F1 fans

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
CLX

F1 fans

Post by CLX »

Show yourselves, please.

I've been an F1 fan since the late 80s, the first season I followed completely was 1990, when I was 10. Thanks to Senna, I've always been a huge McLaren fan, even in their dry spells. Due to the 1990 battle, I was never able to become a Ferrari fan. I lost some interest between 1994 and 1998, but thaks to Hakkinen and the internet I got myself hooked on again and now I'm as addicted as possible, despite Schumacher's and Ferrari's dominance this decade.

From a pure racing point of view, Moto GP is certianly more exciting and daring. But F1 still holds a special place in my heart. Nowadays it's been easier to follow it due to increased coverage and the possibility of downloading the races form the internet, so I rarely miss a race. The last race I missed was China 2005.

That's it in a nutshell.

What about you guys?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

ChrisS

Re: F1 fans

Post by ChrisS »

I started watching F1 around 91 and I became a Williams fan since they were winning all the time back then. I remain a Williams fan today regardless of the drivers or how good the team is doing.

I used to be only into F1 before my interests expanded to other motorsports on 2 and 4 wheels, I started following SBK around 98-99 and MotoGP in 2000 and now my interest in them has surpassed F1. FIA and FIM see to it that F1 and MotoGP are never on at the same time but F1 and SBK often are and I always prefer to watch SBK (supersport and superbike race 2) and I record the F1 race to watch it later.

jupiejupe

Post by jupiejupe »

fours wheels not unless it's rally racing on a dirt road in the country with all my friends in the car

a reform is a correction of abuse's, a revolution is a change in power. -bulwer-lytton

"the soul belongs to God, but the body belong to us"-rasputin

if we had eggs, we could have ham and eggs, ...if we have ham. - jordan sheline

Mhairi_S

Post by Mhairi_S »

Never knew this bit was here lol Im an F1 fan to, grew up watchin it. Always been a Mclaren fan from the days of Hakkinen and DC even though past season or to ive become a bit of a BMW fan on the side to.

Was disapointed to see Canada taken of the calander for next season, great track with plenty of action but just shows sadly F1 is more about what the money men want rather than the fans

I ensure i never miss a race in Moto GP (all 3 classes) or F1 its like an addiction :) bit annoying if they are on during the same weekend though. I have always preferred F1 to Moto GP but that is probably because i only got into Moto GP about 7years ago whereas F1 has always been about but in recent times ive become a bit disillusioned with F1 it lacks a bit of excitement whereas my enjoyment for Moto GP has grown so much that it is now my fav, that and the fact I love Pedrosa, well someone has to :)

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Mhairi_S wrote:that and the fact I love Pedrosa, well someone has to :)
That's very noble of you, Mhairi!

One thing that always surprises me about the difference between F1 fans and MotoGP fans, F1 fans are often fans of teams, saying they're a McLaren fan, or a Williams fan, or a Ferrari fan. But in MotoGP, people will first say they're a fan of a particular rider, and only then maybe a Ducati fan, or a Honda fan. It's an interesting distinction, but I'm still not entirely sure what it means.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Rusty Bucket USA

Post by Rusty Bucket USA »

Just ask J.B. ;)
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.

jupiejupe

Post by jupiejupe »

Kropotkin wrote:
Mhairi_S wrote:that and the fact I love Pedrosa, well someone has to :)
That's very noble of you, Mhairi!

One thing that always surprises me about the difference between F1 fans and MotoGP fans, F1 fans are often fans of teams, saying they're a McLaren fan, or a Williams fan, or a Ferrari fan. But in MotoGP, people will first say they're a fan of a particular rider, and only then maybe a Ducati fan, or a Honda fan. It's an interesting distinction, but I'm still not entirely sure what it means.
i am a yamha fan, not sure how it happened, and i also only owned yamha roadbikes, but that was not on purpose either. i like all the riders on yamha too, well expect maybe eboz.

a reform is a correction of abuse's, a revolution is a change in power. -bulwer-lytton

"the soul belongs to God, but the body belong to us"-rasputin

if we had eggs, we could have ham and eggs, ...if we have ham. - jordan sheline

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Kropotkin wrote:

Weird. I had never noticed this. I am a person that takes my opinions seriously and form them slowly. I only become a fan of anything after consistent, repeated showing of true heart and I appreciate this over success. I had lost my love for Rossi in 2006 when it appeared that Hayden might have chance, not through dazzling skill but through sheer determination and hard work - this is also why I appreciate what Rossi has done this season.

I say this because I believe it is hard for a team to show this same sort of heart and spirit. This is why I find it hard have any finding the same sort of allegiance to any team.

I think that this is also a function of motorcycle racing in general. These guys are out there actually showing us how much they care, how much they actually want to win. When Rossi is on a charge you can see it, his body tells you that everyone in front of him will need to get out of the way.

You simply can't see this in F1.

Anyway, I apologize for sidetracking this topic. I do truly appreciate the machines and the skill required to run them.

Mhairi_S

Post by Mhairi_S »

Kropotkin

I see your point, it is weird and I don't really know why although in recent times I have drifted more towards individuals although I am a McLaren girl and heart and will root for them, well Kovi anyway, I am moving away from the team factor. In Moto GP I do like to see Hayden do well to (used to be my no2 rider now about 5 lol) so I support Repsol to plus I like Dovi so Repsol all the way but I suppose its harder in Moto GP to support a team especially if you are fans of riders from the lower classes where riders change manufacturers alot and only Honda and Yahama are in the lower classes so its harder I suppose to stay to a team. I dont know lol but where Pedrosa goes I go :D