“Greatest track in the world” - Nordschleife

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
ipso

“Greatest track in the world” - Nordschleife

Post by ipso »

Probably most of you have seen this classic already. Kind of a must-see. (Over and over, for the subtleties.)

For me this has as much comedy, suspense, and intrigue as a narrative movie. So many decisions; and that straight-cut gear sound!

Just another day at the office - backing it in; drifting, picking people off. Hans is 53 years old I believe too. This is a practice session for the 2004 (or 2005?) 24 hour Nordschleife race. (Bmwusa.com has a version with his commentary too.)

The flat-out 5th gear drift at 5:00 makes me want to puke.

And look at that front wheel positive camber!

Cam D

Re: “Greatest track in the world” - Nordschleife

Post by Cam D »

Just watched it 5 times and it's much better turned up loud with headphones :) I have trouble taking my eyes off the "road" to watch the drivers skills.
Excellent link (already passed on to friends)... thanks.

Cam
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Really impressive. I have that whole track memorized from doing the 75 lap (?) race in Forza 2 and there are a couple of points in that video that freak me out. As he is running the long uphill straight toward the end, the kink at the top can be terrifying and he just glides through it.

Watch through once just watching the shifting. There are several points where he shifts down in seemingly toatlly inappropriate time and then the killer uphill climb appears. The track knowledge is superhuman.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

I realise this is the "Too Many Wheels" section but because it is a thread about Nordschleife itself I thought I would put this here. (If you want 4 wheels watch it twice :))
Best watched at 720p in full screen.

My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

WayneG wrote:I realise this is the "Too Many Wheels" section but because it is a thread about Nordschleife itself I thought I would put this here. (If you want 4 wheels watch it twice :))
Best watched at 720p in full screen.
well done,, great rider doing some great riding!

although~

I would imagine that if you threw Guy Martin the keys,, give him a warm up lap or 2 ,, he would shred the time..

"reckless precision" ;)

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Faster1 wrote: I would imagine that if you threw Guy Martin the keys,, give him a warm up lap or 2 ,, he would shred the time..

"reckless precision" ;)
you can not expect anybody - not even Stoner on his 213 - to brake the lap record after 2 laps. Guess you need about 200 laps before you really know the track and get the better f it ;)
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus