Recent comments

• 2015 Argentina MotoGP Race Result: Winning The (Extra) Hard Way   5 days 12 hours ago

Then why did he ask Honda fo fill in for Dany? Honda didn't ask him?

...as did his team that he'd cede a bunch of time early and hope to make it up later in the race which was not a given. He knew Marc was very fast with the hard option and that Marc's strategy might pay off. (Rossi also was pretty quick with the hard option.) He didn't know that he'd have enough time to catch Marc at the front with a tire that was just OK early but fast late. But to your point, you also could frame it as Marc gambling -- and losing his bet.

...but when I saw MM93 on the fence laying on the fence and his arms around his head, I realized VR46 has finally gotten inside his head....

Reminded me of Stoner 2008

• 2015 Argentina MotoGP Race Result: Winning The (Extra) Hard Way   5 days 13 hours ago

Yet Rossi chose to very blatantly reference Maradona on the podium therefore the 'wheel of god' seemed a fitting riposte - one controversial event to another, needed some fun poked at it. ;)

• 2015 MotoGP Championship Standings After Round 3, Termas de Rio Hondo, Argentina   5 days 13 hours ago

Wow---what a race---I knew Marquez would not give Vali a clear shot at the lead---Mark was saving his tires for a last-lap charge at Vali---didn't work! The more I watch Vali, the more I am convinced he is the GOAT!!

I'm not sure how good Dovi actually is, I suspect he will show us this year. From memory he is only one of two riders to improve on the Ducati and now that the Ducati has also improved he may well become a force to be reckoned with.

Three years ago i wrote on the site that VR should retire rather than be humiliated by the slow motion Ducati train wreck we all saw coming. While it is entirely too early to celebrate anything given Marquez is a very gifted rider who will undoubtedby come out swinging, it is amazing to see #46 on top of leader board with two wins from three. It is inspirational and a lesson in perseverance.
    A dogfight all the way through the checkered flag at Valencia is on my bucket list & Marquez/Rossi would be the stuff of legend.

The observation is not lost on me but it does Rossi a huge disservice.
    That was simply a racing incident. Hard but fair.
    The "hand of god" was a spit in the face of the game and all who play by the rules.
    Maradona brazenly cheated and deserves to be remembered for that.

While Casey is/was as capable as any other double champion at fighting this is hardly the kind of racing he'd be craving. History already showed us that. He never gelled with Rossi's attitude and Marquez is much more along those lines.

The guy seems happy, these races involve more discussion, longer interviews, more questioning at the next race. Isn't that one of the things he hated. Dude had a great career, time to start letting it go and respect his THREE year old decision.

Travelled from the states to Assen twice in last 5 years. Awesome venue! You will love it....and the men piss everywhere and anywhere. No one pays the $.50 to use the toilets. F'in hilarious! Never seen anything like it. If you're under 6 feet tall, you're going to feel very short in the food lines!

Rossi was certainly the faster rider here, and given that we know MM does not ever just lie down, then the most likely thing is that MM was going to try to upset Rossi's flow enough to stay with him. Optimistic, but probably what was going on.

Maybe for Ducati!?....wait a minute, uhhh nope. Not going to happen! Maybe Rossi's teammate!? ....uhhh, nope. Not going to happen! Any other inferior team....definitely not going to happen.

Rossi said from the first practice session that the extra-hard would be his race tire, and he spent Friday and Saturday setting his bike up for it. What do you mean, Rossi "gambled that an extra hard rear tire was his eventual ticket to the front"?

... a massive ego trip in the span of 1/10th of a second. Marquez' disbelief was palpable in that fraction of a moment, he simply couldn't comprehend or accept that Rossi was about to march past him a mere 2 minutes from the end of the race.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate Marquez and he seems like a great guy... but he was clearly on cloud 9 and far from reality in that moment. A more grounded racer would've allowed the pass, then likely retaliated in the full lap remaining and possibly won the race.

How many times have we seen Rossi dismantle his rivals? This looks eerily familiar.

I was going to post, but you nailed it!

• 2015 Argentina MotoGP Race Result: Winning The (Extra) Hard Way   5 days 14 hours ago

Your list is accurate.
    But your aphorism is brilliant.
    Cheers, mate.

I had the same thought when I watched the replay. I doubt Rossi was turning this into a game of "road rash" but it did look kind of suspicious. Also, you could argue that if this was a game of Road Rash, then Marc was a willing participant by trying to run Rossi of track.
    PS I don't really think they were trying to make each other crash, just get in each others way

I'd like to know what Honda is thinking right now since they didn't let Casey come back? Right now Marc is fighting Vale and Ducati alone. Look at what Aoyama didn't even finish! I would have loved to see Casey out there today! I bet he would have done a lot better than Aoyama! But I hope they rethink it and let Casey have a go! Right now he would be like a Pitbull on a leash that is about to break! This racing is what he would love to be battling in and if Suzuka goes well he would probably want to come back next year with or without Honda.

What a fantastic ending to a race that was frankly a bit boring in the middle. Never was a big fan of Rossi or Marquez, being a fan of the best is too easy. Been saying all along that someone has to get to Marquez and mix it up with him. Glad to see Rossi do it. Not sorry to say I'm glad Marquez couldn't restart, high time Mr Lucky started having regular luck...

"Rossi is riding like and 18 year old on a motorbike".... what? No, he is riding like the savvy 36 year old multi-time champion that he is. Completely schooled the youngster. Out-smarted him in every way. Great race.

Rossi once said (forgive me if the quote isn't perfect) "a lot of racers think because they're leading, they're winning" Today was a perfect example of that! What a race!!!.....and WSBK wasn't too shabby either!

after the race was over? I had time to kill, and I needed to make up for the first two races not quite being barn-burners.

I wish we could have seen more of Crutchlow and Ianone's battle near the end. Also, there was a huge pack in the middle that all finished within like three seconds. That might have been fun to see. Can't blame them too much for locking in at the front, though.

This season has been unbelievably awesome so far, reminding me of 2006 with the number of riders capable of winning on any given day. Now all we need is one of the satellite riders to ride on fire like Elias in Estoril so that we can finally see another satellite rider on the top step. Hernandes tried today, but he obviously took "on fire" a little too literally...

I wonder that same thing. I could see it happen. These guys all have big egos, and I don't think Lorenzo is going to want to play Number Two to anybody, ESPECIALLY a guy he graciously accepted back into the garage because he was no longer a threat.

On the other hand, I don't know how well that would work out for him. Lorenzo is a special rider, so he'd be fast on anything, but that Yamaha particularly suits what he is best at doing. Unfortunately, this style seems to be leaving him unable to fight with other riders this season, as he's left open to being block-passed unless he rides off into the sunset.

Also, the Michelins might throw everything up in the air again, so moving factories might be jumping the gun. All of these things would have to be going through his head.

As to your first two sentences... A tiny, cynical part of me wonders this as well. I don't think Rossi swerved to hit him or anything, but I suppose it's possible he took a wider entrance in the turn than usual. Even in this case, I don't think this would be for the purpose of collecting Marquez, but rather to block him from attempting a return pass. This happens in just about every race--and definitely EVERY Moto3 race, and 99% of the time the trailing rider does the sensible thing: Roll off so they're not collected. You got beaten. Deal with it. Therefore, I believe Rossi when he says the second collision caught him by surprise.

You know what, though? I came to the conclusion that, even in the most cynical case of Rossi intentionally collecting Marquez' front wheel (which really does seem ludicrous), this is one of the rare times when I'd be fine with it. "Seriously, I'm half a second a lap faster than you, and you're going to broadside me after I make a clean pass and then hold the throttle on like I'm going to just give up? Uh... here you go..."

Still, though, I'm pretty sure it was just a mistake by Marquez, not anything on Rossi's part.

... that tactic would be hard to pull off at such a fast, flowing track such a Rio Hondo... Somewhere twisty and 'slow' like Laguna has a much higher chance of success imo.

since I yelled at the TV like that. I must have looked like Rossi's people when he made the last lap last corner pass of Lorenzo at Catalunya all those years ago. Marquez tried to rough it, but ended up on the floor. He is clearly not used to the confident contender Rossi. He has only known the humble not quite fast enough Rossi. And that is not the same Rossi as Lorenzo, Stoner, Gibernau, and Biaggi know. Marquez was in the wrong, but Rossi knew where he was and in my HUMBLE opinion due to the fact I have seen him work people while they are behind him, (Stoner 2008)... gave Marquez a lesson that no one else has ever seemed to be able to give.

But back to the yelling, from when Rossi passed Dovi and started to close down the gap to Marquez, (standing up muttering "Rossi....Rossi"). Then as he caught Marquez, "Rossi! Rossi!" Then after "The Incident".

"ROSSILlISIMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Always proves me wrong when I doubt him. This dude is magic. He is a living Peter Pan. Two history makers that are Multi Time World Champions on track on top form at the same time battling. Both with a killer instinct that is of such a ruthless and cutthroat level that make everyone else seem, soft. Priceless this year. Absolutely priceless.