STONER RACING V8's

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
Zaphod

STONER RACING V8's

Post by Zaphod »

Well, it was reported through the media , mid last week, that Casey Stoner was going to drive for Redbull racing in the development catagory of V8 supercars, starting with the first race in Adelaide.

Quote, several media reports,

Just last week, he denied reports he had signed on the dotted line for a switch to four wheels.

'Don't believe everything you read,' Stoner tweeted.

Then, true to form, he has announced a week later that he is going to be lining up at Adelaide in the Redbull racing commodore .......

Expecting this class to generate some headlines this year....... ;) :lol:

Media has been two from two so far......... might have to start believing what I read. ;) :lol:
2:02.443

tack

Re: STONER RACING V8's

Post by tack »

Some of you out there in other countries may not know much about the V8 supercar series, where it came from or who’s in it. Anyway, you may not have heard of V8s, seen the racing or heard of their people but you may like to know what they’ve achieved here.
In a small sponsorship market (Australia) where high profile sports (Football codes and cricket, etc) all compete for the meagre number of big company sponsorship dollars that exist here, the V8 supercar series have excelled. They have achieved the profile, the media coverage and the financial positioning in a tough market against other dominant Australian sports.
It’s a huge problem here. We just don’t have the population or large numbers of wealthy companies to support all the sports we have. What determines support here is obviously TV and other media coverage.
What the people behind V8’s have done is taken a floundering but iconic sport and moulded it into a marketing and sponsorship success.
That’s all V8’s is; An Entertainment Franchise. A Reality TV sports show. A business.
Boxed, wrapped and packaged for TV with the sole aim of allowing its franchise members the leverage to attract corporate sponsorship for an extremely expensive sport.
Each team employs companies to track every piece of media coverage they get plus the estimated value of that coverage to show the eturn for their sponsor dollars plus to show the overall value that V8 supercars gains in the market place. The cost/ benefit ratio being how much money/value the teams can generate in coverage compared to how much the company can spend through direct advertising in the media or in the other major sports.
The top V8 drivers are almost TV celebrities, appearing on TV shows, all forms of media advertising, radio programs, lifestyle shows and making appearances at stores/shopping centres etc. They are household names and the category has entrenched itself as a an iconic Australian sport.
This is mentality that bike racing here needs to adopt do to get itself out of the bushes and by doing so support lower categories and riders with the added bonus of being able to produce and support more world champions overseas.
The disappointing part is that bike racing can be so much more exciting and competitive than most forms of car racing however that’s not the point is it! Australian bike racing has more World champions than car racing does, plus a long and proud history of very successful riders and engineers on the world stage, probably far more than Australian car racing does. But what difference does all that make. It’s really about money, sponsorship dollars, market share, TV coverage, profile, marketability, value for investment dollar, share holders etc.
That’s what Formula One did under Bernie Ecclestone, It’s what V8 Supercars modelled it on, it’s what NASCAR is all about and it’s what MotoGP has been trying to achieve.
The real question is: What is Stoner doing wanting to drive in a category that embodies and is the pinnacle all the things that he supposedly despises about the direction that MotoGP is heading ?

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

tack wrote:The real question is: What is Stoner doing wanting to drive in a category that embodies and is the pinnacle all the things that he supposedly despises about the direction that MotoGP is heading ?
Er - having a bit of fun, driving a fast vehicle that he has wanted to do for years, not taking too much risk for his family's sake, and getting all that for free? If you equate the passion (or disappointment) for something that was the driving (no pun intended) thing in your life for more than 20 years, and that could easily kill/maim you that doesn't turn out to be the ideal you had believed in, with having a bit of a thrash around home circuits in a tin-top, then I believe you've missed the point. Sir Thomas More did not recant his Catholicism and was executed for that; Stoner lost his faith in his religion and left. The Pyrrhic victory goes to More, of course.
Zaphod wrote:Then, true to form, he has announced a week later that he is going to be lining up at Adelaide in the Redbull racing commodore .......
True to form? We have Nakamoto's testimony that Stoner held off the announcement of his retirement for months as a matter of loyalty / courtesy to HRC, and just possibly, Stoner had not inked the Red Bull deal until just before he announced it? Since when has loyalty to / respect for one's employer / sponsor been an odious personality trait? (and no, I'm not going to draw any snide comparisons). There is an old saying: 'He who pays the Piper calls the tune'. Could you perhaps embrace the concept that Stoner recognises that he is merely the Piper and considers it honourable to accord his higher priority to those who make it possible for him to ply his trade / have his fun? Certainly, it seems that HRC is one of those who do find that characteristic acceptable, as does (one can deduce), Red Bull. They are/were prepared to put $$millions into keeping Stoner on their team. I fail to see the (presumably) higher purpose that he would serve by ignoring their 'interest' in his utterings.
Road rash is nature's way of telling you you should have widened your entry

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

I took the 'true to form' comment to refer to the fact that it was leaked in the press about his retirement, which he then denied and then later announced he was in fact retiring. Which is exactly what happened with the latest announcement. I don't think he was trying to put Stoner down.

In the UK a channel called MotorsTV used to (might still be on there) show the V8's and its the only form of car racing that I've genuinly enjoyed watching other than the occassional F1 race if it doesn't bore me to death.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

I don't take what riders say too seriously, as it doesn't affect my life in way what-so-ever.

.........other than giving me a chuckle from time to time. ;)

That was my point, reports are made on his future, and what he's doing. That's the job of the media (and in neither case was it poor, muck raking journalisim).

He has then denied and decried the reports, and in one case the reporter..........only to confirm them at a later date.

Just watched "Fastest" again..........they all do it (as do we all), with the possible exception of Dani ...... in that movie at least.

I hope Oscar doesn't take this the wrong way, but I think there will be much hoop-la and carry on in the media after Casey starts.

This, because I believe he will already have a huge, fluorescent target (visible from the moon) painted on his back by the other competitors. right or wrong.

Good ol' Wayne G found this out. His results , when he finished a race, were quite good.......... however, he got "tapped" and "nudged" quite a bit more than is the norm. There is a you-tube compilation of his "off's", and 90% of them involve being pushed off or driven into.

I am not comparing Wayne and Casey's personalities, or abilities.....I am stating what is to be expected from the cowboys who race in these classes.

Juan .P. Montoya had a reputation in F1 for being a cowboy, and shoving people around.....until he saddled up for NASCAR. Then he found out that he's actually the piano player in the corner of the saloon. :lol: :lol:

I am also, not comparing how Casey conducts his business to the way Juan does. Just that when they enter into these classes, despite the public "Oh, it's going to be fantastic to race against someone of that level " etc from the regular series competitors, what they really mean is, " I'm gunna take a F****** chain saw to this tall poppy, we'll show him just how we play this game"........cowboys.

.......and Casey thought Motogp life/politics was a frustrating, shitty game.

It's going to make V8's interesting for 6mth's at least......... ;) :lol: :lol:

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Zaphod wrote: I hope Oscar doesn't take this the wrong way, but I think there will be much hoop-la and carry on in the media after Casey starts.
Absolutely agree - and the precise example you quoted is a case in point.

What in fact did Stoner do? - denied that he had signed a contract, as reported. He didn't deny he was possibly going racing under the Red Bull banner. Then he announced a week later that yes, he had now signed a contract with Red Bull.

What in fact - assuming, just to be charitable, that he was telling the truth when he stated he hadn't signed any contract - was he supposed to do? Say that he was going to sign, perhaps? To make that sort of statement if he (or for that matter, they) had NOT signed would be a breach of commercial confidence with Red Bull and effectively put them under pressure to deliver said contract. Who knows what hoops needed to be jumped through before the ink finally dried on the paper? It seems to me that Stoner is being denigrated in some corners - vociferously so on some sites - for doing no more than respecting the intricacies (and probably the niceties) of contract negotiations.

The world's motosport press are having a ball with reporting Stoner's move into V8 racing - it's getting attention just from that, that it would normally not get. We've all seen various examples of certain riders (with the notable exceptions of Pedrosa and Stoner) playing their prospective employers off with teasing comments about where they might go (Lorenzo has done it and Rossi is rather renowned for it). From the outside, that can be seen as a bit of a giggle all around; however the 'outside' doesn't sign the essential cheques. When an organisation is paying millions of $$ to allow you to, basically, pursue a hobby and have a bit of fun, to scratch an itch, to me they deserve respect and not to be screwed over.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

This might be drawing a long bow, or a be seen as consparicy theory......but anyway,

Stoner has been in the 888 garage, on and off, for the last two years......not any other, just that one. So it could reasonably dedudced that they were keen for him, and he was keen to slot into the top team.

888 have had voda-phone backing for quite a few years now, but somewhere towards the middle or end of last season, negotiations with red bull commenced, and came to fruition.

Red bull is one of Casey's personal sponsors.

I am wondering if Casey brought that with him. Not in that it was a requirement for him to join the team...and that is moot anyway, but more if the situation, or chance for that to happen, already existed, so he brought it along, or was a product, who if in that team, would make red bull more likely to be title sponsor.

888, and Jamie Whincup in particular, had/have a hell of a job trying to get out of Whincups personal Monster Energy drink sponsorship, which has 12 months to run.

I'm sure the team would be happy to run him anyway, but if a new driver brings that sort of stuff with him, well......win-win.

Not intended to be negative, or the like. Just something I wondered in passing.

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Zaphod wrote:I am wondering if Casey brought that with him. Not in that it was a requirement for him to join the team...and that is moot anyway, but more if the situation, or chance for that to happen, already existed, so he brought it along, or was a product, who if in that team, would make red bull more likely to be title sponsor.
Red Bull Racing Australia is a new venture for Red Bull - and they're getting instant, world-wide attention from Stoner's participation in the team, not to mention a heap of articles in the Australian general press. Any sponsor who gets that level of attention would be jumping for joy. Hell, it even gets a run on GpOne, alongside Rossi's change of toothbrush brand, and that's no mean feat. We can expect Kevin Schwantz's column in Soup announcing that he couldn't give a fur-lined intercontinental flying fuck and that he was offered twice that by Red Bull to take up grand prix tiddlywinks after he walked out on gp racing mid-season, to set the seal on it completely.

As a small aside, and wrt the timing of Stoner's tweet re actually signing: I doubt it is any coincidence that RBRA also tweeted (and press released) that signing on the same day as Stoner's announcement:
Red Bull Racing AUS ‏@redbullracingAU

It's official! Welcome to the family @Official_CS27 http://win.gs/Wu0NVD #RBRA
Let's just add, quoting from RBRA's Press Release of 27 January: 'Only contractual discussions prevented an earlier announcement'.

So can we call off any perpetuation of some sort of new factoid about Stoner's apparent failings, joining such classics as 'Stoner is the King of TC', 'Stoner can't race' and 'Stoner can only win on the best bike' right now and accept that Stoner was doing no more than honouring an obvious agreement with RBRA re the timing of any announcement?

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

tack wrote:Some of you out there in other countries may not know much about the V8 supercar series, where it came from or who’s in it. Anyway, you may not have heard of V8s, seen the racing or heard of their people but you may like to know what they’ve achieved here.
In a small sponsorship market (Australia) where high profile sports (Football codes and cricket, etc) all compete for the meagre number of big company sponsorship dollars that exist here, the V8 supercar series have excelled. They have achieved the profile, the media coverage and the financial positioning in a tough market against other dominant Australian sports.
It’s a huge problem here. We just don’t have the population or large numbers of wealthy companies to support all the sports we have. What determines support here is obviously TV and other media coverage.
What the people behind V8’s have done is taken a floundering but iconic sport and moulded it into a marketing and sponsorship success.
That’s all V8’s is; An Entertainment Franchise. A Reality TV sports show. A business.
Boxed, wrapped and packaged for TV with the sole aim of allowing its franchise members the leverage to attract corporate sponsorship for an extremely expensive sport.
Each team employs companies to track every piece of media coverage they get plus the estimated value of that coverage to show the eturn for their sponsor dollars plus to show the overall value that V8 supercars gains in the market place. The cost/ benefit ratio being how much money/value the teams can generate in coverage compared to how much the company can spend through direct advertising in the media or in the other major sports.
The top V8 drivers are almost TV celebrities, appearing on TV shows, all forms of media advertising, radio programs, lifestyle shows and making appearances at stores/shopping centres etc. They are household names and the category has entrenched itself as a an iconic Australian sport.
This is mentality that bike racing here needs to adopt do to get itself out of the bushes and by doing so support lower categories and riders with the added bonus of being able to produce and support more world champions overseas.
The disappointing part is that bike racing can be so much more exciting and competitive than most forms of car racing however that’s not the point is it! Australian bike racing has more World champions than car racing does, plus a long and proud history of very successful riders and engineers on the world stage, probably far more than Australian car racing does. But what difference does all that make. It’s really about money, sponsorship dollars, market share, TV coverage, profile, marketability, value for investment dollar, share holders etc.
That’s what Formula One did under Bernie Ecclestone, It’s what V8 Supercars modelled it on, it’s what NASCAR is all about and it’s what MotoGP has been trying to achieve.
The real question is: What is Stoner doing wanting to drive in a category that embodies and is the pinnacle all the things that he supposedly despises about the direction that MotoGP is heading ?
Touring Cars have always had a high profile in Australia for as long as I can remember. Rivalries have been exploited since when we had a cocky Canadian Moffat v's a Aussie Brock, drivers were second to the real rivalry which if your an Aussie bloke usualy got you into a scrap in the playground that being Ford V's Holden or Falcon V's Commodore. Touring Cars have always been commercialy astute as factories have always been involved, now the series is run by greedy theiving money hungry bastards.That seem to be intent on weasel sucking the life out of grass roots motorsport and expecting taxpayers to underpin their bottom line. The series will be out to get high profiles and getting Casey Stoner onboard is a bit of a coup for them. He would be doing it for the challenge , cash and that he could be home on Sunday night should he wish.
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

I'm glad Stoner has gone to race cars. I'm hoping it will mean I don't have to go through every thread with a fine-tooth comb weeding out potentially explosive arguments.

And the official position of MotoMatters.com on all forms of four-wheeled contest is "Cars Suck!"
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Albert

Post by Albert »

Kropotkin wrote: And the official position of MotoMatters.com on all forms of four-wheeled contest is "Cars Suck!"
--- unless, of course, they have superchargers -- then they blow! ;)
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Kropotkin wrote:I'm glad Stoner has gone to race cars. I'm hoping it will mean I don't have to go through every thread with a fine-tooth comb weeding out potentially explosive arguments.
So you've been praying for years that Rossi would switch to F1 :?: :mrgreen:
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

JanBros wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:I'm glad Stoner has gone to race cars. I'm hoping it will mean I don't have to go through every thread with a fine-tooth comb weeding out potentially explosive arguments.
So you've been praying for years that Rossi would switch to F1 :?: :mrgreen:
It would make my job a lot easier. Though possibly a little less lucrative.
--

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Albert wrote:
Kropotkin wrote: And the official position of MotoMatters.com on all forms of four-wheeled contest is "Cars Suck!"
--- unless, of course, they have superchargers -- then they blow! ;)
Actually, they both suck and blow at the same time. A bit like a vacuum cleaner...
--

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Actually, V8's just suck.........plain and simple. In the good ol' day's mentioned above (60's 70's and 80's), the cars had some relevance (as did the racing) as they were just tuned versions of what you bought off the showroom floor.

Now it's modled off NASCAR, as in it's all about the show, people crashing (exitement..... :? ) and the only difference between the cars is the engine, and the shape of the body shell.

some of us refer to them as V8 super-taxi's.....

That Stoner would choose to, or desire to aim for these dizzying heights of motorsport is somewhat confusing and astounding to alot of us.

After all, they're the four wheeled equivelant of CRT's........ ;) If that's what floats his boat, good for him, and good luck to him.

One thing though, the predictable verbal wars and on track tap and bash incidents that will occur once he really starts in, are going to make the ol' Stoner V Rossi at Laguna look like two polite old ladies kindly deferring the last biscut on the plate to each other.

No matter which side of the fence you sit on in regards to him, one thing for sure is he is polarizing.

Me, I like to sit high up in a tree near the fence, and laugh when they get close to, or hit each other with their verbal rocks.It's not the reason I tune in and watch, but what the hey........it's a funny sideline to the main show.......

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

TwoStroke Institute wrote:Rivalries have been exploited since when we had a cocky Canadian Moffat v's a Aussie Brock
Earlier than that, TSI: Moffat vs Geoghan, Jane and Beechey, when Brocky was a teenager... I was in the pits at Warwick Farm when Moffat bumped Jane off track, and Jane came into the pits at the end of the race, walked over to Moffat's car, grabbed the back of Moffat's helmet with his left hand and planted his right fist in Moffat's face; none of the 200 or so of us watching had seen it when the Marshalls came around asking questions..
Zaphod wrote:After all, they're the four wheeled equivelant of CRT's........ ;) If that's what floats his boat, good for him, and good luck to him.
Hailwood raced cars, Johnny Cecotto raced cars, Gardner raced cars and of course Surtees was rather good on two or four wheels... And yes, I agree that the current v8's are hardly more than CRT machines in essence, but maybe Stoner just wants to have fun on the track? Hell, if someone offered you a top-team V8 to play in, for free, would you knock it back on principle? Anyway, Alessandra has those cute pink headphones, do you expect Stoner to waste the money he invested in them?

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

True, Cecotto at least raced when there was multiple classes. Gardner.....spat it is probably the wrong descriptive, but he packed up due to the moronical cowboy attitude that prevails there.........that, and he said "they're so slow, and somewhat boring" and went off to GT racing in Japan.

I'm not knocking his decision to go car racing at all.I can see why he'd do it, ie for the fun factor.....as well as being slightly less risky, and prone to injuries......but I can also see him being tried by, not so much the politics, but the boneheads. If he punched Randy in the arm, it's gunna test his patience when he has to deal with the Ingalls etc of his new world.

But in saying that, what else is there to race here at home ? That's the defining factor for me, he's said the most important thing for him at the moment is to be at home.

Limited options for 'fun'/work.

As well as the V8's, maybe he'll keep in good with Honda and turn up every year as a wildcard for the Island MotoGP......that'd be cool. ;)

Anyway, it's bound to get humorous........from the couch that is. And by that, I don't mean just Stoner.......there's gunna be some ruffled ego's,petty "games".... and panel damage.

This sort of humorous is what I'm looking forward to.....when Frank Gardner was asked what Bob Jane had to say in regards to the Moffat incident, he replied......"well, if you take out all the swear words........not whole lot at all."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it.

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Kropotkin wrote:
And the official position of MotoMatters.com on all forms of four-wheeled contest is "Cars Suck!"

but karts kick everyones arse. I'll arrange a ride if you like? Nowhere to hide :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u361DTg3DUw
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Zaphod wrote:As well as the V8's, maybe he'll keep in good with Honda and turn up every year as a wildcard for the Island MotoGP......that'd be cool. ;)
I have a dream.... that HRC would allow Doohan to take one of his 500s and have it fettled into race nick, and also drag out the Doohan-moddied RCV from last year, and let Stoner on the 500 and Doohan on the RCV play together out there for at least a dozen laps at P.I. this year.. throw in Bayliss on the Stoner Duc that was sold at auction last year, Vermuelen on any surviving Squeeky motoGp machine and Gazza McCoy on anything with two wheels (hell, let's say a TSI-fettled TZ750) and the crowd would go nuts. And if we could get Croz back on a Kwak superbike.... sprinkles on top.

To be immediately preceeded by at least two serious demo laps from decent riders on an Irving-Vincent and a Britten, in case there is anybody in the crowd that needs awakening from the dead...

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Crafar, Slighty and Stroud on the Brittens.......... 8-)

Be even better if the Brittens still out performed the Duc's..........you know, as long as we're dreaming ! ;)

Oh, and Stoner has to ride the NSR with the screamer donk fitted. 8-) :D

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Zaphod wrote:Crafar, Slighty and Stroud on the Brittens.......... 8-)

Be even better if the Brittens still out performed the Duc's..........you know, as long as we're dreaming ! ;)

Oh, and Stoner has to ride the NSR with the screamer donk fitted. 8-) :D
Crafar and Slighty? - oh, yes, (assuming Slighty has returned to the planet by now?) Hell, Mladin had a stint in motoGp, why not throw him on a Squeeky SBK, he's not doing much these days I hear. I drive near his place twice a week, I could probably drop in and let him know it's on..

And I reckon Stoner would be up for the screamer NSR motor.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Saw Slighty on TV not long ago.

His head issues were down to some previously undiagnosed medical condition. opp apparently has set him good.

He's a bit pissed it wasn't found sooner (though he wasn't laying blame), 'cause he felt he had much more he could have achieved.

Fair call, I thought. Just after he left, Honda came out with the bike that Edwards and co did so well on.

Mladin lists his 500 move as his worst. Too early in his career, wrong team.

This is firing me up to go and see Gardner, Rob "I was hit in the face with a shovel" Phillis, Wally and co when they punt the old trucks around the Island next time.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Zaphod wrote: That Stoner would choose to, or desire to aim for these dizzying heights of motorsport is somewhat confusing and astounding to alot of us.

After all, they're the four wheeled equivelant of CRT's........ ;) If that's what floats his boat, good for him, and good luck to him.
A group of us asked Stoner about this, and he managed to insult both V8 Supercars and MotoGP with his answer, saying that MotoGP was a joke and not worthy of a world championship, and that he knew exactly what V8s were, and that it was a totally different level of championship, implying that it wasn't to be taken very seriously.

I think he just wants to be at home in Australia, and have some fun racing.
--

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Kropotkin wrote: A group of us asked Stoner about this, and he managed to insult both V8 Supercars and MotoGP with his answer....
As well as an amazing amount of skill on two wheels, this is something else he has a knack for. Sure, if we look deep enough, maybe there is some misunderstanding between what he said and what he meant, or why he said it.....trouble is, the majority of fans don't get that deep...the rider's either great or not, and if he (and that is the generic "he", not the specific) keeps opening his mouth and saying stupid or rude things, well....he's seen as a nob.

Case in point, the latest signing. Technically, he hadn't put the pen on the paper at the time of his denial, though it must be assumed this was the formality, and the deal was indeed done. To say "don't believe everything you read" is a rather,...well, everyone can find their own descriptive, way to go about it. Sure, he may have found a clause or such in the contract that he didn't like...the possibilities are endless.....

But what's wrong with "Not finalised yet, but looking good so far" or the like ?....you know, something freindly relaxed...and honest.It doesn't really matter to anyone but himself, and seeing as how he's on the record wondering why everybody loves Mr Rossi,and how it obviously grates him, maybe he could work on giving more..."freindly" answers...... it would definately help him feel more loved.

It's something Rossi is good at, or he would have been condemned and despised by the majority after the last lap Gibernau incident.....let alone all the other little indiscretions.

He's good at PR, Stoner not so much...and as stated, it doesn't really matter to anyone but himself.

It's all good and well for people to explain how he's misunderstood etc, I could care less, what gets me is the "nobody loves me, why does everyone love that arse ?, I don't feel I get the respect..." etc

If it bugs him that much, work on the way you say things. It's not the message, it's the way it's worded.

Anyhow...... what gave me a chuckle was.... Three years of hanging around the triple eight garage, all the reports of him heading there, including his own desire to race V8's......and someone has let it out that it's a given, it's all going to happen.....not has, but going to.....

Casey's response was, well...a little pedantic. People have mentioned that he wanted to be the one to make the announcement. Good luck with that Casey....in these days of electronic and social media you'd need to have M15, or the like, handling you for that to work.

Kropotkin wrote: I think he just wants to be at home in Australia, and have some fun racing.

That's a given, and really hope he is successful, and has heaps of fun.

Grahluk

Post by Grahluk »

Kropotkin wrote:
A group of us asked Stoner about this, and he managed to insult both V8 Supercars and MotoGP with his answer, saying that MotoGP was a joke and not worthy of a world championship, and that he knew exactly what V8s were, and that it was a totally different level of championship, implying that it wasn't to be taken very seriously.

I think he just wants to be at home in Australia, and have some fun racing.
Ma & Pa Stoner seemed to have done an exceptional job raising a principled & hard working son. Only thing they neglected was passing on that golden chestnut "If you don't have anything good to say, better to say nothing at all" you don't have to be a master of PR to manage it.

Well all good luck & fun to him in his latest pursuit. A couple years knocking around on 4 wheels & what he says about Moto GP will be irrelevant. He can then take his place along the other former champs who occasionally show up as spectators & get a microphone stuck under their nose.