HRC just tweeted that '12 will be Stoner's last year in MGP

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
MPA

HRC just tweeted that '12 will be Stoner's last year in MGP

Post by MPA »

About a minute ago:

Repsol Honda Team ‏@HRC_MotoGP
Casey just announced that 2012 will be his final year in the MotoGP Championship. Let's hope he has a fantastic year!
https://twitter.com/#!/HRC_MotoGP/statu ... 1565514754

Nachlauf

Re: HRC just tweeted that '12 will be Stoner's last year in

Post by Nachlauf »

Confirmed by MotogP twitter and Rhys Edwards.

Well, we always knew he wasn't gonna stay around forever. Let's cross fingers for an interesting remainder of the season.

MPA

Post by MPA »

I never thought he'd retire after this year. Seeing him on the Honda the last 2 seasons shows he could've won a bunch of championships over the next few years. Interested to see the whole press conference now.

JcM

Post by JcM »

Wow.

Sad really. Hopefully it isn't goodbye forever.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Holy f*ck.
I was expecting 2014 or so...

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

`What and unbelievably utter waste of talent. He probably has @ 5 more years at the top. Sorry but, personally, between the fishing vacation and this crap, I now have zero respect for him. Great talent thrown away at the prime of his career. His speed doesn't grow on trees
(Save the rebuttal all, I might be wrong in the eyes of a few and I know it's only a selfish fan-of-racing point of view, but It's the way I feel). Pissed beyond belief ! :evil:

BTW - Id feel the same way if Lorenzo quit this year too.

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Well, he has said all along that he wasn't going to be in it for the long haul. I think it is a little earlier than most expected but I didn't see him racing beyond 2013.

Stoner has never been in this to prove anything to anyone. He knows exactly how good he is and this is a job. Once you've socked away enough for retirement, why keep coming in?

drayon

Post by drayon »

Faster1, that's probably the most self centred BS i've heard all year!! Your respect is grossly missplaced. Blame Carmelo Ezpeleta for destroying MotoGP with all the BS rules he's been constantly creating. 800cc, fuel limits, single tyre, testing ban, practice session time reductions, engine limits, CRT's. One f***up aftr another.

Massive respect to Stoner, family first and one finger up at Ezpeleta. Hope Rossi leaves MotoGP and Ducati and goes rallying. Ezpeleta can have his spanish cup.

Rusty Bucket USA

Post by Rusty Bucket USA »

I asked Dr. Krop if he's heard any rumblings from HRC. This seems like one of the worst scenarios for them... :shock:
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.

Rusty Bucket USA

Post by Rusty Bucket USA »

drayon wrote:Faster1, that's probably the most self centred BS i've heard all year!! Your respect is grossly missplaced. Blame Carmelo Ezpeleta for destroying MotoGP with all the BS rules he's been constantly creating. 800cc, fuel limits, single tyre, testing ban, practice session time reductions, engine limits, CRT's. One f***up aftr another.

Massive respect to Stoner, family first and one finger up at Ezpeleta. Hope Rossi leaves MotoGP and Ducati and goes rallying. Ezpeleta can have his spanish cup.
You're new here, so I'll cut you a little slack, but I'm leaving it up as a warning to everybody else:

We don't do flame wars, and nobody really cares who hopes Rossi leaves.

Most of that is not Ezpeleta's fault.
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.

JcM

Post by JcM »

Faster1 wrote:`What and unbelievably utter waste of talent. He probably has @ 5 more years at the top. Sorry but, personally, between the fishing vacation and this crap, I now have zero respect for him. Great talent thrown away at the prime of his career. His speed doesn't grow on trees
(Save the rebuttal all, I might be wrong in the eyes of a few and I know it's only a selfish fan-of-racing point of view, but It's the way I feel). Pissed beyond belief ! :evil:

BTW - Id feel the same way if Lorenzo quit this year too.
So he should ride even if he doesn't want to?

I understand how you feel, I am shocked that the fastest rider I have ever seen ride a bike (in my relatively short lifetime) is quitting so young. But it's his life and he doesn't owe 'the fans' anything. I wish him well.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

RatsMC wrote: He knows exactly how good he is and this is a job. Once you've socked away enough for retirement, why keep coming in?
Casey used to say it was about the RACING. He said as long as he was having fun he'd stay.

It seems odd that he already knows he wont be having fun next year? He sure looks like he is having fun this year.

alrova

Post by alrova »

GUTTED!!!!!!! I really can't believe this chit. I mean i know he said it but i am just gutted

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

"After a long time thinking, a lot of time talking with my family and my wife, this has been coming for a couple of years now but at the end of this 2012 season I will be not racing in the 2013 championship," said Stoner.

"I will be finishing my career at the end of this season in MotoGP, and go forward in different things in my life.

"After so many years of doing this sport which I love, and which myself and my family made so many sacrifices for, after so many years of trying to get to where we have gotten to at this point, this sport has changed a lot and it has changed to the point where I am not enjoying it. I don't have the passion for it and so at this time it's better if I retire now.

"There are a lot of things that have disappointed me, and also a lot of things I have loved about this sport, but unfortunately the balance has gone in the wrong direction. And so, basically, we won't be continuing any more.

"It would be nice if I could say I would stay one more year, but then where does it stop? So we decided to finish everything as we are now."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17052012/ ... ement.html

His dream was to get to HRC. He made it. Seems so odd to leave when its all just going so well. :(
Last edited by Squidpuppet on Thu May 17, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carty

Post by carty »

Genuinely gutted.

I think that's much more of a shame than if Vale left after this year, at least he has a long career behind him rather than in front of him.

That said, if I was a young millionaire with a beautiful young wife and child back at home, I would probably do the same. It's ubderstandable.

MPA

Post by MPA »

the MotoGP story says “There are a lot of things that have disappointed me, and also a lot of things I have loved about this sport, but unfortunately the balance has gone in the wrong direction. And so, basically, we won't be continuing any more. It would be nice if I could say I would stay one more year, but then where does it stop? So we decided to finish everything as we are now.”

Kinda reminds me of Barry Sanders - he got out at 30 and was well on his way to the rushing record, but his heart wasn;t in it - of course his situation was different - he was playing for the Lions who have a history of losing but had similar feelings as Casey - things will not improve (CRTs, upcoming RPM limits, etc) and lost his drive:

Several years after retirement, and repeated refusals to discuss the abruptness of it, Sanders finally admitted that the culture of losing in the Lions' organization was too much to deal with even though he said that he could still play. He explained that it robbed him of his competitive spirit, and he saw no reason to believe things were going to improve.

Gar

Post by Gar »

Stoner has made it crystal clear that he wasn't going to stay long - 5 years of winning in him or not, it was clear to anyone paying attention that he wouldn't be around long. That said, I don't think it was clear to anyone that he would retire this season!

I have to suspect that fatherhood is playing a large part, and the suddenness of Simoncelli's death has to be in more than one mind.

edit: Stoner said about 2 years ago that he was looking forward to the day that he could take his socks from a drawer rather than a suitcase, so I guess that he just moved the day up. I know that Honda was pushing for 2 year contract, maybe they refused a 1 year deal?
Support the Young Riders Fund
http://youngridersfund.org/

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

I wouldnt want to be Lin Jarvis or the Yamaha Purse Keepers right now. Jorges position at the table just got a big boost.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Sorry but, personally, between the fishing vacation and this crap, I now have zero respect for him. Great talent thrown away at the prime of his career.
Wow, those are some pretty strong words right there. Well perhaps the best way to think of it is as our loss and his gain.

I remember Spies saying about when he saw Stoner riding past him, and it scared him because he could not understand how anyone could ride like that.
Undoubtedly he will be remembered as one of the biggest natural talents, if not the biggest of this era, and married with his unbelievable level of self-determination and drive perhaps one of the fastest of all time.

But, what does that all mean if it isn't something he wants to do? Should he be like a gladiator, going from the chains of his holding cell to entertain us each week, crying out 'do I not entertain you'?

On a personal level I regret it a lot, and the future battles we will be denied between him and Lorenzo. For him, I can understand it - he's been on a bike and in and out of hotels and motorhomes since he became a teenager, and that life isn't for everyone. Now he has a wife and child, and reportedly this year and last was the first time he got the 'big bucks' from Honda. If he has enough money to retire into a nice house and comfortable with his wife, I can understand his decision even if I regret it.

corinthian

Post by corinthian »

Good on him, I feel like when a mate has just landed the job of his dreams overseas but it means I won't get to see him anymore. Above all else, good on him for giving reasons relating to the racing and saying that it wasn't about family, which I'll take at face value given his criticism of the way the sport is headed. For me his decision just confirms my view of Casey as the Gary Ablett of MotoGP, and I wish that there were more people in the public eye like this.

Stoner's retirement opens up the possibility of a two-Spaniard HRC squad for 2014, which I would never have picked, say, an hour ago.

MPA

Post by MPA »

Squidpuppet wrote:I wouldnt want to be Lin Jarvis or the Yamaha Purse Keepers right now. Jorges position at the table just got a big boost.
One thing that helps Yamaha is that Lorenzo has no problem keeping up with Pedrosa on the Honda. It would be interesting to see if Jorge could blitz the field on the Honda like Stoner has though so maybe they can snatch Lorenzo and keep Pedro for another year. It will definitely not be a dull silly season.

Gar

Post by Gar »

Just read this elsewhere, not confirmed:
And Nakamoto of HRC just told Neil Spalding he needs to talk to a few riders including Lorenzo and Rossi
If so, here it goes! Nearly the entire paddock is unsigned for next season.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

MPA wrote:
Squidpuppet wrote:I wouldnt want to be Lin Jarvis or the Yamaha Purse Keepers right now. Jorges position at the table just got a big boost.
One thing that helps Yamaha is that Lorenzo has no problem keeping up with Pedrosa on the Honda. It would be interesting to see if Jorge could blitz the field on the Honda like Stoner has though so maybe they can snatch Lorenzo and keep Pedro for another year. It will definitely not be a dull silly season.
HRC are in a one season pickle now. 2013 will see Marquez in a "satelite" team. In 2014 he can go to the Repsol squad. That part of Stoners retiement works for them. Casey just vacated his seat one year too early. What will HRC do for 2013? A temporary Band-aid, or will they see Jorge and abandon Marquez?

corinthian

Post by corinthian »

Squidpuppet wrote:HRC are in a one season pickle now. 2013 will see Marquez in a "satelite" team. In 2014 he can go to the Repsol squad. That part of Stoners retiement works for them. Casey just vacated his seat one year too early. What will HRC do for 2013? A temporary Band-aid, or will they see Jorge and abandon Marquez?
Or, as others are suggesting, will they now push harder for the abolishment of the rookie rule?

Gar

Post by Gar »

Squidpuppet wrote:
MPA wrote:
HRC are in a one season pickle now. 2013 will see Marquez in a "satelite" team. In 2014 he can go to the Repsol squad. That part of Stoners retiement works for them. Casey just vacated his seat one year too early. What will HRC do for 2013? A temporary Band-aid, or will they see Jorge and abandon Marquez?
While agree with that, will they keep Pedrosa? Honda has been pushing Ezpeleta to allow Marquez on the factory team next season, so one can only assume that they are not sold on Dani's championship winning abilities.