New rule changes for F1

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
OZintheDesert

New rule changes for F1

Post by OZintheDesert »

Have any of you guys heard about the hairbrained rule changes in F1 brought out last week. I can't confirm if these are concrete for next year but they are saying that they will be scrapping the "points" system for a medal medal system and that the championship will be decided by the number of wins. I think Bernie has lost more of his marbles... Maybe the divorce is getting to him?
I just hope this kind of hairbrainedness doesn't translate sideways into other racing series
I love riding. But not in Libya.

phil

Re: New rule changes for F1

Post by phil »

It sounds barking mad to me too Oz but i think his hearts in the right place in wanting to give the drivers cause to overtake and not just settle for points.
however when asked if he thought it was fair if, for example, driver 'A' gets 6 wins and 6 DNF's and driver 'B' gets 12 second placings that driver 'A' gets the championship, bernie replied "he (driver 'B') would have to try harder next year."
Eddie jordon reckons its mad.
but it does beat his previous ideas like reversing the grid order or making 1 point possible for each gp (the winner) and every one else gets jack ssssshhhhhh.

phil

Post by phil »

could the answer be as simple as looking at the previous most competative seasons in reasonable memory and asking what are we doing now that we didnt do then and/or vice versa?
i think the answer might be electronic drivers aids.

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Hmm, I wonder how that is going to change the logictics aspects of the series. When I was a few years younger I seem to recall something along the lines that if a team managed to score a single point the FIA would pay the logictics costs (or part of them) of the team for the season. This was part of the reason for making the points down 8th or something. It was designed to get the minnows like Old minardi and Tyrol to at leats try and get points as there was a financial incentive. Or at least something to that effect.
How would this "medal system" change that and give struggling teams something to go for??
I love riding. But not in Libya.

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Best thing is they are stripping away the aero and bringing back slicks. No more silly flap wing thingy's sprouting up everywhere. Another thing they should introduce is CrMo or Al wishbones so carbon fibre wish bones don't break with a slight touch.
Look here you will see just how good F1 used to be (with Murray :lol: ) and the lack of aero allows RACING, Clarkson made the point that these 2 nutters banged wheels 4 time in 1 lap and nothing broke on either car.
ENJOY

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu_KPC312 ... re=related

Now if I could just slap Herman Tilke enough so he would NEVER put another mickey mouse chicane, harmony will be restored.
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke