Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

Re: Silly Season

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:17 pm
It seems that VR46 is claiming that Aramco will be a sponsor, but Aramco is saying that they will not be.

Sounds rather confusing...

This article says that Rossi may need to race in 2022 to make sure that the team can find sponsorship. https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/p ... m/6630282/
Bit of mess and it shows the power of the Rossi brand that it has the potential to bring in stacks of money even if he's at the back of the grid
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

That's interesting, I'll have to have a listen to the Podcast to find out the detail.

Just a complete speculation on my part, but one of the Saudis did want Rossi riding (he hadn't sounded keen). I wonder if that's their condition for the sponsorship?

In any case I can't imagine Rossi struggling to find a replacement if it falls through. I mean if he can't manage to get any for the team, then the sport is in serious trouble.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Just watching WSBK and hope, for the sake of that series, that there is SOME truth to the rumours about Rea going to Petronas! :D

Christ big fish in a small pond doesn't cover the half of it..

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 am
Just watching WSBK and hope, for the sake of that series, that there is SOME truth to the rumours about Rea going to Petronas! :D

Rea will be 35 next year, if he's going to do something great in MotoGP he has to join for 2022 or forget it

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:15 am
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 am

Rea will be 35 next year, if he's going to do something great in MotoGP he has to join for 2022 or forget it
Rea has stated that he is not interested in going to MotoGP and will be staying in WSBK.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes he did until this year, although a couple of quotes this year seem to contradict that.

At Assen he said "never say never" when asked about the prospect of going to GPs (this despite signing another contract with Kawasaki), following this up by saying he feels like he has never been riding better and it wouldn't be a capability issue.

Then he made a Twitter post last week linked to a Youtube video called 'to be or to GP'? Showed how many questions Rea was getting about Petronas/GP plans (loads of them). He was very coy with his reactions to it and said he hasn't been approached, although this could be one way of putting feelers out?

From Yamaha's perspective, in all honesty who else would you sign for that Petronas seat at this point, especially if they take a 'chance' with a younger rider alongside him?

If I had to make a guess I would say Rea probably recognises there is an unprecedented opportunity with Yamaha in GPs in 2022 - Vinales' shock exit and Rossi leaving/retiring, plus most of the emerging talent from Moto2 already being signed or spoken for, this is probably a better chance now than he has had at any other point in his career, despite his age.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I wonder if the Dorna honchos are trying to get Rea into MotoGP, he's basically won WSBK, answered every question that has been thrown at him. Short of banning anyone who's name begins with an R riding a bike starting with a K, it seems unlikely that any change will pull him back. Grand Prix bikes could survive a Doohan Era, (albeit at the cost of the rise of WSBK), could WSBK now survive the same? And the stars do align for him to go to MotoGP now.

Really not liking the trajectory of Rossi and the Saudis. I don't think either of them will come well out of this.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Rossi fans, please don't take this the wrong way, but...
I am really not looking forward to Rossi making up one half of his own team next year, should that occur. First, we have seen Rossi announce that the Saudi prince really wants him to ride, then Marini says the same, then Uccio says the same, next in line is Rossi saying, well, everyone wants me to ride, so I guess I have to. It seems all a bit contrived to me. I would much prefer to see him in the role of team manager and rider development, all the greats knew when their time was up, but Rossi seems to have other ideas still. Great rider in his time but IMO time has moved on

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes I completely agree.
I think everyone would forgive this season even if he barely gets 1pt for the rest of the year. He has been a Great, and you don't know you have dropped until suddenly it isn't there any more (we see this happen to lots of sportsmen all the time).
But, I think a 2nd season just for commercial reasons, and with Rossi just riding round to make up the numbers, doesn't seem right.
bikermike wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:09 am
I wonder if the Dorna honchos are trying to get Rea into MotoGP, he's basically won WSBK, answered every question that has been thrown at him. Short of banning anyone who's name begins with an R riding a bike starting with a K, it seems unlikely that any change will pull him back. Grand Prix bikes could survive a Doohan Era, (albeit at the cost of the rise of WSBK), could WSBK now survive the same? And the stars do align for him to go to MotoGP now.

Really not liking the trajectory of Rossi and the Saudis. I don't think either of them will come well out of this.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dorna are trying to push things. Like you say A) he is making WSBK a race for 2nd place in the WC (again) and B) Dorna will push to get a Brit into GPs. I have read that Jake Dixon was a favourite to get the ride, but really you have to look at respective performances right at this moment, and if I was Petronas I would probably give Rea the ride and Dixon another year in Moto2.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's looking like Rossi needs to race next year to secure the Saudi's financing. It seems the prince wants the branding with Rossi's face as Rossi is a huge marketing machine which is in part why he is still racing rather than being retried already.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Not a huge surprise, Saudis tend to take a very dim view of compromise in deals by the other side, and always want what they perceive to be the best/finest etc. Which is why you see so many top-spec lambos etc cluttering up Knightsbridge.

If Rossi didn't know that, he was badly advised.
(Personally, I think it was a bad deal overall, he will be selling his brand equity to the Saudis which may devalue the whole brand, but that's his call)

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yeah it's a real shame I think. I like the moniker that has been added to the team of 'team Bone Saw' for next year. Does he really need to go scraping around there for the money, you would think he could get it from a less shitty source.

Had very limited work dealings with the Saudis in the past. When trying to have a meeting with one company we got to the 4th scheduled telecon call and they still just hadn't turned up (no explanation or request to re-schedule, they just weren't there on each occasion). All of a sudden out of the blue and weeks later "meeting starting in 10 minutes" and you were just expected to drop sticks and be ready for them. Didn't improve during the meetings either, absolute bunch of assholes. Fortunately the company I was working for didn't take things any further as you could tell it would have been a nightmare contract.

Best story I have heard is a mate of mine who was working in London for a company with Saudi links. A senior guy from the company was heading over to the UK. Apparently they have to try and put them through 'education' classes to prepare them for Western civilisation; you will meet women with their faces and (steady yourself) parts of their legs uncovered. They may have blonde hair, they will open their mouths and speak without being spoken to - that kind of stuff. Guy arrives in the UK, they send a cab with a blonde PA to go and pick him up from the airport. 30 min ride later and before they arrived at the office he had proposed to her.. Later on that day he got shipped back :D

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/98414 ... ent-motogp

Well, it seems he had the last laugh after all...
hats off to him if he did.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Deserving of it's own thread I think :)

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Given recent moves: Petrucci and Lecuona out of Tech3, Rumour mill all but confirming Vinales to Aprilia, Rossi retiring, and few top-shelf riders available, a case can be made for Petrucci to VR46 next year. Familiarity with the Ducati, a good relationship with them, Italian, few top line Moto2 riders left, and the rumour of Bezecchi to Petronas...

I for one would like to see it, he did well for the most part on the red bike, and I think he deserves a seat in Motogp

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Commentary today says that other manufacturers were sniffing around Fernandez, so KTM acted to make sure that they keep him.

I'm not sure where the silly season has got to. Seats available at Yamaha and Petronas. I wonder if they are unfilled because they were targetting Fernandez. I don't think anyone is coming from WSBK to MotoGP, and that Yamaha will look elsewhere for riders.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

2 seats at VR46 are open as well as both Petronas seats, and one factory Yamaha seat. Having said that, it seems like all that is missing for Morbidelli to the Yamaha team are the signatures. Bezecchi seems certain to fill a VR46 seat or failing that, Petronas., so that means 3 seats unfilled, in some combination of Petronas and VR46, which I why I think Petrucci might have a shot at VR46. Looking at what has transpired recently, I am gobsmacked at the fact that both Toprak and Gerloff turned down potential MotoGP rides. One or both of them could have moved up. Crazy...

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yeah Toprak for me was the biggest dropped ball there. I have read about some strong advice from Sofalogu about him staying in the series, and numerous bits about financial incentives for him continuing to win in WSBK.
He certainly won't be the first rider to have their career derailed by dodgy management decisions..

Reading from Simon Patterson this morning:
- Bezzechi most likely to VR46 alongside Marini. Very unlikely he would leave the Vr46 stable in the lurch at this point.
- Canet now off the table as he has signed for Pons Moto2 next year.
- Still in consideration for Petronas: A Fernandez, Vierge, Schrotter, Dixon, Roberts
- outside the box choice: Darryn Binder (apparently he has already signed for the Petronas Moto2 team).

I asked about Rea but apparently he is completely off the table, and was never in consideration (with all of the noise coming from the WSBK rather than MotoGP paddock).

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I honestly think it's easier to list the riders not in contention for the Petronas ride than to list them all!
Scatch what I said about Bezecchi - apparently interview in Speedweek where 'strong links to VR46' were mentioned.

Apparently Cameron Beaubier's manager was seen sniffing around the paddock at the weekend (although think he may be too old, and so discounted along with Rea and Dovi as the Petronas Management have expressly said they want younger riders in the team).

Lin Jarvis again mentioned Gerloff - who does have a clause in his WSBK contract that he can take a GP ride if he is offered one.

Even Ogura mentioned apparently !

Honestly think if I was a Moto2 rider I would be doing my absolute upmost to try and string together a few podiums now, with the right timing they could get offered a ride (honestly not sure where else it could come from).

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Commentators were saying that it's very likely that Ogura will arrive in MotoGP. Given his speed, Moto2 race wins appear on the cards. Perhaps a bit of moderation when he's near the front would help. Getting penalties and then not completing the long lap properly aren't going to help.

It seems that Petronas (the company) may be parting ways with the Petronas team. In which case there may be a risk that the team disappears. https://www.gpone.com/en/2021/08/13/mot ... refresh_ce (Petronas news about half-way down the article.)

EDIT: It's official that Petronas is leaving. https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/98491 ... acing-team. The Moto2 and Moto3 teams will close, while the MotoGP team will continue "as a new independent entry".

Will this slightly limit Yamaha's access to young talent? Without a clear path to MotoGP. Admittedly their riders haven't been coming from the Petronas teams in the lower formulae,

Apical

Re: Silly Season Questions

Post by Apical »

Toprak seen talking to Lin Jarvis in Austria. Definitely, we have photos.

After Razgatlioglu wins the SBK championship, where to? TR 54 did recently sign a two year contract with Yamaha. Is MotoGp included in there?
If Toprak gets a MotoGp offer from someone other than Yamaha can he escape from the contract?

Fabulous Quartararo & Morbidelli most likely in the factory Yamaha team? Not 100% certain about Franky M. in 2022?
No Petronas SRT, Sepang Race Team may not be running Yamahas?

What is the deal between Yamaha and Razlan Razali ? If Petronas pull out, then what happens?

All the love, care and support shown to Maverick Vinales will be given to the new guy. Is that tempting?
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Toprak to Yamaha seems a no brainer. But, it's far from certain that he will win the WSBK championship this year. Though he seems in with a better shout to do so than any non-Rea rider for quite some time. If he doesn't, then I can see the logic of staying in WSBK to give it another shot.

There's no guarantee that he would shine in MotoGP to the same extent that he does in WSBK. And, when did Yamaha last win a championship in WSBK? I can see a number of reasons to keep Toprak there. Perhaps on a promise that a MotoGP seat will be available in the future.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

https://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/984760/ ... me-his-way

Is Rea laying the groundwork for a motogp offer, or just trying to keep Kawa on their toes?

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I agree with you Fingernails but is Toprak likely to get a better opportunity or offer than he has now?
The MV fallout, Rossi retiring, plus the top Moto2 guys already snapped up by other teams, I think if had wanted to go now would certainly be the time.
A few journos (David Emmett amongst them) think he has now blown his chances of riding in GPs by not moving now.

What's not clear is if it's him wanting to remain in WSBK, or how much of a role Sofalogu as his manager has had in that?

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Agree, I don’t see the chances being better for another couple years. Rea may just be making noise but I think he’d go for it at this point. Really would be good to see for the WSBK series as well. The connection seems more broken now under Dorna than it was under competition.