Is the Ducati now the best bike?

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Is the Ducati now the best bike?

Post by Fingernails »

Sure looks it to me. Things can change from this season to next, of course. But, the Ducati looks to be the bike to be on right now.

bikermike

Re: Is the Ducati now the best bike?

Post by bikermike »

Given how tight the margins are, I wonder how much this is a result of the races being held later in the season?
Also, Quatarado has got the crown, marquez isn't riding, so you lose two bikes that would be further to the pointy end in other circumstances. Ducati is the company with most to gain from a strong end of season.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I think it has been since 2017, but Marquez was at the very top of his form and prevented their titles.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

They won the teams competition so that's a predictor as to the quality of the bike but it could also be the quality of the riders and the quality of the team. Manufacturer title is a bit harder to judge as the number of factory supported bikes on the grid varies between manufacturers
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Miller is talking about the possibility of dominating in 2022.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/99379 ... oo-exhaust

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:58 pm
Miller is talking about the possibility of dominating in 2022.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/99379 ... oo-exhaust
Miller needs to be at the top early in the season to secure a contract for 2023 which is well on the cards if the new bike is working well for him

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 am
Miller needs to be at the top early in the season to secure a contract for 2023 which is well on the cards if the new bike is working well for him
I predict that now that Bagnaia has more experience under his belt and more confidence after his wins, that Miller will have his work cut out for him next year. Though, I can see Miller making a very good No. 2.

If Miller proves me wrong, I'd be happy to see it. But, I think that Bagnaia is the best chance for a Ducati championship next year.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Thanks for not picking the Queenslander Fingernails.

Seems the bike in the subject line is the best or very near. Definitely better than Yamaha or Honda, in my opinion.
Better than the KTM & the Aprilia. Is the GP21 better than the Suzuki? Probably, results suggest Ducati overall.
Mir scored more than double what Alex Rins managed, mostly rider issues with Suzi. The bike is good. But not good enough to win this year. No wins in 2021. Last year's champ third with one less win & More points than last season!

Alex Rins may be the new Kevin Schwantz; fast but falls to often. Crashed out of more podium positions than anyone.

There was a Duc on every podium except Mugello, Sachsenring, Assen & Silverstone.

I would say Yes! Ducatis are the best. Must admit some prejudice, but I do own a Honda & a Yamaha as well.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

I don't know about best bike... but with their top speed advantage it makes it VERY hard for the other bikes... can't get close enough down the straight to make a pass and then in the corners, they can't get by because there's a Ducati in the way.

Doesn't mean they're always faster over a full lap, but in a race situation, they're formidable. We know a bike can't be best at everything, they have to compromise... have Ducati found the best compromise? I think they possibly have at this moment in time.

They can negate the strength of their rivals (if they're in front of them at least), but their rivals can't negate their strength.

That's my opinion anyway :P

Rick650

Post by Rick650 »

It will be interesting to see how fast the new Honda is out of corners and in top end if they get decent rear traction on it.
Is there any reason why a pneumatic valve motor can't be as strong as a desmo one?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Bastianini has now ridden the GP21 he will be riding next year. He says that the GP21 is a softer machine much more friendly to rookies, compared to the GP19 he was riding this year.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/99391 ... ly-rookies

However, this has made me wonder if, given that Bastianini appears to have mastered the GP19, whether the GP21 will actually be that much faster for him. As removing the learning curve isn't going to benefit him. I'm thinking of Casey Stoner and Marc Marquez riding bikes that others found difficult to ride fast. And how it's sometimes said that a bike that's on the edge all the time will be faster for those who can master riding it than a more user-friendly bike.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Does that make it 5 GP22's and 3 GP21's for 2022?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:46 am
And in 2023 all the MotoE bikes will be Ducatis as well.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:41 pm
Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:46 am
And in 2023 all the MotoE bikes will be Ducatis as well.
Hadn't spotted that one. From what I gather from the following article the Electric Ducati's will be purpose built for racing, where the Energica bikes are pretty much production bikes.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/2023-motoe-ducati/

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Fingernails wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:43 pm
I predict that now that Bagnaia has more experience under his belt and more confidence after his wins, that Miller will have his work cut out for him next year. Though, I can see Miller making a very good No. 2.

If Miller proves me wrong, I'd be happy to see it. But, I think that Bagnaia is the best chance for a Ducati championship next year.
Miller is now tipping Bagnaia for the championship next year.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/99433 ... togp-title