Racing behind the safety car.

A forum for discussion of racing involving those evil vehicles with far too many wheels: F1, A1GP, WRC, ALMS, Endurance racing, WTCC, DTM, etc etc.
heng47

Racing behind the safety car.

Post by heng47 »

I've always wondered how it is actually possible to have a race behind one.
Do they actually race?
Or is it just another glorified parade?

I don't actually watch F1, but I read the news and race results. More interesting.

The Scribe

Re: Racing behind the safety car.

Post by The Scribe »

heng47 wrote:Do they actually race?
Or is it just another glorified parade?
Just a parade. They drive around quite slow behind the safety car and cannot overtake, so you cannot consider it a race, but the laps and lap times count.
heng47 wrote:I don't actually watch F1, but I read the news and race results. More interesting.
There are not many things worth to watch in a dry F1 race. I use to see the start, have a look once or twice to see the pit stops, and the end of the race to check nothing has changed in almost two hours.

TwoStroke Institute

Re: Racing behind the safety car.

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Weeelllllll the last race at Abu Dhabi is a F1 script writers wet dream. Three drivers with a chance of winning, 2 team mates and a team that seem to be in open warfare , a former champion that has had some dubious help from a team mate leading the championship. Some say the Teutonic golden haired boy would rather a rival manufacturer win rather than his team mate. In F1 team orders are forbidden , but the pit to driver comms are broadcast and rest assured there will be come carefully crafted nudge nudge wink wink pre-arranged words to let drivers know what to do. Should be riveting stuff.
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke