WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
macrocephalic1 hour 2 min ago
LewTheShoe1 hour 2 min ago
David Emmett1 hour 24 min ago
Lilyvani1 hour 34 min ago
thecosman1 hour 36 min ago
- Tech3: Kein Yamaha-Angebot für Alex Rins!
- Márquez-Ingenieur: «Elektronik nicht Geheimnis»
- Aragón-GP: Der Zeitplan des Rennwochenendes
- Dani Pedrosa, Miller & Viñales über Kindheitsidole
- Jorge Lorenzo: Großer Druck nach Rossi-Sieg?
- MotoGP-WM 2015: Voraussichtlich 24 Fahrer, 5 Werke
- Remus Racing: Wildcard-Einsätze für 2014 gestrichen
- Michael Bartholemy (VDS): Was er Jack Miller zutraut
- Drahtseilakt: Bradl & Co. über Stürze und Angst
- Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati): Minus 35 Sekunden!
Subscribe to email update: