wonder if they'll sign Pedrosa before they know for sure from Lorenzo?
This is why I say that Rossi to Yamaha isnt impossible. IF Jorge were to go to Honda, Yamaha would need an alien. They have some great talent in Dovi, Cal and Ben, but so far we havent seen championship winning performances/consitency. I love watching Cal though. :) It will truly suck if the factory Yamahas get upgrades during the year that Tech3 wont, and Cal/Dovi stop fighting at the front because of that.

Watching the Jorge thing play out will be interesting. I remember after he won the Championship and had yet to resign, a Journo asked what the holdup was and he responded "We are waiting for offers". Jorge loves bikes, but he values the dollars as he is well aware of how dangerous and potentially short a MotoGP career can be.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Squidpuppet wrote:
This is why I say that Rossi to Yamaha isnt impossible. IF Jorge were to go to Honda, Yamaha would need an alien. They have some great talent in Dovi, Cal and Ben, but so far we havent seen championship winning performances/consitency. I love watching Cal though. :) It will truly suck if the factory Yamahas get upgrades during the year that Tech3 wont, and Cal/Dovi stop fighting at the front because of that.

Watching the Jorge thing play out will be interesting. I remember after he won the Championship and had yet to resign, a Journo asked what the holdup was and he responded "We are waiting for offers". Jorge loves bikes, but he values the dollars as he is well aware of how dangerous and potentially short a MotoGP career can be.
I think that is a pretty lame tweet by someone like Noyes. It would be something to tweet if HRC said that they would NOT try to get Jorge...

I think Jarvis first words to Jorge after that press conference was - What do you need to re sign?
If Jorge is smart he stays - imo.

raisinberry777

Post by raisinberry777 »

Jorge's definitely a very clever rider when it comes down to the money - I remember a while back reading an interview with someone who pegged him as a future team owner. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

Can't remember which thread we were discussing this in....
UPDATE: after collecting 335 pounds, the collection was stopped because, apparently, even Crutchlow will have the new Brembo from the next race.

Read more: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... z1vxWU7UnF
I wonder if Tech 3 have stepped in and made sure both riders have the new brakes? Maybe Cal stepped up and bought his own? It would be interesting to know.
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Cam D wrote:Can't remember which thread we were discussing this in....
UPDATE: after collecting 335 pounds, the collection was stopped because, apparently, even Crutchlow will have the new Brembo from the next race.

Read more: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... z1vxWU7UnF
I wonder if Tech 3 have stepped in and made sure both riders have the new brakes? Maybe Cal stepped up and bought his own? It would be interesting to know.
Soup reported that Stoner uses the old brakes, though both factory M1s use the new version. Probably not much in it then...

Gar

Post by Gar »

Crutchlow said in no uncertain terms that it is not his duty to buy parts.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Stoner tweeted to Cal that he shouldn't worry too much, he (Stoner) uses the old type, as he found no real benefits in using the new type/didn't like them.

Cal also said, in no uncertain terms, that "Dovizioso has been a factory rider for three years. He should be ahead of me "....also, "It's not my job to buy brakes.My job is to race motorcycles."

:lol: :D

Good Lad. By virtue of racing background/pedigree, he is making Dovi look rather.....well.....ummm.........you find the word. ;) :lol:

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Zaphod wrote:
Good Lad. By virtue of racing background/pedigree, he is making Dovi look rather.....well.....ummm.........you find the word. ;) :lol:
As Dovi has been beating Cal the last races I think it makes Cal look a bit like whiner - he has from the start of the season whined about the Factory boys having better stuff and now when Dovi is beating him he is whining about the brakes.
One thing to consider is that Dovi has to transition from the RC-V that he has been riding for three years to the M1 that requires a different riding as it has other strengths.
Dovi will beat Cal in the championship.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Meh..... I don't have that high an opinion of Dovi. Same kit as Pedrosa, did little with it. Good on the brakes, so the new stuff he bought should help him out, however, his overall lap speed in races still seems to wanting (compared to the other front runners), what he seems to do is, out brake everyone, then hold them up when they would normally be getting better drive, or whatever, than he does.... regardless of which bike he happens to be riding.

......which, I supose, is a talent in itself.

By virtue of how Poncheral said the Tech three team works as an entry vehicle ( rookie rule) for new talent to arrive, get up to speed and move on after a season or two, Dovi shouldn't have been picked up at all. (this is what he said Tech three was all about when they let Edwards go)

Sure, Edwards was no rookie by any stretch, but at least he has good value as a development rider. I don't think Yamaha were ready at the time to lose his services, but what with signing Lorenzo, and having Rossi......they had to stick him somewhere to continue their (Yamaha) program.

I don't see the point in hiring someone who continually finished second to his team-mate/team-mates. And having all his 125/250 and motoGP experience behind him, it must be very disconcerting to be very seriously challenged by an ex WSS rider.

........to the point where you go out and buy stuff yourself to help exploit the only strength you have over your team-mate.

For the moment.

If Cal gets supplied the same brakes, and he continues his learning curve, I don't see Dovi doing anymore than he ever has.

Where has Dovi beaten Cal ?....LeMans and Estoril ?

Two out of four, as well as being outclassed in Qualifying doesn't do much to uphold his self belief that he is worthy of being Lorenzo's team-mate over Cal.

I also don't see Cal as a whiner.........matter-of-fact, pull-no-punches like Stoner......maybe, but not moaning.

To paraphrase from another forum, about all Dovi does is to follow in Pedrosa's footsteps in trying to "out Mamola, Mamola"

Only he's not as good as Dani at getting wins and Podiums.

......even when on the same machinery.

Hell, based on effort, passion and drive, I'd have given his current ride to RdP, Bautista, Bradl.....the list goes on.

dave_m

Post by dave_m »

Dovi will have to have quite the season on Tech3 for people to forget his relative lack of results during his Repsol years. I doubt the Yamaha factory team is going to pick him up, although they do probably view him as the perfect Edwards replacement at Tech3. If Ducati was desperate for a factory rider next year, they might give him a shot, but that's more about their lack of options.

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

Gustav O wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
As Dovi has been beating Cal the last races I think it makes Cal look a bit like whiner - he has from the start of the season whined about the Factory boys having better stuff and now when Dovi is beating him he is whining about the brakes.
One thing to consider is that Dovi has to transition from the RC-V that he has been riding for three years to the M1 that requires a different riding as it has other strengths.
Dovi will beat Cal in the championship.
Agreed. Full marks for Dovi to have the balls to get off his butt and improve his circumstances, rather than sit around and complain to anyone that will listen, that everyone else is getting the good stuff. Cal will get given brakes so I guess the squeeky wheel gets the oil. Dovi is quietly getting on with the job and backing himself to get the results, and I have respect for the way he goes about his job. Currently Dovi is in the top 5 riders in the world, and has a couple of World Champions behind him, that seems pretty good from my seat on the couch.
Hell, based on effort, passion and drive, I'd have given his current ride to RdP, Bautista, Bradl.....the list goes on.
The guy goes out and pays $60000 for brakes and you're questioning his passion and drive?
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Way too early to write Dovi off for a factory Yam. seat. IF Lorenzo goes to Honda, then (unless Spies turns thing around fairly dramatically) Yam. may well be looking for two riders for next year. I don't think Rossi is going to jump from Ducati unless the entire year is a total flop, he has something (well, several things, really) to prove there. Crutchlow is a real attention-magnet for Tech 3 and they'll want to keep him for the sponsor frisson he generates - and they have the Smith issue to deal with. A Dovi / Bradl combo at Yamaha could be workable; Honda will be looking to get Marquez onto a factory-spec bike which could make it hard for Bradl to get a better ride than a factory Yam.

Which rather leaves Pedrosa in a precarious position - at least until Lorenzo makes a decision. I can't help but wonder if 'the leak' at HRC came from the Pedrosa side of the camp. It's the only scenario I can see that makes the slightest sense - trying to force Repsol's hand to secure their remaining alien and at the same time opening up Lorenzo's opportunities to drive an unacceptable price for a change to Honda in a Honda/Yamaha bidding war in the face of the oncoming Marquez train. Mind you, that only works if Puig was hoping to tie down a two years' contract for Pedrosa and keep Marquez out until 2015.
Road rash is nature's way of telling you you should have widened your entry

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Yeah, the Pedrosa thing is going to take on a "Days of our Lives" in the next year or two. Stoner seemed pretty sure he knew who leaked the info, as there were only a certain amout (handful) of people at the meeting. He didn't seem to alude to that side of the camp (Puig).....then agaian, in rather strange fashion for him ( what with his calling spades effing shovels ;) :lol: ) he didn't give any information away about who it was.

Anyway, it would seem Dani is a marked man somewhere in the next two years.

My prediction game, or something I'd like to watch the betting trends on is, When, what most of us see as, the inevitable happens, will Puig give up and go home, leaving Dani to fend for himself........or will he move to another team with Dani.

As a side note......will any other team welcome Puig ?

Back to Dovi.......

Each to their own. Everyone see's things differently, and going on his HRC days.....I just don't get what the great hope for Dovi is.

Lets face it, he just spent 60 grand on brakes to be able to beat a second year rookie straight out of WSS. If another, more accomplished rider ;) had done the same, it'd be open slather as to how inept he was. But because he's Dovi, and he's a nice, under-dog type guy, we should ignore the facts ?

I don't go much on Pedrosa based on stats either, but at least he wins and podiums a few times a year....even if Stoner is flogging him silly, more often than not, he podiums.

Dovi couldn't do that on the , for all money, best bike in the field against Pedrosa.

.......if the argument that he wasn't getting the bike he wanted, or that Pedrosa got, then the dig about Cal and squeaky wheels would seem rather hypocritical.

I'm just saying that if I were Jarvis, I'd be picking the hungrier, point to prove guy........ not the guy who ran consistant 4th to 6th places on a factory HRC bike.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Zaphod wrote:I'm just saying that if I were Jarvis, I'd be picking the hungrier, point to prove guy........ not the guy who ran consistant 4th to 6th places on a factory HRC bike.
One of that - Bradl. One to bring the bike home, take points from the opposition, not cost too much - Dovi. I agree he spent too much time at Repsol just circulating but late last year he started to fire up and I just think that he's suddenly discovered that there may be one good chance to grab some of the glittering prize. If he slumps back in the next few races, then he's settled for his lot in the paddock, but I think he's not going to do that. We'll see.
Road rash is nature's way of telling you you should have widened your entry

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Bradl, I think from what I see, is analytical........not gung-ho. That could see him turn into a Pedrosa/Dovi.......or a Lorenzo. Time will tell.

I agree with your statements in regards to Dovi, my problem is, he only pulled his finger out when he knew he was going and needed another seat.

And even then, his results weren't that much better.

I don't think he'll settle for his lot in the paddock, just that he's the best of the rest.........and maybe not even that. You'd have to get imaginative and draw long, impossible bows with that one.

What if RdP, or (shudder) Barbera.....hell, even maybe K.A were on the same bike ?

Nice guy,a real trier,.... but....