2012 Le Mans Race Topic **Spoilers**

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
drayon

Re: 2012 Le Mans Race Topic **Spoilers**

Post by drayon »

CIN wrote:He said that on Italian TV in the post race interview. Rain tyre degradation is pretty normal when the track is drying...
Wow, two completely opposite responses. May have been a translation miscommunication or Stoner decided to make it sound great for the Italian media.

No-one can say it was "boring".

CIN

Post by CIN »

drayon wrote:
CIN wrote:He said that on Italian TV in the post race interview. Rain tyre degradation is pretty normal when the track is drying...
May have been a translation miscommunication or Stoner decided to make it sound great for the Italian media.
Could probably be this.

Gar

Post by Gar »

Rossi's demeanor had already improved prior to Stoner announcing his retirement. He stated that at the previous round that he felt like a racer again, albeit a slow one.

As far as being faster in the rain, he stated that the Ducati front-end feels vague, but in the rain they are all vague (or something to that effect).
Support the Young Riders Fund
http://youngridersfund.org/

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yep. Rain does not always produce great racing.
Although it did today! :) I found all of them to be uncomfortable viewing though, the Moto3 in particular where every 10 seconds the camera seemed to be cutting to someone picking the bike up from the gravel.

Wonderful ride by Rossi (the younger), great for the French crowd and motorsports in that country. I admire Zarco going for it in the Moto2 and trying to accomplish the same in that class, doesn't that JiR bike of his look lovely? Feel very sorry for De Puniet in the GP - how do you surpass Toseland's home effort at Donington in '08 (who the circuit commentators were talking up to the point of him winning the race) who was spinning on his head by the first corner? Answer, don't even make it to the starting line :(

Great to see V. Rossi on the podium in the GP's, and I don't think anyone will begrudge him being there. I was holding my breath then he was passing Stoner, I'm sure I couldn't be the only one imagining Stoner to have more problems with the Ducati front end! :)

Lorenzo is rapidly turning into a machine, for me he has to be the 'Rafael Nadal' of bike racing at the moment. Beautiful ride, and suddenly made the fight for the championship a lot more interesting!

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

ducati1098s wrote:
DJH wrote:
tom wrote:Fantastic race by Lorenzo and bloody fantastic to see Rossi back fighting at the front. Such a shame with Casey leaving next year that there will be no opportunity to see a good 3-4 way battle between the 4 aliens for the championship.
Agreed.

Might be a good opportunity for the Rossi fair weather supporters (whom these days are bad weather supporters) to have something to smile about. Great result for Ducati, but that kind of heart and committment should be there in dry conditions as well imho. I understand the Duck works better in the wet, but there has been a lack of heart coming from that side of the garage for awhile now. Anyone would think there are top shelf seats available for next year or something...

So you think Rossi puts a hand out of the motorhome window and if it gets wet, decides it time to try? Idiotic comment.

Could it be that the bike performs better in wet conditions? I know I know....crazy idea
Could be that the others are riding a very unpredictable machine that feels like it want's to fall over all the time at a wet Le Mans, where-as Rossi is riding a very unpredictable machine that feels like it want's to fall over all the time, all season.

;) :lol:

That could possibly be the last shot of those three on the podium. :(

Question,

What happened to Barbera ? Something must have been wrong with his bike, as I didn't see him anywhere near Rossi all race. 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
2:02.443

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

Oscar wrote: ( I don't like 2-strokes - sorry, TSI..) .
Grounds for an immediate ban, I'd say. :P

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

tom wrote:Fantastic race by Lorenzo and bloody fantastic to see Rossi back fighting at the front. Such a shame with Casey leaving next year that there will be no opportunity to see a good 3-4 way battle between the 4 aliens for the championship.
The fans need to start hanging huge "Don't Retire Yet" banners around the track.

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

Why did Spies pull into the pits?

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Squidpuppet wrote:Why did Spies pull into the pits?
Vision problems. Visor steamed up, couldn't see.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

tz250w

Post by tz250w »

Kropotkin wrote:
Maybe he should have borrowed a lid from Dovi. Oh, wait...

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

How long will this sort of thing be allowed to continue before there is a major tragedy?
Soaking wet track, on the racing line and not even looking for approaching bikes!

My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

tom

Post by tom »

tz250w wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:
Maybe he should have borrowed a lid from Dovi. Oh, wait...
I think that comment is not appropriate. I'm quite sure Spies wouldn't have pulled into the pits to change helmets unless he couldn't manage or fix the problem on track by himself. Not all helmet fogging up occurs in the same part of the visor or cover the same sized area. I really dont get the kicking a man when he's down attitude some fans have. It happened to Casey and even Rossi is copping it a little now, what's the point of sticking the boot in to Spies? Its not as if he is deliberately having poor results :(

Rusty Bucket USA

Post by Rusty Bucket USA »

Spies problems can be summed up in 3 letters: HJC.
At least a couple of times every year, something goes wrong with his helmet and he suffers. Of course, they didn't make the bike almost snap out from under him at the start, but if you can't see after that, you ain't going forward.

Zaphod wrote:What happened to Barbera ? Something must have been wrong with his bike, as I didn't see him anywhere near Rossi all race.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.

yzr750

Post by yzr750 »

tom wrote: I think that comment is not appropriate. I'm quite sure Spies wouldn't have pulled into the pits to change helmets unless he couldn't manage or fix the problem on track by himself. Not all helmet fogging up occurs in the same part of the visor or cover the same sized area. I really dont get the kicking a man when he's down attitude some fans have. It happened to Casey and even Rossi is copping it a little now, what's the point of sticking the boot in to Spies? Its not as if he is deliberately having poor results :(
I wouldn't say it was kicking him when he is down, i took it as a joke?
Even when he got his helmet sorted he was so far off the pace it's not funny.
The fact is, in four races this season there has been four excuses, maybe you could accept a couple, but every race?

tom

Post by tom »

yzr750 wrote:
tom wrote: I think that comment is not appropriate. I'm quite sure Spies wouldn't have pulled into the pits to change helmets unless he couldn't manage or fix the problem on track by himself. Not all helmet fogging up occurs in the same part of the visor or cover the same sized area. I really dont get the kicking a man when he's down attitude some fans have. It happened to Casey and even Rossi is copping it a little now, what's the point of sticking the boot in to Spies? Its not as if he is deliberately having poor results :(
The fact is, in four races this season there has been four excuses, maybe you could accept a couple, but every race?

Maybe I took it the wrong way :oops: he defiantly has problems, over a second off the pace even without helmet problems, no argument there but I read into the comment well if Dovi can ride around then why not spies. I'm probably reading between the lines a bit to much. :oops:

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Squidpuppet wrote:
Grounds for an immediate ban, I'd say. :P
I second that! ;)

Anyway a very good week end of races with lots of action but apart from the Moto3 race were getting to the front meant going down it was also a display of very good riding in difficult conditions.
When Lorenzo took of that quick I though he would go down in the first five laps but he stayed on and rode a brilliant race in those conditions.
Nice to see Rossi back in the top and dishing it out to most of them in there. Both Cal and Dovi rode very well and it was a shame they couldnt stay on for the whole race. It was visible to see that Dovi had grip issues at the front it felt like he would go down before Cal.
A shame that Petrucci crashed as he raced really well - and I really dislike Ellison and PBM so that he was best CRT was bad. :lol:

tz250w

Post by tz250w »

tom wrote:
yzr750 wrote:

Maybe I took it the wrong way :oops: he defiantly has problems, over a second off the pace even without helmet problems, no argument there but I read into the comment well if Dovi can ride around then why not spies. I'm probably reading between the lines a bit to much. :oops:
Yes, you took it the wrong way. Perhaps you forgot Melandri borrowed one of Dovi's helmets in Shanghai a few years back and got in a bit of trouble over it... Wasn't kicking Ben. I was having a bit of fun at his helmet manufacturer's expense.

tz250w

Post by tz250w »

WayneG wrote:How long will this sort of thing be allowed to continue before there is a major tragedy?
Soaking wet track, on the racing line and not even looking for approaching bikes!
Yes, I was cringing through that myself. However, the marshal did look back several times, obviously not very comfortable with all those bikes buzzing by them a few meters away. Without forcefully pulling Maverick off the bike though, there wasn't much he could do until Maverick decided himself he wasn't going to get it started.

There should have been another marshal right behind them though with two yellow flags doing a break dance.

carty

Post by carty »

tz250w wrote:
WayneG wrote:How long will this sort of thing be allowed to continue before there is a major tragedy?
Yes, I was cringing through that myself. However, the marshal did look back several times, obviously not very comfortable with all those bikes buzzing by them a few meters away. Without forcefully pulling Maverick off the bike though, there wasn't much he could do until Maverick decided himself he wasn't going to get it started.

There should have been another marshal right behind them though with two yellow flags doing a break dance.
Yep I clocked that moment as well and thought it was very dangerous- they could have both been taken out at any time.

I also notice more and more the practise of riders doing everything they can when they go down to stay with the bike and hold on to the clutch lever to keep the engine running. This also looks very dangerous as several riders yesterday got tangled up and had potential to injure themselves more than if they'd just let go. It would be better if the bikes had some sort of one time re-start button (I accept the problem of there being no battery but there has to be a way?) as soon someone is going to get seriously injured for trying to keep their bike running.

Am I being over protective? Anyone else think similar?

Cheers,
Matt

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

The Moto3 bikes make it worse, they're a pig to bump start. Really need a kickstarter fitted to them.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

tz250w

Post by tz250w »

Kropotkin wrote:
The Moto3 bikes make it worse, they're a pig to bump start. Really need a kickstarter fitted to them.
Yea, the early 250 four stroke MX'rs (well, early as in this latest reincarnation) required several religious rituals, including voodoo and sheep sacrifice to get started even with a kickstarter. As highly tweaked as these Moto3 bikes are, they almost necessitate some form of auxiliary starter. Perhaps the few extra kilos should be added just for safety purposes, rider and marshals.
Last edited by tz250w on Mon May 21, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sloth27

Post by Sloth27 »

Kropotkin wrote:
Race direction should really be giving riders a dressing down for this sort of thing. Fair enough that they want to get going quickly but that'll be cold comfort if you get cleaned up trying to bump start a bike on the racing line.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Kropotkin wrote:
Yet another reason why two strokes are superior. ;)

wise_mumu

Post by wise_mumu »

Maybe the rules should cater for some sort of KERS systems, which could double as a starter... Given how obsessed the rules are in the number of liters of fuel allowed :D

I know, I know... not to be taken seriously

tom

2012 Le Mans Race Topic **Spoilers**

Post by tom »

tz I must have taken the blue pills this morning instead of the red. Sorry.