Round 13: CryptoDATA Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich (AKA 'Austria')

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 13: CryptoDATA Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich (AKA 'Austria')

Post by Fingernails »

Last years race was won by Brad Binder after his managing to stay upright on slicks during the very wet finish to the race. His only podium of the whole year. Unless something unpredictable happens, it appears very unlikely that KTM will figure in the podium fight.

Looking at performance, Ducatis were strong in qualifying and the race, with Quartarao being strong in qualifying but not so much in the race. He only just beat Rossi.

Due to the weather conditions last year the results may not tell us much. But, it certainly looks plausible that Pecco could have another good qualifying and race, closing up the championship a bit further. Last year it could be argued that Austria is where Pecco started his very strong end to the season (though it could also be argued that started at Aragon.)

Apical

Re: Round 13: Grand Prix von Österreich "NEW" 'Austria'

Post by Apical »

It's been neutered! There is now, apparently, a chicane after turn one.
https://photos.motogp.com/2022/track/au ... 1660028992

So previous results not necessarily indicative of future outcomes.

Weather forecast suggest mixed conditions Friday, fine on Saturday. Dry & sunny on Sunday, good.

Going by recent form, one race in the last seven weeks! Fabio Q, Aleix E, plus anyone on a Ducati, would be my guess. Maybe even Maverick will have a good weekend.

I hope the mickey mouse chicane doesn't cause to many unintended problems.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Re: Round 13: CryptoDATA Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich (AKA 'Austria')

Post by Mikesbytes »

The chicane is for the motorbikes only, the cars will continue to go straight. So it seems its being put in for motorcycle safety rather than for F1 or the like
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I noticed that the commentators described Austria as a 'Ducati track' at the end of the Silverstone coverage.They may have considered the changes due to the chicane, or they may not have.

I also wonder if any Honda riders will feature more in the race this time. In the short highlights of Silverstone which are all that I have seen no Honda rider is featured on the screen, not mentioned even once during the race. I watched them over looking for Hondas and I saw some during the mass shots at the start. And then ... nothing.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

In FP2, the firrst eight riders are seven Ducatis and Fabio Quartarao. I wonder if this is telling us something.

Marquez will be in the paddock this week, but not racing.

In Moto2, I see that Pedro Acosta is back, but way down the order so far. Augusto Fernandez in 3rd is not a bad place to be at this stage. Ogura is second fastest, but I suspect that Fernandez will be ahead come qualifying. Note the word 'suspect'.

In Moto3, it's only FP2 of course. But, Dennis Foggi was fastest and those leading the championship quite a bit slower.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

After qualifying the track is still a Ducati track.

Great first pole for Bastianini. But, I suspect that Bagnaia will have an easy time tomorrow. Both Bastianini and Martin are hoping for a Ducati factory seat next year and it's probably more important for them that they beat their rivals for the open seat than win the race. Ticking off the Ducati factory team will not be a good strategy.

Quartararo's 5th place is probably quite good for how good a bike the Yamaha is, but he may have at least two riders ahead of him who will play rear gunner for Bagainaia. And, of course, the Suzukis and Aprillias will chase Quartararo if they can. I predict that Bagnaia will win tomorrow, and the biggest question will be the points gap to Quartararo.

In Moto2 at least all the championship hopefuls are near the front, and it's great to see Ogura get pole. My overall money will still be on Fernandez for the race, but we'll see. Great result for Acosta after coming back from injury and it's great to see Chantra's fast again. I predict a very competitive race tomorrow.

In Moto3, great to see Holgado making a name for himself. Foggia is a bit ahead of the championship leaders, but not enough so that won't be moot by the end of the first lap.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Those were three interesting races.

In Moto3, how did Sasaki do that? I only watched a highlights of Moto3, and I saw him at the front, I saw him take the first long lap penalty and drop down the order, and then take the second long lap penalty and drop well out of the points. I noticed that he got a couple of fastest laps through onscreen graphics, but just assumed that demonstrated he had the speed but it wouldn't be enough. Then suddenly I notice he's in sixth place and pretty much in the leading group. Even when he hit the front I assumed that he must have taken life out of his tyres, but no. What a win! Garcia beat out Guevara, and Foggia faded throughout the race.

I thought Moto2 was going to be closer than it was. The Honda Team Asia riders had the speed. I'm not sure if Vietti fell off because he was trying to match their pace and couldn't, or if he was just momentarily wrong-footed behind Chantra. (I suspect the latter is more likely). In any case, once Vietti was out, it was going to be a HTA win, and Ogura had it. Jake Dixon is continuing to podium, and is achieving consistency.

MotoGP - I didn't really see Bagnaia challenged that seriously. Miller gave it a go but this wasn't an epic battle. Rider of the race for me was Quartararo. 2nd place here is damage limitation and with the points margin he has, I think advantage Quartararo. Bagnaia needs more than five points a race if he's going to win the championship.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Championship wise that was a good race for Quartararo as he only gave away 5 points to Bagnaia who is still quite far away but gained 10 points over A Esparago. Still 7 races to go so anything can happen

Did Quartararo running a hard front help in with the Ducati's who were mainly running soft fronts?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Didn't see it on the live footage, don't think it was shown but Mir's highside was GIGANTIC :o

Get well soon Joan

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've only seen the latter part of Mir's high-side. He looked like he was OK after it. Moving normally if a bit tentatively (not surprising). But, bone and ligament damage. Motorcycle racing remains a dangerous sport.

Sylvain Guintoli has a hand injury. Will he ride injured, or will someone else ride the bike? (I hope someone will). If so, who? It would be dramatic to give Pedro Acosta a ride, and with Suzuki leaving MotoGP there's less competitive motivation to not give KTM a bit of a boost. (Not sure that it's a good idea to give Acosta a guest appearance, but it would likely generate some more news headlines than giving Guintoli the ride.
Mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:44 pm
Did Quartararo running a hard front help in with the Ducati's who were mainly running soft fronts?
Difficult to say. Quartararo seemed to become more competitive near the end, but it's entirely possible that Bagnaia was managing it. Compared to other Ducati riders however, it looks as if FQ's strategy was sound.