Another Week, Another Cancellation: Mugello And Barcelona MotoGP Rounds Postponed

Another week, another motorcycle race postponed, with no date set for rescheduling. This week it is the turn of the Mugello and Barcelona rounds of MotoGP, scheduled to take place on May 31st and June 7th respectively. Today, the FIM, IRTA, and Dorna announced that the Italian and Catalunya rounds of MotoGP have been postponed, and no new date has been set for them to take place.

With Mugello and Barcelona postponed, the first race on the calendar is now the German round at the Sachsenring, due to be held on June 21st. The postponement of Barcelona also means the loss of the second post-race test for the MotoGP class, after the test at Jerez was also lost. Whether those tests will be replaced is unknown at this time.

This is just one more in a rolling series of postponements, as Dorna and the FIM wait for the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak to run its course and settle into more predictable waters. That is why the races have not been rescheduled on new dates. Those dates are just as likely to change as things stand at the current moment.

The press release from Dorna appears below:


Gran Premio d’Italia Oakley and Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya postponed

Due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, the two events have been postponed

Tuesday, 07 April 2020

The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports regret to announce the postponement of the Gran Premio d’Italia Oakley and Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya, which were set to be held at the Autodromo del Mugello from the 29th to the 31st of May and at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya from the 5th to the 7th of June, respectively. The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has obliged the two events to be rescheduled.

As the situation remains in a state of constant evolution, new dates for these Grands Prix, as well as the recently-postponed French and Spanish GPs, cannot be confirmed until it becomes clearer when exactly it will be possible to hold the events. A revised calendar will be published as soon as available.

Source: 

Back to top

Comments

Even late June is far too soon to relax social distancing, we would simply go straight back to where we are now.

My guess is September at the earliest, and only on continental Europe (road transport will be the safest option) - which means we're really just looking at a handful of exhibition races, rather than a meaningful championship.

As someone said, winter is coming. 3 in a row. Ezpeleta now says no racing without vaccines, so that's probably 2021, perhaps late 2021/22.

According to Speedweek, Dorna has been informed that there will be no sporting events in Australia in 2020 or 2021. Looks like WSBK in February was the last time we'll see Philip Island with an international race. :(

Not sure where this came from.  I can't find any confirmation on Australian media outlets and you can still buy tickets for the 2020 event.

... still a bit depressing. And now this talk of travel bans for maybe the next 18 months! I think I'm going to treat it that Carmelo was having a down day (completely understandable) when he said that and in a few months this will all start to look better.