Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - MotoGP: Silly season or stupid season?
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We are featuring sections from Oxley's blogs, which are posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
MotoGP: Silly season or stupid season?
So, the silly season started early this year; in mid-January to be precise. Next year it’ll start this year, if you see what I mean.
HRC say they may try to grab Jorge Lorenzo for 2015 and other rumours have the twice MotoGP world champ negotiating with Ducati.
No surprise about Honda. First, why wouldn’t HRC try to buy the man who’s their only serious threat to world domination? It’s the oldest trick in the book: by stealing your average rival’s top player you boost your own hopes, while dismantling those of your opposition.
No surprise about Ducati either. That’s the other oldest trick in the book: you start negotiations with a rival team, or at least spread rumours that you are talking with a rival team, to hike up your salary. Both Lorenzo and Yamaha have denied the Ducati talks, but the paddock whispers alone will help to get Yamaha digging deeper into their pockets for 2015.
In other words, there’s a lot of smoke and mirrors going on here with those involved being very economical with the truth and very generous with untruths. So always read between the lines and hear that noise – it’s the sound of people furiously grinding axes.
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
thecosman2 hours 4 min ago
Rabid_Canine11 hours 27 min ago
avsatishchandra17 hours 18 min ago
Dayle8818 hours 50 min ago
macrocephalic18 hours 52 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Shock: Bayliss Willing to Race
- Gigi Dall'Igna: «Mach den Fahrern keine Vorschriften»
- MotoGP im Free-TV: Die Schweiz als Insel der Seligen
- Lucio Cecchinello (LCR): Nachhilfe für Jack Miller
- Troy Bayliss warnt Jack Miller vor zu vielen Stürzen
- Cal Crutchlow: «Die Honda ist ein Tier – wie ich»
- Gigi Dall'Igna: Wie er die neue Ducati GP15 beurteilt
- Valentino Rossi sieht Dreikampf Honda-Yamaha-Ducati
- CWM-LCR: Ein Londoner Grieche und jede Menge Knete
- Zwei VIP-Tickets für den Sachsenring gewinnen!
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: