Guest Blog: Mat Oxley - Who’s cheating now?
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We are featuring sections from Oxley's blogs, which are posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Who’s cheating now?
So that’s the 2014 MotoGP championship dusted, best talk about something else…
We’re going to talk about rules, not MotoGP rules, World Superbike rules, and not so much the rules themselves, but the breaking of those rules. There’s been quite a lot of that going on in WSB during recent years, if paddock whispers are to be believed.
Race-winning and title-winning factory teams have been running cheater frames, trying to find an edge over their rivals. It’s got to the stage where pretty everyone is doing it, but all that’s about to change.
The FIM – who still have a say in WSB, unlike MotoGP, which they fully sold off to Dorna – want to get on top of the problem. The man in charge of doing that is racer Scott Smart, recently inducted as the FIM’s World Superbike technical director.
The word has already gone out to teams that cheater frames will no longer be tolerated and, in theory, they should already have disappeared from the grids. The legality scrutineering has yet to start in earnest because Smart has to devise a method of checking the frames, not merely for geometry, but also for thickness of different frame sections and so on.
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
breetrydierve8818 min 1 sec ago
v0dka12324 min 56 sec ago
eskothomson8 hours 43 min ago
briga9 hours 21 min ago
jakepeewee14 hours 7 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Suzuki-Boss: Schnelle Fortschritte bei Topspeed?
- Arzt rät ab: Kein «Superprestigio» für Nicky Hayden!
- Crew-Chief: Warum sich Miller & Stoner ähnlich sind
- Donington: Neuer Asphalt, Boxenausfahrt & Airfences
- Ducati: Wer fährt welches Desmosedici-Modell?
- Jorge Lorenzo: «Márquez? Talent, Mut & viel Risiko»
- Tests 2014: Jack Miller in Sepang, Bradl in Jerez
- Randy de Puniet: Erster Superbike-Test in Jerez!
- Alvaró Bautista: «2015 wird ein Testjahr für Aprilia»
- Jeremy Burgess: «Habe einen Schlussstrich gezogen»
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: