Round 15 - Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas - Circuit of the Americas

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 15 - Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas - Circuit of the Americas

Post by Fingernails »

And we head slowly towards the end of the season. There was no USA race in 2020, so our most recent outing at COTA was in 2019. In that year, Rins won with Rossi scoring a second place - a result that he hasn't beaten since then. I can't see Rossi challenging for another podium unless something very weird happens. Rins winning - it's possible but again unlikely.

Our championship protagonists Quartararo and Bagnaia were far less experienced then, and I don't think Bagnaia finishing four seconds and two places behind Quartararo means much by now.

So, no predictions from me. Roll on FP1.

Mikesbytes

Re: Round 15 - Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas - Circuit of the Americas

Post by Mikesbytes »

Miller was also on the podium but 8 seconds back. The 2019 results don't give a clear indication of particular bikes having an advantage at this circuit.

I'm predicting a shootout between Quartararo and Bagnaia too
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Didn't Marquez fall out of a comfortable lead in 2019?

jimv

Post by jimv »

Yes, MM had the race in hand and fell with Rossi inheriting the lead and Rins promoted to 2nd. Rins was obviously faster though and eventually found a way past.

MM's fall turned out to be an issue the engine braking control not quite setup for the new Michelin rear tire

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'll go for M Marquez for the win, followed by a scrap between Quartararo, Bagnaia and Miller

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

#93 can win , as long as #20 comes in second (with the points to go with it)...

Go Yamaha ! :lol: :lol:

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Aprilia aren't known for treating their riders well but fair play to their unconditional support for Vinales. Best wishes to him and the family

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Yes, good on Aprilia for this. It's very sad about Dean Berta Vinales. I've seen several worrying accidents in various races recently where riders were left on the track as other riders avoided them.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Vinales is probably attending the funeral this weekend but even if he isn't, its respectful for him to take the weekend off

CLX

Post by CLX »

Is the circuit over a swamp or something? Wasn’t it reaurfaced recently?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

CLX wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:41 am
Is the circuit over a swamp or something? Wasn’t it reaurfaced recently?
Yes it was built on a flood plain which is why it was never developed commercial or residential. If I have time I’ll dig up some original articles on the zoning approvals to put the money (much of it tax payer money) onto a spot that said think twice about it.

That said it took a lot of wrangling to get this track built and I’m happy it’s here. It’s still not bad relative to some others around the area where track knowledge of bumps is what we talk about in the pits.. Texas riders use to go to world championships and say I never knew asphalt could be this smooth.. so it’s also relative to a certain degree ;)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Well, we finally have times that mean something after FP3.

It does look like the Honda is going well here with Nakagami in second, Marquez in fourth, and P.Espargaro also in the top 10. Alex Marquez however ... 18th. This is his second season, and he's had some time to adapt. There are occasional flashes of speed, but M.Marquez's claims that Alex was the better rider are ... not consistent with what we see.

Miller has quite a margin at the top. Free practice often deceives, but after FP3, that margin probably means something by now.

Despite what I said before, it seems that Quartararo and Bagnaia are more or less where they were in the 2019 race. Both in the upper midfield with Bagnaia a few places behind Quartararo. Qualifying and race still to come, of course.

In Moto2 I haven't see the FP3 results yet (has it happened). But in FP2, Raoul Fernandez and Remy Gardner are in their customary 1-2 position with Fernandez very slightly ahead and a reasonble margin to Lowes in third.

In Moto3, Acosta has managed to get straight through to Q2. Still a fair way down on his championship rivals. But, once the slipstreaming shuffle starts, if he's starting in 9th or 10th that's not really going to make a difference.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

We have seen this several times, a rider is about the top of the timesheets all the way thru practice and then bombs in qualifying blaming a tyre, this time its Miller.

hdot

Post by hdot »

As an American I am embarrassed with the condition of this track. I don't think I'm gonna watch tomorrow's race and frankly I hope the riders boycott. It's amazing and tragic that the US cannot build a race track worthy of grand prix motorcycle racing.

atropos

Post by atropos »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:57 am
We have seen this several times, a rider is about the top of the timesheets all the way thru practice and then bombs in qualifying blaming a tyre, this time its Miller.
Miller is pretty good about admitting fault when he stuffs up, so if he is blaming the tyre I reckon there is no need to doubt him.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

atropos wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:45 am
Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:57 am
Miller is pretty good about admitting fault when he stuffs up, so if he is blaming the tyre I reckon there is no need to doubt him.
I'm thinking that there is a problem with the tyres, whether its consistency or something else I don't know. I do wonder if its to do with getting the right amount of heat in them or even the speed that heat gets into them, Michelin has a track record for building tyres that have tight tolerance's, I don't know?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

hdot wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:22 am
As an American I am embarrassed with the condition of this track. I don't think I'm gonna watch tomorrow's race and frankly I hope the riders boycott. It's amazing and tragic that the US cannot build a race track worthy of grand prix motorcycle racing.
I like Laguna Seca, have you been there?

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Beautiful day for some racing ;)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Interesting to see the two championship protagonists 1-2 on the grid. If they finished Bagnaia 1 - Quartararo 2 that would be advantage Quartararo.

I'm sure MM93 will feature strongly in the race.

I'm expecting a lot of falls today. It could easily be that the race is decided that way.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

KTM brought the eye candy. I found sure way to get the attention of the staff was some close ups :)

Especially when putting the camera behind the fairings for a good look at those front spars and sling low engine mount. Interesting was a round pipe at the upper junction which showed signs for adjustability like an upper knuckle.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Nice, cheers.

After all these years, I had a massive 'eureka' moment.

COTA would be better if it ran backwards and skipped from what currently is turn 15 to turn 12. For cars, the esses and whole back section does nothing but spread the field apart and make it more difficult to stay within DRS distance. For bikes, what is now turn 1 would be a much better overtaking spot compared to turn 20 and make last lap lunges a lot more viable.

Ain't ever gonna happen. Too bad.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Last edited by kenup283 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CLX

Post by CLX »

that was sickening...

-----