schumacher to wsb???

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
phil

schumacher to wsb???

Post by phil »

the bbc are reporting that micheal schumacher has been told by honda if he wanted they could make a wsb ride available to him.
i read into it that honda haven't offered him a ride but have said if he were interested they could make it happen (if that makes sense! :lol: )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 729290.stm

i hope he goes for it, i'd love to see it and would genuinly hope to see him win a race, or podium at least.

whatcha think?

lucy

Re: schumacher to wsb???

Post by lucy »

motogpphil wrote: i hope he goes for it, i'd love to see it and would genuinly hope to see him win a race, or podium at least.

whatcha think?
I think he'd be about as good as anyone else whose best result was 3rd in a Hungarian Superstock race!

phil

Post by phil »

i see your point lucy.
but i think you have to consider schumies learning curve is considerably steeper than most other racers or peoples.
would you agree??
hence i think given a season on a wsb ride he'd probably improve faster then your average 3rd placing hungarian superstock rider.

(and hoping to see him win a race (note i said 'A') and believing he will are two different things)

lucy

Post by lucy »

motogpphil wrote:i see your point lucy.

hence i think given a season on a wsb ride he'd probably improve faster then your average 3rd placing hungarian superstock rider.
I agree that MS would bring many strengths (supreme self confidence, courage, an ability to improve the bike by intelligently articulating technical matters) to a WSBK campaign but you can't underestimate the gap between him and the WSBK frontrunners. You're right that he would finish the season in much higher positions than the start.

What do you think about Rossi making the opposite journey to F1? I think he'd be good, maybe even competitve in the right car, but ultimately he's left it too late in his career and would not be able to challenge Fred, LewHam, Massa or even Vettel.

phil

Post by phil »

lucy wrote:an ability to improve the bike by intelligently articulating technical matters
well said and nicely put.
lucy wrote:but you can't underestimate the gap between him and the WSBK frontrunners.
yes, i dont think any of the championship contenders would be afraid to see him there but i think they might like having him there.
lucy wrote: What do you think about Rossi making the opposite journey to F1? I think he'd be good, maybe even competitve in the right car, but ultimately he's left it too late in his career and would not be able to challenge Fred, LewHam, Massa or even Vettel.
well akin to schumy going to wsb i highly doubt it would ever happen but i think he'd probably be a mid pack driver, or given the right car a race winning contender but not a championship winner.

how about this: damon hill is a huge bike fan and was a courier in london before his f1 days, not a job for the timid or unable.
i'd like to see hill and schumacher got at it on bikes given their past challenges.
(no rough stuff now micheal...... :lol: )

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

This is a subject I love to rabbit on about :lol: .There seems crossing the gulf between disciplines is possible but normaly it is one way dirt to tar or bikes to cars.The instances of the reverse are very rare indeed. Considering he isn't racing for fame,money, glory or trophies Schumi must be racing because he can and he's having fun. If I had the bike I would be offing him a good Bakker TZ 350/RS 250 for a ride in ICCGP. I hope he does if he runs second last that's still better than one bloke out there.I don't think he would pscyhe anyone one out but most racers would think it lovely to say you went 20 laps of (insert circuit here)wheel to wheel with Schumi and had a laugh/whinge/cry/beer/coffee with replying the race with him afterwards.Not to mention it would be real coup for any series to snare him and a PR operatives wet dream. Good on him hope he goes hard or goes home.
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

phil

Post by phil »

crash.net are reporting the 'offer' as a german round wild card ride not a full season.
MS is not known for talking for effect or attention.
if he says bikes are a hobby thats what they are, to all and sundry on the BBC's forum this is no more than a honda publicity stunt...i'm inclined to agree.
still...i'd love to see ity happen.

here's a funny story schumy ran someone over in a van!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 534890.stm

Rusty Bucket USA

Post by Rusty Bucket USA »

My understanding of WSBK and WSSprt is that if you have enough money, you only have to buy the equipment that gets you through tech inspection (as opposed to building a prototype machine). You don't really need any manufacturer's "permission" or a contract. Naturally, making that equipment into a winner is the real trick... ;)

Suffice to say, I am sure that he could afford to bankroll it himself if he really wants to. Getting someone else to pay for it is always preferrable, and would probably be a good exposure for a sponsor, for the first year. Getting on a factory works bike is the thing that wouldn't be likely unless and until he proves himself to be better than a current rider already on a factory payroll. Then, if I were him, I think I would have more fun with the idea that I could beat the factory bikes on my own.

Also, I can't see how he would field a Japanese bike before a European one...
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

The master at 4 wheels would just insult the skill of 2 wheel pilots.. I was a huge fan,,, but stay off off 2 wheels MS, it would only be embarrassing :oops:

unless you want to buy a team !!! Kawasaki GP would love to have your money,,, What a deal!!!! Step up Michael ! :D

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

sezer

Post by sezer »

Our coach Tommi Wagner, to go with Schumacher in Brno...

photos on our club website http://trackattack.org/home/index.php/u ... 3-06-01-48
Yours sincerely TrackAttack Club

lucy

Post by lucy »

sezer wrote:Our coach Tommi Wagner, to go with Schumacher in Brno...

photos on our club website http://trackattack.org/home/index.php/u ... 3-06-01-48

Сезера Добро пожаловать!

I translated the article for our non-Russian speaking forum members...

Tommy Wagner and Michael Schumacher Race in Brno

Two exciting races were held in Brno. Tom Wagner and Michael Schumacher participated in these races. Schumacher won the first race 14 seconds ahead of the pack. In the second race Wagner was one second behind Schumacher. Tommy Wagner added to the list of champions with whom he has raced. This includes races and podiums with Troy Bayliss, Scott Russell, Carl Fogarty, Giacomo Agostini and John Surtees (Translator's Note: That's an all star list but how old is this guy?) in America and England.

Rusty Bucket USA

Post by Rusty Bucket USA »

It turns out he'll be doing a "Farewell F1" tour...
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090729/F1/907299991
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.

phil

Post by phil »

yes i saw that rusty.
i think i'll check in and watch that race...the first in many a year.