Touring Cars...and V8 Supercars

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
RatsMC

Touring Cars...and V8 Supercars

Post by RatsMC »

I just watched Top Gear from last week and they had a segment on the BTCC and touring cars. Aside from WRC (which isn't broadcast here in the States anymore) I don't watch a lot of car racing but the old touring cars looked a lot like the mayhem of old school American stock car racing mixed with the passing of motofcycles on road courses - pretty much exactly what a car races should be.

So, has anyone here spent any time following touring cars? I recognize that the WTCC and BTCC have changes the rules a lot and now only Vauxhall is competing in BTCC but I am considering watching some old races and am wondering if anyone can tell me anything that might make it more interesting or change my mind. I am also looking into Australian V8 Supercars as they seem to fall into the same general category and seems to be the only major series not infected by Super 2000 specs.

OZintheDesert

Re: Touring Cars...and V8 Supercars

Post by OZintheDesert »

I actually don't mind the odd V8 supercar race from back home. Plenty of action and many differing formats depending on the location, sometimes 3 races over a weekend, sometimes 500km races. all leading up to the big 1000km race at bathurst. Bathurst is awesome to go to and even to the finish you will often see bumper to bumper action.
Not too sure if telstra still streams the races race from their site http://www.bigpond.com but if they do its a good spectacle.
I love riding. But not in Libya.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Thanks for that link. It looks liek it may be limited to Telstra customers but the site is so baffling that I haven't figured that out for certain. It does look like they have some cool coverage.

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Did some looking around for ya as I know the bigpong site is a mass of clutter. Outside of Australia you end up being redirected to www.aussiesport.tv and thats where all the videos of the races are located for those outside Aust. it costs about USD$70 for 12 months by the looks and $15 for a month. chances are you will probably find the races on youtube anyway. I only watch them when I go home so I haven't signed up for this (wasn't even aware until i checked this out for you).
With this you also get the Australian Rules football and the Rugby League. Or for just the V8s its $35 for the year. And by the loks just for content it is pretty good value, i think the only thing really missing is the live footage.
But anyway, I hope that helps.
I love riding. But not in Libya.

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

That's great. That is exactly what I was looking for :lol:

I just got a highlight video of BTCC from 1991 to today and it is pretty interesting but highlight vids are never the way to understand anything. I wish we has some real race coverage in this country. SpeedTV used to carry WRC and you'd find other series every once in a while but now it is just NASCAR and reality shows. I am actually surprised that they still carry MotoGP.

Filly46

Post by Filly46 »

My 2005 (bought it May 30, 2009, 10,700 miles, added stripes) V8 5-Speed GT

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Very nice. I bought my wife a new Challenger not too long ago. The thing looks fantastic but I'm not sure I'd want to race it. Compared to her RX-8 it is a beast but it does go pretty well. The thing has enough power that both of us have completely spun the rear end around on it, finding ourselves backward facing traffic :oops:

raisinberry777

Post by raisinberry777 »

Going back to the subject of V8s, Troy Bayliss is driving at Phillip Island this weekend.