Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: An unforgettable duel
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We will be featuring sections of Oxley's blogs, posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website, over the coming months.
The New Year is usually a time to look forward. But the past is an easier place to talk about than the future, so please forgive me for looking backward as I struggle into 2013, having rather overdone it on too many occasions during the past week or so.
This year it’s 20 years since one of the most thrilling, weird and anguished battles for the premier-class World Championship. The 1993 duel between Americans Kevin Schwantz and Wayne Rainey will never be forgotten, and not only for good reasons.
Schwantz versus Rainey will always be one of ‘bike racing’s all-time greatest rivalries – much more real and much nastier than anything we’ve had in MotoGP. The pair hated each other from the moment their career paths collided in US Superbikes in 1986.
“I don’t know why I disliked him,” says Schwantz. “Except that I knew how much he disliked me, so I figured I’d dislike him just as much.”
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Averagerider4 hours 55 min ago
macrocephalic7 hours 17 min ago
DannyV7 hours 26 min ago
Averagerider7 hours 36 min ago
cycomiko8 hours 47 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- MotoGP-Aprilia: Ist genug Wissen vorhanden?
- Davide Brivio (Suzuki): «Es fehlt an Top-Speed»
- Loris Baz (Forward): Gute Tipps von Cal Crutchlow
- Alex Hofmann: «Ein paar Euro für die Leidenschaft»
- Lucio Cecchinello: «Auch Stürze sind lehrreich»
- Michelin-Chef Goubert: Fahrer mit Hinterreifen happy
- MotoGP im Pay-TV: Empfang, Kosten und Alternativen
- Michelin-Stürze: Lorenzo, Dovi, Espargaró, Miller
- Stefan Bradl (15.): «Ich habe kleine Fehler gemacht»
- Valentino Rossi: «Ducati-Vorteile sind seltsam»
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: