Stoner to Honda. JB's opinion. (MCN scan)

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Albert

Stoner to Honda. JB's opinion. (MCN scan)

Post by Albert »

For those who think that JB may move to Honda and work with Casey here's a reason why not!
(Courtesy of last weeks issue of MCN)

Casey has a history of turning sour on those who criticise him (Schwantz etc) and who can blame him for that?
Once he's read the above then he'll not want a lot to do with JB -- unless it's a foil of course! (which I doubt!)
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

Squidpuppet

Re: Stoner to Honda. JB's opinion. (MCN scan)

Post by Squidpuppet »

Albert wrote:For those who think that JB may move to Honda and work with Casey here's a reason why not!
(Courtesy of last weeks issue of MCN)

Casey has a history of turning sour on those who criticise him (Schwantz etc) and who can blame him for that?
Once he's read the above then he'll not want a lot to do with JB -- unless it's a foil of course! (which I doubt!)
And from his own countryman, I can imagine it may sting even more.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Nothing JB said there puts him apart from any fanboy on any forum.
"Casey doesn't have it"
"He's on Honda's payroll already"
"Honda haven't got the right horse"

Are we sure he actually wrote that?

I wonder if his right horse is Rossi or Lorenzo nowadays.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Noyes told me in an email that JB was not interested in working with Stoner. I think there may be a little bad blood there. I spoke to JB at Jerez for a story I wrote for Road Racer X magazine, and he was fairly dismissive of Stoner's racecraft.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Albert

Post by Albert »

CLX wrote: Are we sure he actually wrote that?
Come on - get real!
Bearing in mind how much JB could sue MCN for if those weren't his words I think you can safely say that they most certainly are
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

phoenix1

Post by phoenix1 »

Thanks for the scan.

Stoner will prove JB wrong. Stoner may not have much racecraft or diplomatic skill, but he knows how to wring every last bit of performance from a bike. JB is quick to criticize, but if they had no implemented the engine reliability rules for this season, we'd have had Stoner at the top of a very short list of possible world championship contenders for 2010. If not for the Valencia mishap, Stoner would have scored three on the bounce, and he would have had all of the momentum going into 2010.

He will fly on the RC212V. I just hope Honda can get the rumored fuel consumption issues sorted.

Richo

Post by Richo »

I actually believe Stoner will do well on the Honda as well. JB isn't quite as straight a shooter as Stoner is when interviewed and it can be hard to get real facts out of him, maybe he should enter politics when he retires (hes a live wire compered to some pollies :lol: )

I also think Honda is bouncing back after a few bad years. They have struggled since Rossi left, but I really think they are starting to get serious and are desparate to win a world title again. The performance of Pedrosa and Dovi has been pretty consistant this year on an improving bike. They have just been eclipsed by the brilliance of Lorenzo.

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Have yet to see any puffs of smoke from the Honda's. Maybe JB's annoyed at getting a redunancy.
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Actually, I don't find a lot in that piece that would cause Stoner too much loss of sleep - he's not been completely happy with his own performances this year until the last two races, I think. He's obviously also been frustrated with the bike and somewhat with the tyres - both things that are, looked at objectively, not wildly unreasonable nor unique to him.

JB is, in the main, simply saying what he observes, and of course he has the perspective of having worked for nearly a decade with the absolute master of understanding how to minimise the failings and maximise the strengths of the bike he is on. I actually think it is fair comment that Stoner has not always had the racecraft to moderate his instinct that he can find a way to ride past the bike's limitations to improve his finishes, though not finding a way appears to be somewhat new territory this year for him. I do also believe that he showed considerable racecraft rather than just sheer riding ability at the Bagelwurst, and that's not just for the last corner pass on Rossi but the whole bit of accepting that third was best he was going to get and fighting for that when it counted.

JB's comments are very different from Schwantz's - Schwantz made a fairly unpleasant assertion about Stoner's character with absolutely no regard for even what evidence of physical ailment had been obvious to everybody, and yes, I'd also get severely umbraged in that situation. I doubt he'll enjoy JB's comments, but I think that in the main he'd respect them.
Road rash is nature's way of telling you you should have widened your entry

CLX

Post by CLX »

Albert wrote:
CLX wrote: Are we sure he actually wrote that?
Come on - get real!
Bearing in mind how much JB could sue MCN for if those weren't his words I think you can safely say that they most certainly are

That was rethorical. ;)
And I dare some ask JB whether the right horse nowadays is Rossi or Lorenzo.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

That IS a shocker. I really thought that JB was going to Honda, 'cuz it didn't sound like he was going with Rossi. Now, since Spies has his lifetime crew cheif,, my money is on Jeremy retiring. But JB burning bridges(?) is a shock,, Maybe someone stuck a recorder in his face after a few pints,, :shock:

On his opinion,, I have knocked Stoner for giving up on this season a few times now, but I think that his "cruise/preserve" mode is intentional and he'll turn it back on next year. He is my early pick for Champion next year,,, The Honda is a few tweaks away from dominating and next year no one (Yamaha and Ducati) will re-invent the wheel for the swan-song tour of the 800's..

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

Oscar wrote:Actually, I don't find a lot in that piece that would cause Stoner too much loss of sleep -
I dont know about that Oscar. Jb is pretty plainly accusing Stoner of just cruisng around "following" Dani. Saying he looks like he is already on Hondas payroll is pretty inflamatory too.

Maybe I just read it differently, but true or not, those jabs seem to be pretty damn pointy.

My 2 cents

deckard

Post by deckard »

It sounds to me that JB is using psy-ops for next year already. On behalf of who though..

phil

Post by phil »

But Wayne Gardner was also in a MCN article recently ('Rossi goes to Ducati' edition) saying HRC should employ Stoner, so maybe it is JB psy-op'ing on his young countryman??

deckard

Post by deckard »

phil wrote:But Wayne Gardner was also in a MCN article recently ('Rossi goes to Ducati' edition) saying HRC should employ Stoner, so maybe it is JB psy-op'ing on his young countryman??
Based on this article I'd guess that JB is not going to Honda. That leaves:

1) Crew chief for Spies
2) Overarching role at Yamaha
3) Retirement
4) Crew chief for Rossi at Ducati

In only one of those scenarios do I really see JB playing psy-ops for 2012 already, and that would be for 'his' rider.

TwoStroke Institute

Fans get a bit to excited about comments like this, as for psy-ops to have any effect the intended target would have to almost choke on their weeties reading the said article over brekky. Not many MotoGP riders read MCN people would obviously like to think they do but they don't.

phil

Post by phil »

TwoStroke Institute wrote:Not many MotoGP riders read MCN people would obviously like to think they do but they don't.
Agreed, however, sh@t-stirring headline-inventing lower end journalists would probably like to quote such sources hoping to get a scoop on Stoners first emotion off-the-cuff reaction don't you think?

Richo

Post by Richo »

Heres my tip for next year... Stoner to win the championship, thus giving him the first and last championships of the 800cc era. 8-)

motomania

Post by motomania »

Me thinks that JB has probably learned a bit about PR jabs from his partner for the last decade. :shock:
"I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the required equipment." - Me

jihem

Post by jihem »

I actually thinks JB is behaving here more like a father figure with Casey, and he tells him to up his game more than putting him down and denying him any chances. I do agree with him (lol) that Casey isn't giving as much as he could, but would he do that he'll probably end up in the gravel: that's unfortunately all there is in the GP10 if you want to keep it both wheels on the ground and Casey doesn't want to get hurt no more.

I think Rossi and JB are like two fingers of the same hand, and Rossi's dislike (a harsh word, i would say something like: a distant dedain) of Pedrosa obviously has an effect on JB, who puts Dani down all of the same.

But if anyone on this planet know about Rossi's plans in the details, that must be Uccio and JB. While Uccio barely speaks, JB does so everything he says has to be taken in the light of what Rossi is about to do or say, so this is obviously just another mind game.

TwoStroke Institute

phil wrote:
TwoStroke Institute wrote:Not many MotoGP riders read MCN people would obviously like to think they do but they don't.
Agreed, however, sh@t-stirring headline-inventing lower end journalists would probably like to quote such sources hoping to get a scoop on Stoners first emotion off-the-cuff reaction don't you think?

Anyone trained in PR can spot the 'have you stopped beating your wife up' style loaded questions and would be diffused easily. Someone who was quick witted could spin that round and embarrass a headline only journo in front of an audience of their peers.

Malecky

Post by Malecky »

jihem: Rossi likes Pedrosa, he was always happy to congratulate him or be with him on the podium and so on....I think they get a long GREAT!

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Malecky, I can't find any evidence to support that. The best I can conclude is that Rossi is indifferent to Pedrosa. Aside from early dealings with Biaggi, Rossi is always gracious on the podium so that isn't a good indicator of his actual feelings.

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

Rossi hates anyone who is a threat to his crown,, or is getting the attention. For the last 2 years that would be Lorenzo. If Lorenzo never finished higher then 3rd or 4th place, they would be buds ;) (at least Rossi wouldn't dislike or disrespect him as much), and they would still be on the same team next year. When Stoner was champion, Rossi wasn't exactly cordial. (even after Stoner's winning t-shirt paid homage). Pedrosa is no longer viewed as a threat and he never want's the attention, so I agree with Malecky,, out of the three other aliens, Pedrosa would probably get the first dinner invitation. Also,, any enemy of Lorenzo is a friend of Dani's :lol: :lol:

And next year, as long as Hayden doesn't crowd the podium, he and Rossi will be drinking buddys,,,

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

I don't believe that Rossi has a serious dislike of Pedrosa but I'm not seeing any signs of anything more than indifference. Does he like him more than the other aliens? Probably but that isn't the same as actually liking him.