RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler

Discussion of all forms of motorcycle racing which don't require tarmac for racing: Motocross, MX1, MX2, Supercross, Supermoto, Dirt Track, Flat Track, Trials, Enduro, Rally Raid, Dakar, Drag racing, Grass Track, Hillclimbing, etc etc etc.
motomania

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler

Post by motomania »

With a heavy heart and a tear in my eye I wanna say goodbye to Danny "Magoo" Chandler, who left us on May 4. One of the best MXers ever to throw a leg over a bike (IMO), who did Freestyle long before they had a name for it or there was any Metal Militia, etc. A great guy a friend.

I'll never forget the first day we met 33 years ago when I thought I was out riding hard on some trails near his place in Foresthill, CA. He went by me like I'd found reverse. I was a fairly quick amateur MX racer at the time and he was a fairly new pro. After I fell down numerous times trying to follow/catch him, I finally just rode back to the staging area. He was already loaded up and ready to pull out. He said that he'd hoped he didn't spook me. He realized that did nothing but make me mad so he smiled that big damn grin and said "Hell, don't worry about, I pass everybody". That broke the tenseness of the moment and we both laughed. He then said "My name is Danny but my friends call me Magoo". I immediately started laughing and said "No shit, you do pass everybody".

We weren't the best buds in the world but had kept in touch some with each other through the years. I haven't seen him since the GP in '05 but thought about him a couple months ago and thoguht that it was ironic that we'd both ended up with wheels instead of haaving working legs (although in entirely different ways) & that we needed to get together and bang wheels again.

Brad Lackey had coordinated a gathering of donations from companies and individuals so that they could customize a van that Magoo could use to continue to teach kids and parents about motorcycle and MX safety as well as help with the D.A.R.E. program. They were putting th finishing touches on the van with some customized graphics. He would have gotten the van in the very near future.

Damn! I need a towel, again. Godspeed Mr. Magoo, you were magical.

Mick

"I’m not crying 'cause I feel so sorry for you, I’m crying for me" - Toby Keith
"I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the required equipment." - Me

RatsMC

Re: RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler

Post by RatsMC »

Wow. I really have no word. Thank you for your.

Chandler is s legebd from a time I think most everyone has forgotten.

phil

Post by phil »

Nice one Mick I almosted posted this myself when I learned of his death.
R.I.P. Magoo, I know it's always said but you really have been an inspiration to so many people.

ipso

Post by ipso »

I was a kid at this USGP in Calabasas. My first motorcycle race. Everyone was going hog wild cheering Chandler on. It was just surreal how much faster he would float sections compared to the world’s best. Just flat-out in sections. Impossible stuff. I remember that most, but also that every rider would slow way down and follow/accelerate through the downhill terrain of Devil’s Drop, but on that last lap Danny launched that 500 out almost to flat in Moto 1 trying to ... I’ll not spoil it.

I later acquired a 1985 CR500 (my first motorcycle – how cool is that! I was 6’5” in high school though) as a direct result of being so stoked about that race weekend. Plenty of time learning out at Glamis on that girl. I may still have damage on the sole of my foot from kickstart kickback.

Magoo was a God. He was my first hero. RIP

Richo

Post by Richo »

Brilliant video, brings back some memories. Those guys who rode thos old 2 stroke 500's worked bloody hard. Having owned a 1985 KX500, I know how hard it is, and to push like Magoo did here was pretty amazing, he was clearly the fast guy out there.