Rizla Back With Suzuki, Says Capirossi
For a long time now, the question of Rizla's sponsorship has been hanging over Suzuki like a sword of Damocles. Rumors that the cigarette paper manufacturer would not extend its contract have been rife, especially in the Spanish and Italian press. And after the team turned up in traditional factory colors, it looked like their could be some substance to those rumors.
Fortunately for Suzuki, all those reports appear to wrong. Loris Capirossi told GPOne.com today that Rizla have signed a new contract with Suzuki for 2009. According to Capirex, the deal was done after the Sepang tests, where the Italian and his Australian team mate Chris Vermeulen set some outstanding times.
When contacted by MotoGPMatters.com, Tim Walpole, the press spokesman for the team denied that a deal had already been done. "Loris is probably jumping the gun on this one," he said. "We're still in discussions with Rizla, but no deal has been signed. The discussions are taking place in a very positive atmosphere, and we're pretty sure we'll come to an agreement." When asked whether the positive air to the talks was down to Suzuki's excellent showing at the recent Sepang tests, Walpole replied, "Well it can't have hindered, but the talks were already very positive before we went to Malaysia."
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Get your exclusive MotoMatters t-shirts here!
Follow MotoMatters on Twitter
59 of #58 - Andrew Wheeler's Tribute In Pictures To Marco Simoncelli
The most Important Race In The World
How To Save MotoGP, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
LCR Honda's Inspire Magazine
Help a MotoGP fan fight brain cancer
Motoshrink2 hours 3 min ago
Averagerider4 hours 10 min ago
Averagerider4 hours 31 min ago
ghostrider116 hours 54 min ago
redboots22 hours 58 min ago
- Baz ruled out of Magny-Cours World Superbike round
- Snetterton BSB: Brookes to give new engine spec full test
- Melissa Paris Wins Grant From Women's Sports Foundation To Go Racing
- Dorna Releasing Feature-Length Documentary On Marquez's MotoGP World Championship Season
- Team Hero EBR's May And Yates Will Race In 2014 FIM Superbike World Championship
- Ducati-Rennchef Gigi Dall'Igna: 2015 um den WM-Titel?
- Sean Emmett: In Heathrow wegen Mordverdacht verhaftet
- Dorna: Zwei Autos mit Prominenten bei Eisrennserie
- Video: Jorge Lorenzo zeigt seine Traumvilla
- Valentino Rossi über 2014: «Siege sind das Ziel»
Subscribe to email update: