WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
DC15 min 22 sec ago
Don Vito Perleone2 hours 16 min ago
motomann2 hours 26 min ago
Sasquatch Bob3 hours 49 sec ago
cycomiko3 hours 52 min ago
- Maverick Vinales: I feel ready for MotoGP
- Davide Brivio (Suzuki): «Wollen an Ducati rankommen»
- Héctor Barbera: Er hatte kein Motorrad zum Wechseln
- Marc Márquez: Wie lange kann er so stark dominieren?
- Suzuki-MotoGP: Mit Reihenmotor zum Erfolg?
- Offiziell: Suzuki mit Aleix Espargaró und Viñales
- Aragón-GP: 410.000 Zuschauer bei Sport1
- Dorna-CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta über Jack Miller
- Carmelo Ezpeleta über Ducati, Suzuki & Brasilien
- 2015: MotoGP-Aus für IodaRacing?
Subscribe to email update: