Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: Collarbone injuries in MotoGP
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We are featuring sections from Oxley's blogs, which are posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Collarbone injuries in MotoGP
They say that the only certainties in life are death and taxes. If you’re a motorcycle racer, you need to add collarbones to that list.
Bike racers break collarbones, simple as that. Wrists too, because when you jump off a motorcycle at speed it’s usually a hand or shoulder that take the brunt of the impact.
The clavicle – to give the bone its anatomical title – is the strut that joins the shoulder blade to the sternum, so it’s just asking for trouble whenever you land on a shoulder or an outstretched arm.
Which is exactly what Jorge Lorenzo did at Assen and Dani Pedrosa did at the Sachsenring – they both landed on their left shoulders and broke their left collarbones. Their heroics in deciding to race with their injuries were awe-inspiring. Made me feel a bit queasy, too. And now – through recent x-rays – we’ve learned that Pedrosa’s collarbone wasn’t just partially fractured in Germany, it was fully fractured. So he raced at Laguna with a fully fractured and unfixed collarbone.
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Motoshrink3 hours 27 min ago
Lilyvani6 hours 41 min ago
Lilyvani6 hours 54 min ago
Peka8 hours 23 min ago
David Emmett8 hours 43 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Moto3 Malaysia - Qualifying Results
- Glass caused Espargaro oil fall
- Glass caused Espargaro oil fall, out of qualifying
- IMGP: MAL FP4, Marquez in testa, Espargarò e Iannone non corrono
- Pol Espargaró: Teilnahme am Qualifying fraglich
- Andrea Iannone/Sepang: Verzicht auf Quali und Rennen
- Stefan Bradl (5.): «Im Qualifying ist alles möglich»
- Sepang FP3: Pol Espargaró schwer gestürzt – Abbruch
- Malaysia-GP: Die wichtigsten Zahlen und Fakten
- Nicky Hayden (18.): «Seltsames Gefühl»
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: