Recent comments

• The Crystal Ball: A Few Predictions For The 2012 MotoGP Season   2 years 47 weeks ago

Thanks all for your comments and predictions. A couple of things I wanted to point out.

Firstly, in Moto3, Romano Fenati. I'm really impressed by the Italian, which is why I gave him a mention in my Italian Resurgence heading. But Fenati made a number of headlines during the recent test, while Antonelli went slightly under the radar. It will be interesting to see how the two compare.

Then Bradley Smith. I like Smith, and really like his intelligence. Pairing him with crew chief Tom Jojic was a very strong move by Tech 3, and the two have developed the bike a lot. But there are only two Tech 3 machines on the grid, making development more difficult with limited data. And though Smith has plenty of intelligence, he lacks a little bit of killer instinct, a lot like his teammate in Tech 3's MotoGP squad, Andrea Dovizioso.

"The loss of face implied - that a factory with a specialized racing department capable of building prototype engines suitable solely for racing could learn something by examining the internals of an engine that is basically a hopped-up version of a production bike - will prevent Honda, Yamaha and Ducati from taking that step."

VERY good point David. I would have to agree with pretty much all of the above, with the exception of Scott Redding, he flattered to deceive last year, after a good testing season. I'd love to see Bradley up there, because it'll give him a massive boost before the step up to the M1 next year...but I'm not sure it'll happen, but I hope it does. I think Crazy Joe might just calm down enough to make the top 3 come November..

I still think Cal will outshine Dovi this year, then get binned at the end of the season, which, is frankly a crying shame..

The Ducati saga.........VR will get more than a couple of podiums this year, I've no doubt, maaaaaaaaybe, just maaaaaybe a win, but it'll be a miracle..

Nicky will shine more, I have no doubt.

RdP is the dark horse this season, I think no one really knows whether his bike just might function exceptionally good in the wet or on some particular track. And I'd *love* to see him kicking some a$§&s!

and still he's the only one who got away with a dry race victory over the established aliens. To me he also looks more comfortable with the 1000's so I too think that 2 or 3 victories are possible this year.

1) Spies
    2) Stoner
    3) Lorenzo

Few will agree with me for sure but like David, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I have a feeling this year Nicky Hayden is going to have a more successful season, and end up ahead in the standings over Valentino Rossi. While neither of them have had a wonderful time with the Ducati's, I've gotten the feeling that Nicky's been more comfortable on the bike than Vale and it's only Rossi's talent that's kept him (one place) ahead of Nicky over the course of a season. I got a feeling that going to change this year.

• Dani Pedrosa Arrested And Released Over Alleged Yachtmaster Examination Fraud   2 years 47 weeks ago

This is no joke:

I guess he got tired of asking to use Rasputin's, errr Alberto's boat to take his girlfriend on vacation with and then have Alberto tag along

ha!ha!ha!
    Dani is a German. He would never do that. Especially so close to Fool's Day. Gut gemacht David.

MotoGP: Lorenzo, Stoner, Spies
    I just have a sneaking suspicion that Lorenzo has something in store for Stoner this year.

Moto2: Marquez, Espargaro, Smith
    Marquez will claim what lady luck stole from him last year and Pol will finally wrap his head around the Moto2 bike and the young future motogp stars will shine.

Moto3: Vinales, Cortese, Kent
    Vinales will secure the title and make his move to moto2. Romano Fenati will be the newcomer to watch.

Cheating on an exam? What are you a teenager?

So does this make him a badass now or even less of one????

Aren't you a day too late, David? :)

For real, eh? Well, it's better than robbing little old ladies...

Bring on the Gilligan / Skipper jokes!

... is just odd.

• 2012 WSBK Imola Race Two Result   2 years 47 weeks ago

Akira Yanagawa is alive and well, competing in the All Japan Road Race Championship. He was 3rd at Motegi yesterday on, unsurprisingly, a Kawasaki.

I'm putting spies down for 4 wins this year (Laguna Indy Brno and Valencia). He can now ride the gp bike like a superbike if he desires and when the tires start to go off he'll be very strong (as we saw in wsbk )
    I figure stoner Lorenzo and spies will make up the top 3
    Agree with Rossi netting a few podiums.
    Also think rdp will wind up in the top 5 of a dry race this year.

Even the best rider has to stay healthy all year. Stoner probably has the best overall record. It's all about points regardless of how fast you are. Spies didn't do himself any favors last year and Pedrosa always gets hurt. I think 3rd is between the healthiest of those two. Dovi better look for a factory ride in WSB because Spies isn't moving over.

Look pretty accurate to me - I don't see anyone catching Stoner, even with tyre wear and heavier riders etc etc

I expect him to be well ahead by half way through the season and probably lead from start to finish in the championship. Lorenzo will put in a good show and expect to see Pedrosa on the podium more often than not, with Spies not far back.

Other than that it will be the also rans. Expect Rossi and Hayden to bridge the gap to the satellites (and be beaten by them on occasion, especially by the Tech 3s).

I think that we are really going to miss Simoncelli this year and above all else, I hope we get some exciting races.

In all fairness,only the fickle finger of fate can upset the scribe's applecart.
    Well thought out and summed up. Glad you made special mention of IODA/Petrucci. This youngster is seriously tallented,so yes,Ducati do have a fantastic rider option for 2013 should things go awry for them with the latest GP12/rider combo. Of course,Danilo will have to ride the wheels off that IODA Aprilia as Stoner did with the 990 Honda back then to attract their attention at this level.Silly season 2012 will be as interesting as the racing itself in many respects.
    But,sure,at the top of the pile in MGP I have 3 riders locked down for the title,and Dani ain't one of them,as brilliant as he is on his day.

That the championship battle will come down to Stoner Vs. Spies.

I know a lot of people might think I'm nuts, but you just wait and see.

I think this year will see the bigger heavier riders gaining on the brakes.
    Ben will be a lot nearer Lorenzo than last year.
    lets not forget that chatter the Honda was showing.

Oh and the corner speed - will just be as quick.
    I think the Yamaha's Stability under braking may play a big part
    I hope so anyway

I would not be at all surprised to see Rossi retire if he is not able to put the Ducati on the top step of the podium at least once. Or finishes off the podium most of the time. I mean, think about it: we're talking about Rossi, the guy 'who just won' for so many years. Now he might be, again this year, more or less just riding around, struggling to think up more reasons (excuses?) each week, and may not even always beat non-factory riders. Would he still have hope the Ducati/Rossi package would be more competitive next year? And where would he go? I cannot see either Yamaha or Honda having enough interest to foot his hefty salary; it's not like they lack very good alternatives. We'll see...

Ducati has the biggest problem. If Rossi departs, they are left with Hayden as their top rider, not an enviable position. Cannot see any of the other top guys jumping on that bike, which has proved practically a career killer (e.g. Melandri). I hope Hayden really does bring enough off the track, because IMO he does not do nearly enough on it.

Despite the rumored demands from Yamaha that Spies do more this year, I see it as unlikely that he'll be (bad enough to warrant being) dumped. After all, he's only had one full year on a real factory bike; compare to how many Hayden has been allowed.

Looking forward to see what happens with Dovizioso and Crutchlow. Also Bradl.

I disagree somewhat... Yea, for sure he had a hard time adapting from the Superbike style to the GP style (although he did better than most). But, he is so mechanical and methodical to his approach of riding, I think he will be better this year as he continues to refine his style.

Also, he is a racer's racer. He really shines when he is on the heals of someone and gets a whiff of an overtake. So with the tires falling off more this year during a race, I think we will see his aggressiveness really pay off.

Not enough to regularly beat Stoner of Lorenzo, and assuming he gets better starts, but we should see him up at the front more this year.

Apex speed is not going to be the be-all and end-all that it was with the 800s.

• 2012 WSBK Imola Race Two Result   2 years 47 weeks ago

I believe Akira Yanagawa is alive and well. When I saw your comment, I had to do a double take and wonder what rock I'd been living under as I remember seeing pics of him testing/developing the 2011 zx-10r.

is for Randy De Puniet to visit the podium. Which might in turn shake up your CRT predictions, David :)