WSBK News: Results Of Race Two Changed After Appeal
The last lap of the second World Superbike was frought with controversy after an overtake followed by an off-track excursion. The results of third and fourth place in the race have subsequently been reversed, following an appeal.
Sylvain Guintoli was overtaken by Tom Sykes and pushed back to fourth place as Sykes chased second-place Marco Melandri. As Sykes approached Melandri at the Variante Della Roggia, he had to run off track to avoid the Italian's rear wheel. Upon rejoining the race, Sykes returned to his place ahead of Guintoli, causing the Frenchman to slow down, ending his run for the podium.
When Guintoli arrived at Parc Fermé, he thought that he would be assured of third place assuming that Sykes had broken the rules exiting in front of him. As Sykes was awarded third place, Aprilia appealed the result and were successful in getting the third and fourth places swapped. Sylvain Guintoli then tweeted a photograph of himself standing on a plastic box with 3 scrawled on the front, holding the third place trophy.
Guintoli's lead in the championship is now extended to 16 points from Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes is a further 8 points behind.
Update: This decision has since been reversed. Sykes has been reawarded third place.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
David Emmett9 min 5 sec ago
mtiberio29 min 32 sec ago
mtiberio1 hour 6 min ago
moto41 hour 42 min ago
mugwump4 hours 37 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Valentino Rossi: Titelchance von Rabat & Márquez
- Valentino Rossi: Geld als Motivation für 2. WM-Rang?
- Andrea Iannone: Wieso kein Strafpunkt für Márquez?
- Stefan Bradl über die Hitze: «Die Sohlen brennen»
- Pol Espargaró (12.): Schmerzen nach hartem Crash!
- Cal Crutchlow (8.): Chattering – «sehr enttäuscht»
- Aleix Espargaró: Startplatz 7 trotz Augen-Problem!
- Andrea Dovizioso (5.): «Keine perfekte Runde»
- Alvaro Bautista verzweifelt: «Die gleichen Probleme!»
- Dani Pedrosa (2.): Dritter Sepang-Sieg in Folge?
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: