WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Swiftnick2 min 24 sec ago
Swiftnick19 min 26 sec ago
motomann3 hours 40 min ago
macrocephalic6 hours 37 min ago
macrocephalic6 hours 44 min ago
- Lucio Cecchinello (LCR): «Natürlich bin ich traurig»
- Randy de Puniet: Kein Platz mehr im MotoGP-Startfeld?
- 2015: Keine weicheren Hinterreifen für Open-Bikes?
- Nicky Hayden: Rückkehr in Misano oder Aragón?
- Valentino Rossi (35): Keine Spur von Rennmüdigkeit
- MotoGP-Startfeld 2015: Nur noch wenige Plätze frei
- Dani Pedrosa: Ist er mit seinem Latein schon am Ende?
- Eugene Laverty und Johnny Rea: Platz in der MotoGP?
- Hervé Poncharal: Marcel Schrötter 2016 in der MotoGP?
- Leon Camier: Auch in Silverstone Ersatz für Hayden
Subscribe to email update: