Recent comments

• Yonny Hernandez To Stay With Pramac Ducati With Factory Contract For 2015   1 hour 14 min ago

but why not set him up with a GP15? This year Iannone, Dovi and Cal had one (albeit the updates). So why not have Yonny be the Iannone of next year?

• Yonny Hernandez To Stay With Pramac Ducati With Factory Contract For 2015   4 hours 56 min ago

Great News! Yonny and Danilo are great, likable characters in the paddock! Yonny's work on the open GP13 has been enjoyable to follow this season. Both should go well on a good machine!

• 2014 Qatar World Superbike And World Supersport Preview Press Releases   5 hours 9 min ago

Should be some good racing with the championship on the line this weekend, but I am sad that the season for both series will come to an end over the next 2 weekends.

It'll be interesting to see how the bikes perform in 2015 with all the changes.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   20 hours 18 min ago

Casey Stoner is retired. There is no need to rehash old arguments from the past and sling insults (even insults disguised as praise) back and forth about a rider good enough to win a MotoGP championship.

I am closing comments on this article, because I don't have the time or energy to spend moderating it. That, I acknowledge, is my fault. My apologies to all those of you who wished to make a positive contribution.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   20 hours 51 min ago

That'd sort the men from the boys.

Seeing riders sliding vicious 2-strokes was always fun.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   21 hours 25 min ago
    FFS

Can't you Stoner Fanbois and Stoner Haters just put the handbags away?

Even a mere tangential reference to Stoner and you guys are swinging for blood.

Then an article that's partially about Stoner and it's Handbag Death Match.

Really.
    Please give it a rest.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   21 hours 31 min ago

This might seem like an odd choice given Stoner lost that race and is generally considered to have been outraced by Rossi. But with hindsight its pretty incredible that Stoner was even at the pointy end at all on that bike, and if you can forget the rest of the malarky its incredible to see him taking it to the most dominant racer of modern times riding the Yamaha which was the best bike of the time. Stoner was pretty special at Laguna and it really was an epic encounter, made possible only by Stoners talent.

There was a few great rides at Laguna, but Id also watch any race of Stoner at Assen or Phillip Island, he put in some amazing rides at Catalunya, and he was incredible to watch on the Ducati at Sachsenring. He didnt always win there but watching wrestling the understeering Ducati at the tightest rack on the calendar was spectacular.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   21 hours 51 min ago

Excellent choice - and the first five bikes across the line were Ducati, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki.
    A golden age of racing - our grand-kids will never believe it.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   22 hours 5 min ago

Let's be accurate here - he was a professional bike racer contractually forced into the role of corporate spokesman.
    Nothing of value is ever revealed at these events. He was an artist - his paint was the bike and his canvas was the track. If you care about his performance, rewind the tape and watch him practice his craft.
    These days I never bother to watch the post-race babble-fest. I feel like I've heard it all before, but I'd rather like to see that 'Piss off, ya wankers" press conference. It sounds refreshingly honest.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   22 hours 13 min ago
    Yep

What I perceive to be Stoner's selfishness deprived us MotoGP fans of what might have been the most incredible motorcycle roadracing the universe has yet seen. Hmmph. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's only my own selfishness that can even justify being angry at such a thing. That's the nature of professional entertainment: if the world cares, it matters.

Which is why it was a continual slap in the face to anyone who cared--i.e. anyone who paid his salary by putting eyeballs on his sponsor's logos--that Stoner was so recalcitrant when he raced. And such a final whack when he suddenly took his millions--our millions, since he'd never have gotten them without us--and went home.

That Casey Stoner could turn the fastest lap times when it counted wouldn't have made a bit of difference if the world hadn't cared. You don't get the cash simply because you're fast. You get the cash because it's perceived by some that the world cares that you're fast.

It'd be so cool to watch five aliens plus Dovizioso and The Een One, Smith, Crutchlow, the Escargot brothers, Hernandez, Redding, and Bradl. Not to mention the new ones next year.

In the final analysis, Stoner paid his dues and we pretty much got what we bargained for. Still, if only....

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   22 hours 31 min ago

Stoner was a corporate spokesman.

Grouchiness is one thing. Acting like my caring about his performance as a professional motorcycle racer is the stupidest thing he's ever had to deal with is another.

It doesn't have to be a choice between "I'd like to thank..." or "Piss off, ya wankers." There's a bunch of middle ground.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   22 hours 35 min ago

Catalunya 2007. Head to head with Rossi all race long. Awesome.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   23 hours 9 min ago

Geez - all this griping about his press conference skills. He was a motorcycle racer, not a corporate spokesperson.
    Haven't you ever seen New England Patriot coach Bill Bellichick's deadpan post-game sparring with the NFL press hacks? Stoner came across like a cherub compared to the 'grey-hooded one'. Personally I'd sooner see a genuine response - grouchy or not - rather than meaningless smooth patter which is the standard post-race fare: " I got a good/bad start. The bike handled well/poorly. The tires held up/lost grip. I'd like to thank umbrella girl Masaki/Mary Sue for all her hard work."
    Whatever - each to his own, I guess.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   23 hours 17 min ago

Look closely at pics 2 and 4. That's not the look of a man hell-bent on making a comeback. Except for seconds.

Which is too bad, because whatever you say about his attitude, and I don't think the viewing public knows jack all about it, really, the man could flat out fly on a motorcycle. We'd have a real "fast five" if he was running today, if you want to put Pedrosa in with the rest.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 1 hour ago

not sure if I agree, Casey had a rep for showing little emotion especially in the Ducati days, but his first year with Honda the guy was all smiles, practically beaming (in fact, I was getting mad at David for every time the words "chesire cat" followed the words "Casey Stoner"! haha) Could you imagine if Casey was back now that Rossi is back with Yamaha!? The sparks would be flying!!! I don't believe the series is better without him. How could any series be better when one of the most talented people leaves early?

#fanboy

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 1 hour ago

Unwillingness to perform sponsor duties = integrity.

Was Stoner's "private personae" as dour as his "public" one? Or was he a happy, fun-loving guy at home and just Mr Frownyface at work? And how is either proof of integrity?

Stoner had no more nor less integrity than any other rider. He just wasn't as happy. For some reason.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 1 hour ago

Or Casey developing the Ducati, wildcards next season, and back at it for 2016 when so much is up in the air that the return just HAS to happen.
    ;)

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 1 hour ago

He seems good at getting some time on the bike while having control over the details. More power to him. The personal/personality attacks from the peanut gallery that ensue when some of us devolve around Stoner vs Rossi, Stoner's illness, his handling of the press, or choosing to leave the circus is something I am glad to have to swipe past less and less. Same goes for the Crutchlow criticisms in that regard. Particularly because Stoner and Crutchlow both have less differentiation of "person" and "public personae." Me? I call this INTEGRITY.

Now if we are dabbling in the momentary dreaming, I put Casey on immediate development duties of a RED bike, with 2015 wildcards of and....
    ;)

I am glued to news on the Michelins like 1960's wallpaper. Say something somebody please.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 2 hours ago

really any of the Phillip Island races from any of the years, my favs are the Ducati years though :)
    Personally, even though his results weren't the best of his career, the later Ducati years are my fav because in retrospect we now know just how impossibly difficult the thing was to ride. And you can really see it. Rewatching the '07 '08 '09 seasons is a blast!
    Oh! I can't remember the year but when he won at Mugello with Ducati, that was pretty special too
    The races right when he came back from sickness are also great, there were so many questions swirling about if he still had it, or had the passion, i my self wondered. He proved everyone wrong very quickly! Then a few years later I guess he proved them right haha

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 2 hours ago

Stoner, Mladin, Doohan, and now Miller--bunch of sourpusses who take themselves way too seriously. Guess I just prefer racers who understand the occasional self-depracating smile, like Bayliss, Rossi, even Crutchlow and Edwards.

That said, I, too, wish Stoner were still racing. Love to see Rossi and Marquez beating him.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 2 hours ago

Hindsight being what it is, you sometimes miss the true talent that Casey brought to the racetrack.

That being said, I would be curious to get opinions here on which races of his career are the ones worth re-watching. Which ones show him doing the impossible, doing the improbable and doing the holy crap, did he just do that? Not just the ones where he disappears into the distance, but the ones that show him battling, challenging, overcoming.

Thanks MM fans!

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 2 hours ago

Lets put them on the 990s.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 2 hours ago

It kills me to not be able to see lap times!

You think they remembered to change the fender sticker when they threw the Michelin hoops on? :-D

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 2 hours ago

Whether you like Casey Stoner or not, I can't imagine any fan of MotoGP or motorcycle racing in general wouldn't LOVE to see a rejuvenated Rossi, Marquez, Lorenzo and Stoner all going at it. THAT. WOULD. BE. EPIC.

• Casey Stoner Wraps Up Two-Day Test For HRC At Motegi   1 day 3 hours ago

if you disregard all the Alpinestar and HRC branding, of course.