Japanese flattracking.

Discussion of all forms of motorcycle racing which don't require tarmac for racing: Motocross, MX1, MX2, Supercross, Supermoto, Dirt Track, Flat Track, Trials, Enduro, Rally Raid, Dakar, Drag racing, Grass Track, Hillclimbing, etc etc etc.
heng47

Japanese flattracking.

Post by heng47 »

Didn't want to interrupt the King Kenny thread so here it is.

It's called auto-race here in Japan, it's not a real motorsport anymore, just another gambling avenue like horse 'racing'.

They look weird. And since they only turn left, the handles have been 'optimised'. As you can see, there is no front brake.

And this is how they dress.

Here's a better video, streamed directly from the Japan Auto Race Association (or something like that), together with compulsory cheesy japanese-variety-tv-style introductions.
http://autorace.jp/information/2007/asx ... nner01.asx

slojo

Re: Japanese flattracking.

Post by slojo »

that's pretty interesting, kinda like speedway on tarmac without getting as sideways.

why is the start line so staggered? looked a bit haphazard and the guy on the outside (pole?) had a clear advantage

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

That is pretty...ummm..kooky.

Cool stuff but very odd (as are many things Japanese - the more time I spend there the less I feel I understand what the hell is going on).

It looks like they are wearing American football pads.

heng47

Post by heng47 »

Only found out about their existence after I caught a glance of one in a proper motorsport magazine last month. The engines are supposedly really really old, decades old.

Other stuff I found on Wikipedia

Raced on tarmac tracks using bikes with two gears
the bikes have no brakes and are designed with the left handlebar higher than the right
An average rider usually spends half a year living away from home.
There are eight riders in each six-lap race.
riders are graded according to their results and these grades are used to ascertain racing positions, with the higher graded riders starting from the back grids

And the bombshell
one of the well-known riders is the veteran Mitsuo Abe, better known as the father of late MotoGP and World Superbike star Norifumi.

phil

Post by phil »

my thoughts have pretty much been covered.
staggered start....american footballers riding heavily motorized schwinn's...
i was going to ask what are they on, i initally thought it was shale but its tarmac eh...
why such skinny tyres?
the back wheel may not step out but hay, the angle of dangle is certainly there.
kooky?...true...fun looking?...also true.

the rossi leg wave in the land of the rising sun.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

That is completely bizarre, and absolutely fascinating. Fantastic!
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

:shock: I though everyone had watched On Any Sunday 2 at the movies as a teenager?
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

Pantah

Post by Pantah »

This racing is purely run for gambling.People dont go with the family to enjoy a day out... :roll:
The order of dodgyness goes like this...Boat racing,bike racing ( also known as auto race),Keirin bicycle racing and last,horse racing.All forms are for gambling.
Alcohol is not allowed at Keirin bicycle racing ( people can get a little emotional when they lose...)
There are channels on satellite TV purely devoted to these forms of racing. You can watch it everyday.
There is a boat racing facility in Hamamatsu.... worth a visit if you are in Japan and going to the Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki factories for a look.

james786

Post by james786 »

I am big fan of motorbike racing and I usually watch all racing event either live or recorded. But I had never seen this kinda of bike racing. Its a new event for me. I am going to check it for more details. Thanks for this pretty good stuff. I am james Thomasn and its my first step here and i wanna to say hello to all of you.

motomania

Post by motomania »

Welcome James, this is a great place for a motorbike racing fan with lots of knowlegeable people from all over the globe. Welcome to the our mania.
"I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the required equipment." - Me

Pantah

Post by Pantah »

james786 wrote:I am big fan of motorbike racing and I usually watch all racing event either live or recorded. But I had never seen this kinda of bike racing. Its a new event for me. I am going to check it for more details. Thanks for this pretty good stuff. I am james Thomasn and its my first step here and i wanna to say hello to all of you.
Good ,James...Welcome to the forum.This racing is not racing in its true form.....Gambling invites organised crime here in Asia.....Forget this miserable stuff and get thee to the real gig...SBK......Moto GP.....
Enjoy....