WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
patnicholls1 hour 19 min ago
Firefly1 hour 29 min ago
Firefly1 hour 32 min ago
rsciandphi1 hour 44 min ago
sinbad3173 hours 15 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Aprilia-Rennchef: Neuer Motor hat sich bewährt
- Jack Miller in Sepang: Erster MotoGP-Sturz!
- Honda: Keine Extrawurst für Crutchlow und Redding
- Marco Melandri (Aprilia): «Stecke im Schlamassel»
- Teamorder: Was Rossi, Bradl & Co. davon halten
- Marc Márquez: «Hatte Angst, dass mich Gegner hassen»
- Stefan Bradl: Passt die Yamaha besser zu ihm?
- Rookie Loris Baz (Forward): «Das ist seltsam»
- So sieht Suzukis MotoGP-Bike GSX-RR 2015 aus
- Andrea Dovizioso: «Neuer Ducati-Rekord in Jerez»
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: