WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Motoshrink1 hour 39 min ago
Motoshrink1 hour 45 min ago
Kiwi4 hours 2 min ago
Yamaha2strokes9 hours 53 min ago
Overhead valve16 hours 29 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Domi Aegerter: Reifen machen MotoGP-Test zur Farce
- Angel Nieto: Erster Fahrer auf dem «Walk of Fame»!
- Mike Leitner: «Stefan Bradl muss 2015 Zeichen setzen»
- Movistar-Yamaha-Team: Grüne M-Logos zu ähnlich?
- Wilco Zeelenberg (Yamaha): Sorgen wegen Einheits-ECU
- KTM-Teamchef Aki Ajo: Interesse am MotoGP-Aufstieg?
- Mike Leitner: Die Höhen und Tiefen mit Dani Pedrosa
- Sergio Verbena (Forward): Für Sepang-Test startklar
- Guidotti/Pramac: «Hernandez muss neugieriger werden»
- Rookie Jack Miller: «Ich war schon immer verrückt»
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: