British F1 GP 2010

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
Pix

British F1 GP 2010

Post by Pix »

The switch to race at Donington in 2010 hasn't gone at all well. There have been problems with planning permission, the threat of legal action by Tom Wheatcroft (circuit owner) over millions in unpaid rent and the uncertainty about securing the necessary funds to carry out the redevelopment work.

Bernie Ecclestone has said this week he will extend the deadline to secure the funds to 3rd October (previously 30th September), which makes me think... if they haven't secured funds by the end of September, what makes them think they'll have it a couple of days later? Having already lost 3 months of ticket sales and promotion, isn't it time to pull the plug on the Donington project already?

The next major problem to face is the date of the British GP - 11 July 2010. There is another well known sporting event taking place that day called the World Cup Final. If planned well, maybe this could work in the venue's favour with a few big screens showing the match later in the evening. If not, this could be the difference between sell-out ticket sales: 100,000+ in attendance and... the smallest F1 turn out ever!

The World Cup Final kick-off is around 8.30pm (GMT+1) I think. Approx time to leave Donington "car park" is around 3 hours, then add on your journey time to get home. Anyone planning to watch the World Cup Final surely would be crazy to go to watch F1 earlier in the day and expect to be home to see the start of the match. Showing the match on the big screen at the venue maybe the answer, but with both ITV and BBC covering the World Cup, it will be a race to see who starts the coverage first and secure the viewing audience. Knowing British TV, the World Cup Final build-up will probably begin around midday, if not before, and many fans will want to watch it all. So the question is, what kind of turnout will the British GP get in light of all this? I only know a handful of people that attended Silverstone to watch F1 this year, but none of them are going next year because of this clash!

I'm predicting that Donington will secure the funds in time, but sadly it will ruin them financially because of poor attendance! Anyone planning on going to the British GP next year?
--
Hear me over at www.totalbikerfm.com

heng47

Re: British F1 GP 2010

Post by heng47 »

I know the Brits love football, but surely there are enough motorsports fans who wouldn't mind missing a ball game.

Pix

Post by Pix »

You could be right, Heng... I think the date is just another nail in the coffin!

There has been so much speculation and rumours in the UK about where the British F1 will end up that it's difficult to work out what's really going on.

One thing is for sure, my prediction was wrong. Doningtons bid has collapsed, although I'm probably right about them being severely out of pocket. Silverstone "has not yet been offered a commercially viable contract" - according to the Daily Express newspaper and now Bernie Ecclestone is saying that a British Grand Prix is not imperative.

It would be a bit of a blow for the British fans.. 2 British world champions in 2 years and no more GP! The saga continues...
--

cazzy

Post by cazzy »

From what I've read recently, it appears they will be going back to Silverstone.

Pix

Post by Pix »

Yes certainly looks that way.. despite Donington finding a wad of cash at the eleventh hour, it was too little to late it seems!.. Still no actual agreement with Silverstone though - clocks ticking...
--

Albert

Post by Albert »

I hope that Silverstone tell Bernie where to shove his F1.
The arrogant little **** has ruled with a rod of iron for too damned long now and it's time he was brought down a peg or two!
I feel sorry for Donington though, because despite the abysmal campsite facilities I absolutely Love the track itself and I was looking forward to seeing the new layout used in anger!
Just a shame it won't be the MotoGP guys using it!
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

cazzy

Post by cazzy »

Have to agree with both Pix and Albert.

Bernie is a megalomaniac (althought the money part is true ;))! He really does have to allow a F1 race in the UK, hell, we've had the World champion for the last two seasons.

I love Donnington, spent many a good year up there with national, wbk and motogp.

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Silverstone was great for this bloke, he taught that little Wookie not to 'pinch his wings' as he said "Not bad for a No2 driver' :lol: (pun intended)
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

Pantah

Post by Pantah »

Yeah,he's not inspiring much in me.................No Jack Brabham,thats for sure.....

chakraist

Post by chakraist »

I think Webber is in the form of his life and as fast as anyone else on the grid.

Pantah

Post by Pantah »

That may be true........but no inspiration there.....
He is about as PR savvy as Stoner.........

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

So your a good driver eh, reckon you can drive an F1 car, think again...........

RICHARD HAMMOND F1 DRIVE
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

Pantah

Post by Pantah »

TwoStroke Institute wrote:So your a good driver eh, reckon you can drive an F1 car, think again...........

RICHARD HAMMOND F1 DRIVE
Hell no,I couldnt do it...........I will just stick to a 60s classic on a C or D road....Ha ha ha ....Dont need power to get sideways either..... :P :P :P
You are right about Webber being in the best form of his life..........