Round 17 - Grande Prémio do Algarve - Portugal

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 17 - Grande Prémio do Algarve - Portugal

Post by Fingernails »

Looking back in the past, the most recent race at this track was the Portuguese GP earlier in the year. The results for that race were 1. Quartararo 2. Bagnaia 3. Mir. We could be on for a post-championship fight between Quartararo and Bagnaia, though I expect that Marc Marquez will feature in this race.

In Moto3, Acosta won in Portugal. However, Foggia was 2nd which was his only points finish in the first five races. I suspect that what we'll see in Moto3 will be more influenced by the changing balance of power between these two.

In Moto2, Portugal was Raoul Fernandez's first win of the year (and first win in Moto2 as he is a rookie). I predict that R. Fernandez will beat Gardner here, and the question will be how many points Gardner loses, and the points difference going into the last round.

Mikesbytes

Re: Round 17 - Grande Prémio do Algarve - Portugal

Post by Mikesbytes »

In MotoGP Marquez is looking strong, with great results over the last 4 races. With the pressure off for the world championship we will see a free for all race
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I see on Twitter that on Rossi's page there is two tweets with pictures of him with the crowd at Misano after the race. The English wording on the tweet says " that's all folks."

Is it just me or could that mean he's not gonna race in the last two events?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It's possible, but I suspect he is saying goodbye to the Italian fans and will be at the last two races.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Getting close to the end of the racing season. Portimão then Valencia & Mandalika SBK then it's all over in 12 days time.

Moto2 and SBK championships still to be decided.

I would say I am hoping Remy Gardner and Toprak will win. But don't want to jinx them.

I had seriously considered going to Indonesia for the Mandalika round, but that isn't happening for me.
Aussies are now allowed to visit Bali. Not sure about Lombok. Maybe next year.

It is going to be a long off season.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

M Marquez is out, got a mild concussion in a training accident. Honda haven't announced if Bradl will ride instead

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Unwell for several days after a "mild concussion" (crash.net).

That doesn't sound right. Hope it's nothing sinister.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I would think that it's just a mild concussion as described.

But, I think that the question of whether M Marquez may finish his career by growing old or smashing himself up a bit too much a bit too often may be in the process of being answered.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Bradl confirmed as replacement rider

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

In FP2 for Moto3, Pedro Acosta is in 4th place. I was wondering if I would find him down in 20th place or thereabouts again. Due to more experience of the track? If he can keep this up, then he has a shot at preserving his advantage in the championship. So far he's doing well in FP3, but that's not finished yet.

Results are only up to FP2 so far, but in MotoGP why is Morbidelli so far behind Quartararo?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:25 am
In FP2 for Moto3, Pedro Acosta is in 4th place. I was wondering if I would find him down in 20th place or thereabouts again. Due to more experience of the track? If he can keep this up, then he has a shot at preserving his advantage in the championship. So far he's doing well in FP3, but that's not finished yet.

Results are only up to FP2 so far, but in MotoGP why is Morbidelli so far behind Quartararo?
Part of the answer is that in FP2 Quartararo improved 0.8 on his hot lap with new tyres (Medium/Soft) where Morbidelli only improved 0.4 on his hot lap with new tyres (Soft/Soft). As for the other 0.4 Morbidelli is behind Quartararo there's probably a number of reasons

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Switching teams comes with new crews new techs.

When watching Franco at Petronas he always gives strong fist bumps each time he goes out. Can tell it means something to him. Small group positive energy. Ive felt Tech3 provided same in past compared to the factory where it was colder business like environment. Similarly other talents have had rough transitions making that step under similar shoe in replacement circumstances.

I haven’t been paying attention to see if he’s had that same level of visible gelling with his crew each time goes out or not. Body language can sometimes speak voulmes.

We also now see the whole musical chairs with crew chief thing unfolding. No longer having Ramon Forcada is huge. Dropping into garage that had been more a revolving door has got to factor. It has also been a forgettable year for Franco. So to be as close as he is right now and improving is a good sign.

Building an repore takes time and now with new crew chief already planned for next year going to be important to start that process early.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Thanks for the discussion on Morbidelli.

Interesting to see that Acosta finishes 7th on combined times. At least he's well into the straight to Q2 group. Foggia is faster, however, and McPhee seems on it.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

4 Ducati's in the front 2 rows

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Great race by Bagnaia. Nothing really dramatic at the front, but he simply did everything he needed to do and apart from Mir hanging on reasonably well, it never looked as if he would be beaten.

After losing his lead bit by bit for so long, finally Acosta comes up with the proper championship winning ride in Moto3. Great to see a 17 year old rookie champion. Looking forward to seeing his career continue. Foggia did what he could, but Acosta was simply the better rider on the day. I wonder what's making Acosta blow hot and cold to this degree. I wonder if it is a matter which tracks he has knowledge of.

EDIT: Great ride by Gardner in Moto2. He hasn't quite sealed the championship yet, but with a 23 point advantage this race has clearly made it very very likely with only a win/no-score able to upset this. Good ride by Sam Lowes to third.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Australia is now permitting people to leave the country without having to apply with a valid reason. Casey Stoner took advantage of this and turned up to this race. This is his interview

https://youtu.be/dMSR1mXR0QY