WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
David Emmett6 hours 54 min ago
paulj7 hours 26 min ago
Speeddog8 hours 1 min ago
Machine8 hours 7 min ago
sinbad3178 hours 27 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Jack Miller: «Beginne in der MotoGP bei Ground Zero»
- LCR-Chef Lucio Cecchinello: Was sich für 2015 ändert
- Eugene Laverty: Bruder Michael drückt die Daumen
- Marc Marquez (Honda): «MotoGP-Titel 2014 war Pflicht»
- Jack Miller/MotoGP: «Ich bin ein Clown»
- Casey Stoner nach HRC-Test: Etwas eingerostet
- MotoGP-Test Valencia: Was sich für 2015 alles ändert
- MotoGP-Kalender 2015: Wieder vier Rennen in Spanien
- Gigi Dall'Igna/Ducati: «Testfahrer Pirro bleibt»
- Dr. Mir rätselt: Wie hielt Espargaró den Schmerz aus?
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: