2013 WSBK Official Phillip Island Test Day 1 Times: Camier Impresses Ahead Of Haslam

Carlos Checa posted the 6th fastest time, the Alstare Ducati man the last of the close group stretching from 2nd to 6th. That the brand new Panigale should end the first test within three tenths of the fastest man is promising, given the fact that both Ducati men missed the private test, Checa due to illness and teammate Ayrton Badovini due to a massive crash. Badovini is also skipping this test, still resting from the huge highside he had at Lukey Heights.

Kawasaki's Tom Sykes and Fixi Suzuki's Jules Cluzel also ended last week's private test badly banged up, Sykes having fractured the radius bone in his left wrist, while Cluzel has a very painful elbow from his crash. Both men got out and lapped, though both were clearly suffering. Sykes ended the day as 10th fastest, while Cluzel was 14th quickest on the first day of testing.

Testing concludes tomorrow, ahead of this weekend's opening round of World Superbikes as the Australian circuit.

Results:

Pos No. Rider Bike Time Diff Prev.
1 2 Leon Camier Suzuki GSX-R1000 1:31.243
20 5 Alexander Lundh Kawasaki ZX-10R 1:34.612 3.369 0.518

Lap records

Pole record 2011 Carlos Checa Ducati 1098 R 1:30.882
Lap record 2012 Max Biaggi Aprilia RSV4 1000 1:31.785

Race Details
2013
Leon Camier has carried his strong form from last week's private test at Phillip Island into the official test which started at the circuit on Monday. The FIXI Crescent Suzuki man used a race tire to lap half a second under Max Biaggi's race lap record, then going on to post a strong race simulation. The improvements the Crescent Suzuki squad have made, in conjunction with the Japanese Yoshimura company, are clearly paying off, the Suzuki lapping a second quicker than it did at the test last year.Camier ended the session ahead of Pata Honda's Leon Haslam, the Ten Kate team well on their way to mastering the new HRC electronics, with still some potential left to come. Haslam was within two tenths of Camier, and just a few thousandths behind Michel Fabrizio, the Italian impressing on the Red Devils Roma Aprilia. The Italian privateer put his Aprilia RSV4 ahead of the factory machine, Eugene Laverty ending the day as 4th quickest, just two tenths off the time of Camier, and ahead of Marco Melandri, though the BMW GoldBet Italia rider is still struggling with his shoulder. Melandri complained of a lack of strength in the shoulder after just a few laps on the bike, giving the Italian some concern for Sunday's two WSBK races. A further operation could be needed to his shoulder once he returns to Europe after this weekend's races.

Comments

Suzuki at the pointy end?

This is starting to not look like a fluke. If the turnaround lasts that should make the season a bit more interesting. I've always thought Camier is a talented rider who seemed to be not producing what he should at WSBK level. Hope the machine stays good for the year. Impressive stuff from Haslam too, the Honda was also uncompetitive.

Checa; I thought he was unfairly penalised by the weight penalty last year, especially when you consider that the next Ducati in 2011 was 9th. The penalty seemed to be aimed at him personally, I'd like to see him riding the way he did in 2011, it was perfection.

Racing starts again next Sunday - at last, shame ther's such a long wait for the next one.

Total votes: 13

"Racing starts again next Sunday" correction needed

for rest of the world. let us know how the season goes...

Total votes: 9

I agree about your assessment

I agree about your assessment on Checa. It was obvious that the Duc's were way down on HP to the rest of the bikes and he had to ride the wheels off to podium.

Total votes: 6

What really sucks is

This won't be on TV in the US. Is anyone aware of how I can get my WSBK fix? Am I back to BitTorrent? Why would I want to watch it on my PC monitor, I have a HUGE TV and a couch. Grrrr!!!

Total votes: 8

torrents

I'm in the same boat, any suggestions as to actually FINDING seeded torrents? Seems to have been hit-and-miss some years.

Total votes: 4

I sympathise

I have to subscribe to Eurosport website so I can get the races streamed. This is because in the UK you have to subscribe to Sky to get Eurosport (and I refuse that because its a lot of money and I'm only interested in the bikes).

If you can subscribe from the States it's here:

It costs me £2.99 a month (about $5 I suppose). I plug my laptop into the TV, not ideal but does the job.

WSBK is great racing isn't it, more close races that Moto GP!

Total votes: 4

Thanks, Swiftnick

but we are a no-go here in the states. Access denied.
This is such crap - though I am expecting Speed to return my phone calls and love note on the subject any day now!

Total votes: 4

eurosport player

Hi Swiftnick

Are the races streamed in highhigh definition on eurosport player?

Total votes: 6

Guinters

Poor Guinters. He dumped Suzuki for Aprilia.
Don't think anyone blamed him - other than Paul Denning.
Now look what Suzuki are up to.

Total votes: 8

Yoshimura/ Suzuki

Glad to see Camier up there. Yoshimura had a very effecient team over here in the US. It seemed like their bikes were tuned well enough, had good riders too, (which is why I hesitate to say how much the bike was or was not alot better than others), but it definitely was a strong bike.

Seeing Yoshimura enter the picture last year and seeing the results from the runs in this test has reinforced my belief in Yoshimura as a top class tuner.

Hope to see Camier up there in races this year. He seems to be at least as talented as Tom Sykes IMHO. The more people vying for wins the better. This is getting me so pumped for the season in WSBK it is not funny.

I also agree with Swiftnick about Checa.

Total votes: 7