Recent comments

• 2012 Estoril MotoGP Race Result: Winner Controls Race From The Front   2 years 50 weeks ago

sry guys ...must have arm pump entered that twice.

Hi David,

do you have any info on what front tyres the motogp riders used? I gather that they each had access to two of the new type 21.

Did anyone race on them?

I am pretty sure that everyone testing monday will be trying to get a base line on the new tyre given it will be the only one available going forward.

As far as tracks no longer on the calendar, both Rossi and Stoner have won at all of them. Therefore Stoner is ahead as far as the recordbooks are concerned - having won on every track that MotoGP has ever visited (i.e. since the start of the 2003 season).

• 2012 Estoril MotoGP Sunday Round Up: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid   2 years 50 weeks ago

I agree Breganzane.

Sorry David, but this is one of the worst articles I have ever read here. Where you have previously held your standards higher than the very depths of shithouse journalism surrounding our sport (and enforced those standards with an iron fist on your own forums), this piece of work appears to be a forced effort to express your very own frustrations. That's fine of course, but perhaps it's better suited to a future David Emmett blog, or twitter rage.

Please do not speak on behalf of MotoGP fans - because they aren't only split right down the middle, but are also sliced up into many different pieces of pie - all having their own likes and dislikes, and what they feel satisfies their craving for 'entertainment'.

Me personally, I just want to see the best racers in the world go at it. I don't care for Rossi's post-race celebrations.. a big standing wheelie or passionate fist punch is enough for me. I don't care if the winner wins by 2mins or .002 seconds. Yes I'd love to see a heap of passes.. but we are talking about the very top guys in the world here. The best of the best. On the best machinery. To see them on the timesheets within half a second of each other.. consistently, on whatever track you throw at them - that there is astounding enough to keep me interested. Watching Stoner throw the RCV around, or seeing Lorenzo slice through the chicane like a hot knife through butter.. that's entertainment to me. In super slow mo it's almost better than sex (and my sex life isn't that bad either!).

Like it or not, he's there to race. The sponsors don't appear to be caring as much as you apparently do, and why is that? Because Repsol and Honda get more airtime than anyone at the moment. Why? Because he's #1 and because he wins races. Not because he's a darling of the sport, and if you need evidence of that.. look how much airtime Vale gets these days. Sweet FA - and they'd LOVE to be showing their prized possession.. but the results just aren't there.

Go ahead and interview someone from Marlboro or Ducati. Ask them if they had a choice, would they pay millions and millions for someone who waves at the cameras and does his little jig - but finishes mid pack, or someone who simply dominates the field and wins races? And no, in this day and age they can't have both.. they actually have to make a decision.

These guys are the best.. and the results are what they are.

Thankfully you get to watch Moto2 prior, that way you can get your fairing kissing over and done with.. then watch the elite up against one another (oh and a whole heap of slower bikes crashing and having mechanical failures that are the current effort to give you what you crave in the top category.. ha!).

Sorry mate, but you can't ask to see the absolute best guys go at it on the best machinery in the world.. and then complain about the results.

The Ducati's typical shift points, as well as maximum observed RPM, are 1200~1300 RPM higher than anything else on the grid. It's hit ~17,650 during WOT on occasion. Barring the installation of alien technology, the most likely explanation is a short-stroke engine.

Paddy, I agree with you.

When MotoGP mourned last October at the passing of SuperSic, it was because of love that we had for him as the sweet young man enjoying life off track, but more for the man he was with his visor down on track. A guy with the heart of a lion and someone driven to win. He was someone that we fans had been craving because of how genuine and determined he was.

Cal Crutchlow has that same thing that we fans can identify with on track and why it was that yesterday during QP I shouted when he had Pole for that brief second - I will grant in advance his off track demeanor is a little more surly! But we want to root for men that want mix it up and fight.

Juxtapose that with the prima donna and pretender that is #99 - calling for team orders the thrid race into the season. I find that disgusting - a strong word, i know, but that is what it is.

I disagree with what David wrote, that Casey clears off too much. He is willing to scrap, as the last few Laguna Secas will speak to, but someone has to be able to catch him first.

Side note, but I feel like I should soon be changing my name to Spies for WSBK

You would think that the various computer systems would have a 'reset' or 'synch' function that the rider could use when/if the computer glitches. I'm really surprised that the corner-by-corner mapping lacks a 'disable' option as well as a way to manually synch the dumb thing if it gets confused. These seem to be basic, obviously useful features....

Engineers of all types tend to possess rather limited imaginations, and are often confounded when their carefully designed gadgets encounter the real world - and fall flat on their face.

Great video, Brick!

If the new Ducati engine has a notably lower exhaust tone, we can probably assume that the 'Real 1000cc' bike has arrived! What are the odds of Ducati releasing onboard video/audio from Monday's 'New Engine' test? (Zero to none, I'd guess!)

Why should Lorenzo have won at Jerez and Estoril? This is Stoner on a Honda, not Stoner on a Ducati. I agree that they are two tracks that the Yamaha should be relatively stronger on, but lets not forget that Pedrosa is also normally stronger at these two tracks. Pedrosa had one of his best wins at Estoril last year. The fact that Stoner has won on these two tracks despite arm pump and chatter tells us all we need to know about how the rest of the season is likely to pan out, provided he is not adversely affected by the arm pump that was the only reason he didn't win in Qatar.

I would loose respect for any man that played cat and mouse games with his opponents to create false spectacle.

Motogp is what it is, and will be for as long as stoner has his head on straight and is on competitive machinery. I suspect that the removal of electronics would increase the action through the field, but ultimately would increase stoner's dominance at the sharp end.

Tracks no longer on the calendar where Rossi has won: Rio, Welkom, Suzuka, Shanghai, Donington. That's all I can remember. I don't think Rossi ever won in Turkey.

It's the first time I've been really disappointed in an MM report, so I reckon the various guys on here with more polarised opinions than myself will feast on it. I'll steer clear of the obvious Stoner/Rossi fire that David claims to be tired of but which he has perfectly fanned in this report.

On other points, I'm really amazed if Ducati really is running something around 930cc. History tells us that attempts to run at sub-class capacity always end up punched out to the maximum.

Regarding removing FBW - I'm sure the fans would all breathe a sigh of relief with the prospect of a return to the tyre smoking early 990's. But really, I think time has moved on and nothing will get back to those days - they were under-developed brutes and they (factories, suspension, tyres et al) were too busy working out the big stuff to worry about the details. If the rules (except perhaps spec tyre) had not been changed at all we'd probably still be basically where we are today. Banning FBW would only lead to development of engine control by some other more nefarious means (spec ECU notwithstanding).

I disagree. I think Lorenzo could still learn some from Rossi. All greats never stop learning. At worst, he could help him with development with the M1 because the way it stands now, that Yamaha/Lorenzo combination has not and will not have an answer for Casey. A challenge for Stoner would certainly be welcomed.

^ Agreed

I think it really is time to take a long hard look at moto2 and apply some, if not all of the principals from that class to motogp. I don't know why but today was one of the first occasions when it seemed to me like pedrosa and lorenzo almost 'settled' for second and third place and that for all their efforts they couldn't race with stoner. That is, of course pure speculation and i think having seen the incredible efforts of Pol Espagaro in the moto2 race i was expecting something of the same in the motogp race. The over importance of electronics has been discussed a million times over but it is time something was done. I have nothing against stoner, his job, after all is to crush the opposition but to the casual viewer this is not the kind of racing that would make me a fan. Its a shame really but changing to 1000cc has ultimately changed nothing and i wonder if we will get to see even one race which has the kind of intensity that we saw at laguna seca with casey and rossi and catulunya with rossi and lorenzo. It must be hard for eurosport to decide on a 'race of the year' these days....

Very well put.

No sir, Cal's words were not exaggerated. 1s was a carefully maintained lead. Casey only pushed when he needed to, that was pretty clear. To maintain that kind of gap, as he did in Jerez, shows the gap might as well have been 5s, as George never looked like he was going to pass, let alone show Casey a wheel.

You've shown a bit of anti-Stoner sentiment here. I can see the me-toos now jumping on and calling Stoner boring, calling MotoGP boring, lamenting the fact there was barely any overtaking, that 1000's are just as bad now as 800's, etc etc. I find this a disspointing angle you have taken, and certainly a long way form being impartial journalism. In Casey's words 'I'm not going to slow down and let them catch up. The rest of the field will have to go faster'. Amen.

"These are the people who pay his wages, and on occasion, it would be good for him to take them into consideration."

You call for Casey to race according to what MotoGP fans want ?? Stoner is not the fans darling, he never will be someone like Rossi who fawns over the public, craves acceptance, craves publicity, loves the hero-worship. Stoner could care less - he is as pure a racer as they come.

Stoner and Honda have set the bar sky-high. To me, this means the field will have to push in all sorts of areas to try and be competitive. Boring ? Absolutely not. A fantastic racing spectacle is nice, but racing will not deliver you that every time. Deal with it.

Electronics rue the day again for a rider. I'll post it again:

Seeing the bikes completely crossed up on corner exit is a thing us old men remember.

This race, with that visible chatter on the 213v just cemented the championship. When Honda cures that chatter problem we will be right back where 2011 left off. The Honda dominates out of the turns on corner exits. It comes off the corners better than the others. When that issue gets solved, it's game over Mario.

Superb ride by Stoner. Lorenzo is going to need a new engine AND for Honda to keep having problems to stop Stoner from putting his hands on the 2012 Trophy. It will take a miracle or very unlikely circumstances for anything but.

Cheers.

I'm guessing that it's the bike that's the problem and not the riders.

• 2012 Estoril MotoGP Saturday Round Up: Sunday Looking Good For Some Racing   2 years 50 weeks ago

Hope is the last thing than a team loss when their star cannot do or are not capable to show that vote of confidence, of course than pedrosa have the blessing of repsol but maybe Honda is showning disappointment in a different way about pedrosa's lack of protagonism, seven years has passed and HRC and repsol is still waiting for a light for dani ¿but what happend? crashes, an incident with hayden, an incident with simoncelli, problems of every type etc etc. and for all in life there's a limit, also Marquez is knocking every time more stronger at HRC door.

Its possible than HRC-Repsol lineup will be Stoner-Marquez, time will tell.

"Rossi said lorenzo learnt a lot from him and the fact that lorenzo wants him back at yamaha means he still has a lot more to learnt from rossi."

It is doubtful that Jorge 'wants' Rossi back as you assert as Jorge was doing no more than being polite and playing the game when he was asked the question that Rossi has paraphrased.

There is little that Lorenzo can learn from Rossi today and dare it be suggested that Rossi learnt as much from Lorenzo as Lorenzo did from Rossi when they were team mates anyhow.

He hasn't won there.
    OTOH, how many tracks have he won which are not on the calendar anymore?

"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put." - Winston Churchill ;-)

Yes sir, Think of the motorcycle as a single bar with two supports. a force applied at one end of the bar with support will produce moments and corresponding reaction forces on the other support automatically. There will be change in potential energy of the bar at various instants of time from the time at which the force was applied (transient system). There will also be a change in the energy across the length of the bar due to the force applied. The technique itself is called energy methods.

And why would it move? hmm, think of fixing the bar close to one end and apply a force . Try to count with an atomic clock how fast the energy transferred from one portion to the other.

and TC WILL NOT have any effect on normal chatter. I am sorry, it was a typo.. i forgot to put NOT. :D

I would imagine the mapping would not only alter the fuel mixture, but also the ignition timing.
    Retarding the timing would decrease engine hp and torque, which would soften the engine performance.

• 2012 WSBK Monza Weekend Round Up: Pirelli Wets   2 years 50 weeks ago

yes, but i am not sure if they put RUBBER layers. I know the radial plies are laid up in layers, but the rubber is not. You need one solid rubber piece to achieve maximum stiffness since rubber itself is very soft compared to the reinforcement plies. Delamination of plies is possible though, but the tire must endure a hard beating to come to that stage. Looking at the picture i felt it was only the rubber which shredded, and not the plies.

if you mean delamination between the rubber tread and the plies, that i can agree, but just the rubber wearing out is simply shredding. But a delamination between the tread and plie will completely fail the tire within a few revolutions. Just my theory.