Guest Blog: Mat Oxley: Collarbone injuries in MotoGP
MotoMatters.com is delighted to feature the work of iconic MotoGP writer Mat Oxley. Oxley is a former racer, TT winner and highly respected author of biographies of world champions Mick Doohan and Valentino Rossi, and currently writes for Motor Sport Magazine, where he is MotoGP correspondent. We are featuring sections from Oxley's blogs, which are posted in full on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Collarbone injuries in MotoGP
They say that the only certainties in life are death and taxes. If you’re a motorcycle racer, you need to add collarbones to that list.
Bike racers break collarbones, simple as that. Wrists too, because when you jump off a motorcycle at speed it’s usually a hand or shoulder that take the brunt of the impact.
The clavicle – to give the bone its anatomical title – is the strut that joins the shoulder blade to the sternum, so it’s just asking for trouble whenever you land on a shoulder or an outstretched arm.
Which is exactly what Jorge Lorenzo did at Assen and Dani Pedrosa did at the Sachsenring – they both landed on their left shoulders and broke their left collarbones. Their heroics in deciding to race with their injuries were awe-inspiring. Made me feel a bit queasy, too. And now – through recent x-rays – we’ve learned that Pedrosa’s collarbone wasn’t just partially fractured in Germany, it was fully fractured. So he raced at Laguna with a fully fractured and unfixed collarbone.
Read the rest of Mat Oxley's blog on the Motor Sport Magazine website.
Official MotoGP.com News Feed
Harry46oo4 min 5 sec ago
patnicholls10 min 30 sec ago
Klukklauckluk17 min ago
macieira34 min 52 sec ago
David Emmett37 min 52 sec ago
MotoMatters Twitter Feed
- Miller: The bike is incredible!
- Brivio/Suzuki: Mehr Power, sonst in Schwierigkeiten
- Alberto Puig: «Meine eigene Meinung zu Pedrosa»
- Suzuki: Schönfärberei und wieder zwei Motoren Schrott
- Jerez-Test heute mit Stefan Bradl, Ducati und Aprilia
- Marco Melandri: Neuer Aprilia-Motor eine Überraschung
- Maverick Viñales: Zwei Motorschäden beim Jerez-Test
- Aleix Espargaró: Gefühl besser, Power großes Problem
- Alvaró Bautista (Aprilia): «Motor ist zu langsam»
- Jerez: Drei Superbike-Piloten vor Alvaró Bautista!
General MotoGP Twitter Feed
Subscribe to email update: