Riders and martial arts

Discussion of all forms of motorcycle racing which don't require tarmac for racing: Motocross, MX1, MX2, Supercross, Supermoto, Dirt Track, Flat Track, Trials, Enduro, Rally Raid, Dakar, Drag racing, Grass Track, Hillclimbing, etc etc etc.
eikka99

Riders and martial arts

Post by eikka99 »

Just wondering: is any of the riders known for practicing martial arts? As we do know martial arts does excellent job for body control and coordination. And it looks cool too. At least Maria Herreras instagram page indicates that she is interested in body control practices, for example with monocycle and other ways.

tack

Re: Riders and martial arts

Post by tack »

The Kawasaki ninja riders are martial artists but no one sees them do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eikka99

Post by eikka99 »

If you watch 2014 Qatar race 2 in very slow motion you can actually see them using poisoned throwing stars!

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

eikka99 wrote:Just wondering: is any of the riders known for practicing martial arts? As we do know martial arts does excellent job for body control and coordination. And it looks cool too. At least Maria Herreras instagram page indicates that she is interested in body control practices, for example with monocycle and other ways.
A lot of them go climbing for this reason, and trials riding.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Didn't Colin Edwards save Ben Bostrom's life once while climbing, grabbed him when he slipped (or the other way around?)

Grahluk

Riders and martial arts

Post by Grahluk »

Ok something up my alley here. I play around on bikes & am an avid race fan but my first love & most blood/sweat/tears has been spent in various martial arts. I am a lifelong martial artist who has recently passed the stage in life of hanging up the fighting & competition. My practice is moving more towards Jack LaLane than Jon "Bones" Jones now. I don't know of any MotoGP or SBK level riders who train in martial arts. I did read an article of a rider who I think was maybe BSB who trained in mixed martial arts. There are definitely benefits for a rider in martial arts.

Conditioning wise I think many riders are on gym & road work programs that draw from the same well as conditioning programs for competition fighters. So from that they may not need to devote the time to develop the fighting skills that do not help them on track (maybe in the gravel trap but that's something else). There's also real risks of injury in both training to fight or the more display/exhibition aims of martial arts. If a rider is going to risk injury in developing skills they're better served on a flat track bike than learning how to escape a clinch or do an arial into the splits while twirling a chinese saber. The later aren't transferrable skills and are every bit as difficult as racing motorcycles.

There are some other benefits though that I think could be helpful for racers. Specifically something like tai chi or other internal martial art related systems. They really work on developing spatial awareness, fine muscle control, breath control, efficiency of movement, & focus. Riders develop much of that in the narrow application of riding a bike but one of these disciplines could both broaden that capability & hone it for riding. I don't think riders practicing martial arts would be transformative for any and all nor provide a clear edge over the competition above what a given rider's personal needs or approach to off bike training requires.

Lorenzo strikes me as the closest example of martial arts principles transferred into a riding style. It's known that he was introduced to and still practices some sort of meditation system to calm & focus himself. It didn't give him his riding style but looks like it's informed it. The way he moves on the bike without looking like he's moving much, the way he transitions on&off brakes and throttle disturbing the bike as little as possible, all resulting in looking slow but being faster. That's pretty much tai chi on a bike.