Laguna Seca Race topic 2013 Rnd 9. **spoilers**

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class

Re: Laguna Seca Race topic 2013 Rnd 9. **spoilers**

Postby freighttrain on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Yes... Should've a very good race...
I expect a lot more pace from Cal and Rossi...

Rossi seemd to be playing around with used tires to prepare for the second half of the race, which is something that Rossi of 'ol was always good at... Racing on tires as they go off...

I was really impressed with Cal's Q2 effort...
To get as close as he did with only 1 flying lap was very impressive, as I think he has more in the bag if he, like Bradl and Bautista, was out there for more consecutive laps to gain a rhythm ... Which Cal was unable to do with all of the problems that he had with both bikes on Saturday afternoon...

Not taking anything away from the satelite honda's...
But I think in the end?
It will be between Marc, Rossi, and Cal...
I think that all three are very driven... And hope that all keep it upright..
I have a feeling that Jorge may be close to 4th by the end of the day, but this track will be a lot different for him physically... Seems to be a very demanding place to round 32 times...
freighttrain

Postby Squidpuppet on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Zaphod wrote:Yeah, I know......

The reason for wondering is, part of me is hoping he's got a bit more than he's letting on, and that ,"surprise !!", he moves forward and rattles a few tomorrow.
!

Probably. That's why he's been "saving" himself and skipping sessions. At least that's what he said. I believe it is highly probable that we will see Dani go very fast early on. I just dont know (and I doubt he does wither) how long he can keep it up. The painkillers solve the pain issue, but feeling weak has got to suck at the Corkscrew.
Squidpuppet

Postby Squidpuppet on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Is Bradl on Brembos again this weekend, or did HRC force the team to go back to the Nissens?
Squidpuppet

Postby CTK2 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:11 pm

danwilliams wrote:Ben Spies, what a class act this guy is. Shows no resentment whatsoever toward Yamaha or any other riders, doesnt complain about his possibly career changing injury just takes it all in his stride. He was enthusiastic and seemed genuinely happy.

Looking forward to his return at Indy.

Spies is a brilliant announcer. They should give him a full time job in the booth if he winds up quitting this year. His insights from the POV of an actual rider are invaluable. His insights are way deeper than the other announcers.
CTK2

Postby CLX on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Anyone watched warmup?> Lorenzo seemed ready to go. Don't count him out.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. We are someone's fiction.
CLX

And....we are off

Postby Squidpuppet on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Sunny, warm, here we go................ Image
Squidpuppet

Postby coyote on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Honda domination? That race never really took off besides the amusing Corkscrew re-incarnation. BTW, not really liking that they've turned the inside of the corner completely to asphalt.

Somehow it feels like a 2-man race for the title with the Honda-tracks coming up.
Last edited by coyote on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coyote

Postby Squidpuppet on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Cal???????????
Squidpuppet

Postby Japhrodisiac on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 am

CTK2 wrote:
danwilliams wrote:Ben Spies, what a class act this guy is. Shows no resentment whatsoever toward Yamaha or any other riders, doesnt complain about his possibly career changing injury just takes it all in his stride. He was enthusiastic and seemed genuinely happy.

Looking forward to his return at Indy.

Spies is a brilliant announcer. They should give him a full time job in the booth if he winds up quitting this year. His insights from the POV of an actual rider are invaluable. His insights are way deeper than the other announcers.

Great perspective from Ben the last few times he's been on the mic. Really adds another dimension that's missing especially with Nick Harris there, who cant get which rider it is or which corner they are on straight.
Japhrodisiac

Postby coyote on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:12 am

Japhrodisiac wrote:
Great perspective from Ben the last few times he's been on the mic. Really adds another dimension that's missing especially with Nick Harris there, who cant get which rider it is or which corner they are on straight.

Which directly leads to Harris being much more tolerable/better, since he doesn't have to be talking so much and analyzing things he has no understanding of.
coyote

Postby Zaphod on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:40 am

Amazing ride from Marquez, Bradl and Bautista.
49yr old finishes 3rd at Suzuka 8hr.......wearing his arch rivals helmet colours.
Zaphod

Postby CLX on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:49 am

I would have liked to see Bradl win, but still, Marquez just had those extra tenths and rode a great race too.

I'm sure Pedrosa and Lorenzo have more in their minds now than simply getting fit. Indy has been a Honda track and if Marquez wins again, he might actually have a point gap to manage between Yamaha tracks and the Honda tracks for the rest of the season. And he has already tested at three of them, Aragon, Sepang and Valencia.

Cal had a very diescrete race. By his Assen standards, there is no excuse for finishing behind guys with broken collarbones if you have a factory bike. The Tech3 isn't exactly one, but it's not far away. And he finished behind both today. Anyone knows why?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. We are someone's fiction.
CLX

Postby dave_m on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:48 am

Seemed like the Honda bikes had a little bit on the Yamahas here, this is the first race Crutchlow has finished behind either Honda satellite rider. Pedrosa also gutted it out a little better than expected, based on practice I thought Lorenzo was going to get the better of that contest.
dave_m

Postby CTK2 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 am

CLX wrote:Cal had a very diescrete race. By his Assen standards, there is no excuse for finishing behind guys with broken collarbones if you have a factory bike. The Tech3 isn't exactly one, but it's not far away. And he finished behind both today. Anyone knows why?

Cal's trademark weak first laps + no room to pass in all the traffic. I think he will do a lot better at Indy, that shit is like a 5 lane highway.
CTK2

Postby marianbv on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 am

I just wonder if there will be anybody left to stick to the tarmac at Indy ... the gravel could provide better grip than the track, anyway...
Somebody straighten out the road ahead, please!!!
marianbv

Postby Rusty Bucket USA on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 am

coyote wrote:...BTW, not really liking that they've turned the inside of the corner completely to asphalt...

Yes, thank you for noticing that, too.

I'm sick of the Corkscrew now... They either need to pave over the whole side of the hill and paint curbs in as "suggested racing path", or put deep gravel a foot beyond the curbs so that when you leave the track, you leave the race.

This is just ridiculous:
(Link to full-size original)

As you can see, it is old asphalt, and they've just let the sand go "away".
The internal combustion engine was not put on wheels just to rest the horses.
Rusty Bucket USA

Postby marianbv on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:59 am

And the one on the scooter would be ... ?!
Any hint about a planned move?
Somebody straighten out the road ahead, please!!!
marianbv

Postby CLX on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:02 am

Am I missing the sarcasm and irony or what?

-----
CLX

Postby danwilliams on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:05 am

MM93 overtake on VR46 at the corkscrew. Now ive watched this about a gazillion times and i cant work out how the Honda did not throw him off :?: :o

If you watch the replay when MM gets the bike off the track(over the line) he "appears" to throw :?: the front wheel left so when he lands in the right(last corner of the corkscrew) the whole bike is in correct position to pin the throttle out of the corner. He does this on loose gravel and sand. I apologise if this makes no sense so please watch it for yourself so i can hear others interpretations.

This is why i love motorcycle racing, as a rider i cannot imagine or visualise myself doing this without breaking a couple bones. Simply amazing :arrow:
danwilliams

Postby Zaphod on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:06 am

Rusty Bucket USA wrote:
I'm sick of the Corkscrew now... They either need to pave over the whole side of the hill and paint curbs in as "suggested racing path", or put deep gravel a foot beyond the curbs so that when you leave the track, you leave the race.

+1

You get pinned for taking short cuts that result in an advantage at other circuits.

That picture would seem to indicate some pre-meditation and planning. I'm not saying a certain somebody didn't do the same in 08 (plan it), but I haven't seen any pictures like that one. So on that basis, Mk 1 in 08 I'll treat as a complete, lucky to get away with it, stuff up.

It get's tricky to gravel trap it. Someone stuffs up and runs in there at a similar angle (if it were a gravel trap), and you could pretty much sumise that bike and rider are likely to be seperate entities, heading back on to the circuit.

Make it a 5 second penalty if you gain a position through doing it. 2 laps to rectify the situation, or 5 seconds gets stuck on you. That move, with the grate and everything else factored in, is bloody darn sight more risky than taking the 'screw properly.......which I assume is a daunting and risky enough prospect in itself.

I'm not slagging 'cause MM did it, it's done and it isn't what won him the race. If everyone starts trying it on though..... could potentially cause very serious injury.

Ask Doohan.........(different circumstances entirely, but the wall on the outside doesn't discriminate, neither does on-coming traffic)

............Stoner must've been pissing himself laughing if he was watching........ ;) 8-) :lol:
49yr old finishes 3rd at Suzuka 8hr.......wearing his arch rivals helmet colours.
Zaphod

Postby danwilliams on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 am

Zaphod wrote:
Rusty Bucket USA wrote:

+1

You get pinned for taking short cuts that result in an advantage at other circuits.

That picture would seem to indicate some pre-meditation and planning. I'm not saying a certain somebody didn't do the same in 08 (plan it), but I haven't seen any pictures like that one. So on that basis, Mk 1 in 08 I'll treat as a complete, lucky to get away with it, stuff up.

It get's tricky to gravel trap it. Someone stuffs up and runs in there at a similar angle (if it were a gravel trap), and you could pretty much sumise that bike and rider are likely to be seperate entities, heading back on to the circuit.

Make it a 5 second penalty if you gain a position through doing it. 2 laps to rectify the situation, or 5 seconds gets stuck on you. That move, with the grate and everything else factored in, is bloody darn sight more risky than taking the 'screw properly.......which I assume is a daunting and risky enough prospect in itself.

I'm not slagging 'cause MM did it, it's done and it isn't what won him the race. If everyone starts trying it on though..... could potentially cause very serious injury.

Ask Doohan.........(different circumstances entirely, but the wall on the outside doesn't discriminate, neither does on-coming traffic)

............Stoner must've been pissing himself laughing if he was watching........ ;) 8-) :lol:

my thoughts as well, i actually laughed when it happened.
danwilliams

Postby rrocket on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 am

Zaphod wrote:

Perhaps. But Stoner sure was crying like a baby afterwards about that pass.

Unlike Rossi who took it in stride....
rrocket

Postby danwilliams on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 pm

rrocket wrote:
Zaphod wrote:

Perhaps. But Stoner sure was crying like a baby afterwards about that pass.

Unlike Rossi who took it in stride....

Im pretty sure the Rossi v Stoner is a non-argument. Rossi is without a doubt one of the greatest racers and champions of my time. Stoner is something completely different, his only intention was to beat the track and the bike :arrow: listen to me, full of it :mrgreen:
danwilliams

Postby danwilliams on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 pm

As an aside, Yamaha are still running the fake VR46 advert selling bikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,............... bad form Yamaha
danwilliams

Postby yzr-m1 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:42 pm

As far as I am aware this is the only form of motorsport where it is acceptable to go off track to gain an advantage. If you need to move off track for whatever reason then fine, but it should be mandatory to give back the place or take a penalty. The precedence was set in 2008 and it now seems to be an acceptable maneouver...where does it end?
yzr-m1

PreviousNext

Return to MotoGP Class