Brno, Czech Republic
Testing is underway at Brno, with the weather considerably better than it has been for the race weekend. Temperatures are higher, and clouds less frequent. Jorge Lorenzo leads the way as the riders shortly before the riders take a break for lunch, the Movistar Yamaha rider breaking into the 1'55 mark late in the morning.
First out of the gate this morning was Marc Marquez, eager to get to work on the grip problems which plagued him during yesterday's race, and saw him finish off the podium for the first time since 2012. Marquez is currently third fastst, just behind his teammate Dani Pedrosa, the man who won the race yesterday. Both Repsol Honda riders have a 2015 version of the Honda RC213V, and both have already put in laps on the bike. The bike is visually very similar to the 2014 machine.
Leon Camier was an early crasher, coming of just ten minutes after the session started. he was unhurt, but the bike needed significant repairs to be able to continue. Loris Capirossi has been out riding the Open Honda, and he will be testing the Forward Yamaha later today as well. Kenny Noyes is also testing the Avintia bike, as the American rider has strong ties with Kawasaki, who he races for in the Spanish championship. Noyes is taking his time to get up to speed, currently over three seconds behind regular Avintia rider Mike Di Meglio.
Press releases from the MotoGP teams and Bridgestone after Sunday's race at Brno:
Press releases after Sunday's races at Brno:
The hot-hand fallacy finally caught up with Marc Marquez. His amazing streak of consecutive wins stays at ten, the Spaniard being beaten for the first time this year. In his twenty-ninth race in the MotoGP class, Marquez and his crew finally failed to find a good enough set up to win, or even make it onto the podium. The Repsol Honda man has only missed out on the podium twice before, once at Mugello last year, when he crashed, and once at Phillip Island, when he was disqualified from the tire fiasco race.
Defeat had been waiting in the wings for Marquez for a while now. Look solely at the points table, and his dominance looks complete. But go back and look at his winning margin, and his advantage has not looked quite so large. Of his ten wins, only two were by a considerable margin: one at Austin, where he has always been better than the rest; one at Assen, where rain created large gaps. His advantage at Argentina and Indianapolis was 1.8 seconds, at Jerez, Le Mans and the Sachsenring under a second and a half. Marquez could only eke out victory at Qatar, Mugello and Barcelona, races he won by a half a second or less. At most races, Marquez was winning by a slender margin indeed, lapping on average just five or six hundredths of a second quicker than his rivals. It was enough, but it was really not very much at all.
Marquez' slender advantage over his rivals was a sign of just how close they really were. Valentino Rossi, Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa had all come close to beating Marquez, and in the case of Pedrosa at Barcelona, Marquez had been forced to delve deep into his bag of tricks to beat his teammate. Marquez' talent may have loaded the dice he was rolling, but eventually they would fall another way. "People said winning was easy for me," Marquez told the Spanish media, "but I know how hard it was."
The minimum age limit for the Moto3 class is to dropped for the winner of the Spanish CEV Moto3 championship. In a meeting at Brno, the Grand Prix Commission approved a proposal for the winner of the CEV Moto3 to be allowed to compete in the Moto3 world championship the season after winning the CEV.
The rule change will mean that Fabio Quartararo, the young Frenchman currently leading the CEV Moto3, will be allowed to start in Moto3 in 2015. The Frenchman is currently 15, and does not turn 16 until 20th April. If this rule had not been changed, then Quartararo would have been forced to miss the first two races of the 2015 season.
The official justification for the rule change is that the CEV is now a championship run under the auspices of the FIM, and therefore has a higher status than a normal national championship. The level in that championship is clearly high, as demonstrated by the results of Jorge Navarro in Moto3, drafted in to replace Livio Loi.
Race report follows.
Race report follows.
MotoGP looks certain to be returning to the Brno circuit for 2015, after the local region of South Moravia guaranteed financing for the race for next year. In addition, talks are continuing to extend financing for the race beyond the 2015 season.
The race in Brno had been in doubt for some time now. The circuit, owned by Karel Abraham Sr, father of Cardion AB rider, has struggled to pay the sanctioning fee demanded by Dorna, despite being the best-attended round of the series (over 142,000 turned up to watch the race in 2013 at the spacious, wooded Czech circuit). The circuit has previously received funding from the Czech government, but that has been withdrawn.
Now, the South Moravian region has stepped in to guarantee the 2.5 million euro sanctioning fee. The event reportedly generates around 35 million euros in revenue for businesses in the area, and is an important contributor to the local economy. Keeping the MotoGP round at the circuit is key for the regional authorities.
The deal agreed guarantees funding for the 2015 round, but talks will continue for future races. Both Dorna and the circuit intend to sign a long-term deal to keep the race at the track.
Below is the press release issued by Dorna explaining the situation:
Brno closing in on fresh MotoGP™ race deal
Race Report follows.
Notes: Mika Kallio crashed towards the end of the session, when he came together with Robin Mulhauser. Kallio was unhurt, and the bike did not suffer too much damage.