Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: Collarbone injuries in MotoGP
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We are featuring sections from Oxley's blogs, which are posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Collarbone injuries in MotoGP
They say that the only certainties in life are death and taxes. If you’re a motorcycle racer, you need to add collarbones to that list.
Bike racers break collarbones, simple as that. Wrists too, because when you jump off a motorcycle at speed it’s usually a hand or shoulder that take the brunt of the impact.
The clavicle – to give the bone its anatomical title – is the strut that joins the shoulder blade to the sternum, so it’s just asking for trouble whenever you land on a shoulder or an outstretched arm.
Which is exactly what Jorge Lorenzo did at Assen and Dani Pedrosa did at the Sachsenring – they both landed on their left shoulders and broke their left collarbones. Their heroics in deciding to race with their injuries were awe-inspiring. Made me feel a bit queasy, too. And now – through recent x-rays – we’ve learned that Pedrosa’s collarbone wasn’t just partially fractured in Germany, it was fully fractured. So he raced at Laguna with a fully fractured and unfixed collarbone.
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
joonyaboy14 hours 37 min ago
Rabid_Canine16 hours 2 min ago
Lilyvani16 hours 44 min ago
Lilyvani17 hours 8 min ago
Seven4nineR18 hours 52 min ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Michel Fabrizio Wild Card CIV
- Pramac: due GP14.2 per Iannone
- A new look grid for MotoGP™ in 2015
- Marquez brothers: ‘Different styles, same mentality’
- Yamaha Champions Riding School Adds School Events At Inde Motorsports Ranch
- Bradley Smith: «Wieder alles für Top-Result geben»
- Warum sich Cal Crutchlow bei Rossi entschuldigte
- Valentino Rossi: «Können härter gegen Honda kämpfen»
- Marc Márquez: «Valentino und Jorge werden stark sein»
- Stefan Bradl: Fährt er so lange wie Valentino Rossi?
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: