Recent comments

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   42 min 6 sec ago

I'm sorry, but it is not credible to predict that a return to tire wars would lower costs for any teams beyond the leading factory teams. Currently, tires are free to all teams. With tire wars, the best one could hope for would be a couple of leading teams negotiate contracts for "free tires plus cash sponsorship" and a few leading satellite teams get "free tires." And the rest pay cash for tires, maybe half the grid, and it is the half that can least afford it. Go back to 2007 and see how it worked then.

According to David's article above, Bridgestone's cost to supply is nearly one million Euro per bike, and that is peacetime cost, while tire warfare would cost substantially more.

One thing is very different now from 2007: The commercial market for high performance tires is much smaller now, as sports bike sales have slowed to a trickle. Tire companies may be less interested in MotoGP racing programs because there is less commercial upside than there was back then.

Personally, I'd love to see Ducati's chronic understeer get addressed by customized tire development. Sadly, I do not believe that tire wars are economically viable in today's financial and sponsorship climate.

• Bridgestone Press Release - Masao Azuma Admits Bridgestone Puzzled By Extreme Front Tire Wear At Austin   1 hour 23 min ago

MM93 ran the medium front, same as all the others who had front problems. Marquez ran the hard rear. There was no hard front; soft and medium were offered.

• Casey Stoner: I Miss Racing, But Not Enough To Return   5 hours 39 min ago

Stoner left because of the media circus, Dorna's constant changing of the rules and the factories picking certain riders while tying other riders hands. (remember Stoner would never have gotten a factory seat from Honda at best his hopes were tied to a satellite team. LCR/Gresini= He would never be world champ and would be Bradl/Bautista)

One of Stoner's last comments was about how he thought RDP and other riders deserved a competitive bike with an opportunity to show their talent fairly against the best of the best.

Will Stoner ever come back? Sure as a Motogp legend. Or promotions at Phillip Island.

Stoner is not coming back, Spies is not coming back. Rossi is never going to win another championship, Pedrosa is not winning another championship and barring injury from Marquez, Jorge is hard pressed.

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   5 hours 53 min ago

This is a proposed idea not a Dorna rule.
    It's more in line with the spec ECU and the data sharing.

Dorna is about cutting costs, closer racing and the overall show(TV ratings).

Revised tyre wars could lower costs for all teams.
    Who knows with the right tyre we may see Andrea Ianonne, Bradley Smith or DePuniet win a race.

• Interview: Alberto Puig On The Asia Talent Cup And Developing Young Rider Talent   9 hours 1 min ago

Well spotted. Alberto Puig certainly isn't old enough to have been racing 106 years ago! Corrected now.

• Bridgestone Press Release - Masao Azuma Admits Bridgestone Puzzled By Extreme Front Tire Wear At Austin   10 hours 1 min ago

... marc ran the hard.

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   18 hours 44 min ago

I'd like to see a photo compilation of all the front tires at the end of the race at COTA 2014 in the MotoGP class. Just to see the shape of the front tire on each of the bikes. I'm not trying to bash Bridgestone, I currently have Battlax's on my Supermoto. Argentina should be a hoot. :)

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   19 hours 28 min ago

Bridgestone must share the data for circuits from the past 2-3 years with Michelin, Dunlop and Pirelli.

• Interview: Alberto Puig On The Asia Talent Cup And Developing Young Rider Talent   21 hours 51 min ago

Is the article (or Alberto) confusing Malaysia with Indonesia ? Most Malaysians speak some English, why would he need translators ? I am Indonesian and I know English is more a problem here, to the point that translators might be needed.

SE Asia is a huge untapped market though so it's good that Dorna and motorsports is looking to grow in this region

• Interview: Alberto Puig On The Asia Talent Cup And Developing Young Rider Talent   22 hours 9 min ago

"It’s a very important country for this - as when we were racing at Suzuki, in the 1908s, for example."

Is this a mistake? 1980s maybe? Or am I completely wrong here?

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   1 day 35 min ago

All teams will soon be running the same ECU and fairly the same engine spec. The difference will be down to the rider, the chassis and the tyres.

I say let the tire wars begin. This may give the satellite teams/Open teams a shot at winning a race or two.

Hell this may even bring BMW/Kawasaki back to the bid dance.

• Casey Stoner: I Miss Racing, But Not Enough To Return   1 day 1 hour ago

Could you imagine if your regular daily job was racing the Ducati? Your were actually winning on the thing and have people telling you how easy your job was. How happy would you be?

Now, think of your actual job. Fixing printers, computers, customer service or what ever you do. Understaffed. Don't have the things you need to get your job done, yet you still do it very well. Now your co-workers, boss, cusomers tell you how easy it must all be. How pleasant would you really be? Even now. He's done, moved on and people still put him down for a job he isn't even doing!

• Interview: Alberto Puig On The Asia Talent Cup And Developing Young Rider Talent   1 day 1 hour ago

If Aoyama and Nakagami is any indication, Japan still has plent of talent in the wings. If anything I would like to more japanese riders in the premier class and given more priority for factory rides as they were in the past.

@bemer2six

As an american fan I would like to see more talent, but given the way AMA have been spiraling down its incredibly hard to find credible/competitive young talent aside from Cameron. If anything its quite a shame for our sport, even Spies and Rainey lemented this:

• 2014 Austin MotoGP Sunday Round Up: Of Cracking Under Pressure, And Accidental Tire Management   1 day 4 hours ago

I hope to have time to write about those soon. However, I have been busy working on articles for magazines, as those help pay the bills. The more people take out subscriptions and become site supporters, the more time I will have to write for the site and cover all three classes (and WSBK) properly.

• Looking Ahead: MotoGP Grids Filling Up With Aprilia Working On 2016 Return   1 day 4 hours ago

I respect and appreciate your opinion, Chris. And I appreciate your apology even more. I can only assure all of the readers on this site that I try to form my own opinions based on my own experience and ideas. They may be wrong, or they may be right, but they are my opinions. Any information offered from sources paying me will be clearly marked as such.

• Interview: Alberto Puig On The Asia Talent Cup And Developing Young Rider Talent   1 day 5 hours ago

well done interesting interview held my attention to the end. I wish he would look at young American riders...

• Interview: Alberto Puig On The Asia Talent Cup And Developing Young Rider Talent   1 day 10 hours ago

Great article. Really interesting. Got towards the end thinking it would be good to see how the race looked. Chuffed to see the embedded video. Then got an error message. Dorna have blocked video on this site, try watching it on you tube. You've won awards for reporting on motogp, and nurture a precious fan base to Dorna's advantage. Might be worth contacting them to see if they can lift the block? Their short sightedness amazes me yet again.

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   1 day 12 hours ago

Just 3 tyres all hard compound to last on any circuit
    Slick - intermediate - wet

all the same at every round.
    riders will adapt.

cheap and simple

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   1 day 13 hours ago

It seems fairly clear to me - it won't be simple and cannot be simple. Or cheap. Most of us have little real idea of what went on or what was spent during the 'tyre wars'.
    The power/relationships between factories and suppliers (there are a few $ millions worth of tyre contracts for road bikes....) is one thing.
    The needs of different riders/machines/tracks/weather introduce a relatively huge range of performance demands.
    Commercial pressures and technical pragmatism will require the main teams to have one supplier. Any team which has more than one supplier will be rated third rate by the tyre firms. That's the top ten sorted then.
    Just like Ohlins/WP/K Tech/Showa the demands of "Give me the same kit and I'll beat him" will prevail over "We can design the tyre you want" - that is a huge challenge to any riders brain, and someone will always be seen as the 'go to' supplier because of recent history or time/resources in the paddock.
    IMO the Ducati/Stoner/Bridgestone manoeuvre was a one-off. Times and technology/understanding have moved on. Bradl's brakes and Bautista's forks have shown that data counts and the more riders on your kit the more data you have. If the rider and crew chief in one team cannot guide the R&D then another will. If you only have one, who knows where it leads you?
    MGP isn't F1 and degrading tyres doesn't appeal to my engineering instincts at this level of sport.
    Austin/Philip Island will still occur. People ask why MM didn't have a problem at COTA and yet Rossi did - just look at their height/weight and tell me that doesn't count.
    We have had that debate here before, but it cannot be ignored as it places exceptional demands on tyres - particularly for Rossi who is renowned as a 'front-end' rider. The differences between Honda's and Yam's etc. are relatively much smaller. Smith said he moved his weight back and altered the bike to take load off the front - he 'saved' his tyre but couldn't push for the podium. Redding - another large rider - had the same problems with a different ending.
    Electronics will be another factor too IMO. Just because the hardware is standard will not remove the factories ability to throw resources at optimising things and degrading tyres will only play into their hands. (Look at what happened when Ducati 'gave' everyone their Open software - most teams couldn't even gather the resources to look at it, never mind choose which bit suited them).
    The 'good old days' of simple solutions are gone - for me that's mostly good. But no system is perfect and I will have huge respect for anyone who can come up with a fair system that doesn't penalise the little guys and Elias', who I would love to see a lot nearer the front than they have been.
    I favour two things - more choices (probably more manufacturers too), and tyres that are relatively consistent over a race. I suspect most riders/teams/spectators will not wish to see anyone (whether he be a MM or Elias) have a lead (no-one really runs away these days) and lose it because of some fool of a tyre engineer, or his brief.

• Casey Stoner: I Miss Racing, But Not Enough To Return   1 day 16 hours ago

I don't think it's fair to lump MM and VR into the same group there. VR obviously puts on the smiles - even when he's not happy, see his face change as soon as the he notices the camera. MM just seems to always be genuinely happy - I guess he has good reason.

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   1 day 16 hours ago

Are the tyres too intolerant or the bikes/riders? Assuming the all the tyres were the same, Marquez managed to punish them all race without killing them.

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   1 day 16 hours ago

One way of looking at tyres is seeing them as just black blobs. The other way seems to be to make the tyre the most important thing in racing. Somehow Formula1 has succeeded in doing the latter and as is now the norm, MotoGP wants to follow in those footsteps. What dismays me about the whole tyre thing is that bikes (and in F1 cars) have to be designed around the capabilities of a tyre, which to me seems a bit like buying furniture first and designing a living room around it. I could be wrong though, I usually am.

• Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Marc Márquez: 'He’s playing'   1 day 17 hours ago

Jean Philippe Ruggia was a spectacular rider to watch with Keith Huewan and Julian Ryder call him Elbows and Knees but overall his performance as a rider in the 250 cc class did not produce anything particularly great. That could be due to the fact that except when he was with Chesterfield Aprilia along with Loris Reggiani, he ran on less than the best machinery available. You also have to factor in Tetsuya Harada, Loris Capirossi, Max Biaggi as his competition to realise that he was perhaps carrying a double handicap. Even the Aprilia in his and Reggiani's hands was not the best. It was only after Yamaha quit the 250cc class that Harada moved to Aprilia and little before him Biaggi had done after the partnership between Rothmans and Honda came to end. Capirossi also moved to Aprilia from Honda, and it was after this that the Aprilia domination began. The initial development for the 250cc Aprilia was done by Jean Philippe Ruggia and a little more by Loris Reggiani. But nothing can take away the fact that Ruggia was great to watch, so one could say he was the spectator's rider.

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   1 day 22 hours ago

In other words, back to 2002?

• End In Sight For Bridgestone As MotoGP Tire Supplier?   1 day 22 hours ago

"However, a major reduction in performance is one of the things Dorna is believed to want from tire manufacturers. Though they are adamant that safety must not be compromised, having tires which predictably lose grip halfway through the race would create more interesting race, they believe, as riders would be forced to pursue tire conservation strategies. "

Please, no. We've just had all that nonsense in F1, and even last weekend in Austin! How anyone could see that as an improvement is beyond me.

Tires need to become less important, not more. Another tire war brings along the same problem, all the talk will be about tires again. Screw that.